MIDI Express XT sysex issue

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
agentbauer
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MIDI Express XT sysex issue

Post by agentbauer »

Hello all,

I just got a MOTU MIDI Express XT to replace my really old Midisport 8x8s, and I have run into a puzzling issue:

The interface seems to work fine, but then I tried using a couple of editor/librarians, in particular the Moog Voyager and Korg Radias, and I found out that if I initiate a bank receive transfer with the Voyager editor, it begins receiving, but when it reaches patch 28 it stops.
The Radias instead doesn't work at all and gives me an error message.

I also tried using the Little Phatty editor/librarian, but that seems to work.

I triple checked all the MIDI cables and connections, but to no avail. All divers and software have been updated to the latest version.

Everything was working fine with the Midisport.

My computer is a 27" iMac with core i7, and I tried connecting the interface both through a hub and directly to the Mac.
Is there some setting I am not aware of that is preventing proper sysex transfer, or maybe messing it up?

Any advice will be welcome

Thank you
hut

Re: MIDI Express XT sysex issue

Post by hut »

Hi,

I experienced the same issue as you and after exhaustive searching I've found the reason: the sad truth about MIDI Express XT is that it damages SysEx data coming thru it -- and because software editors for our synths (I have the exact same problem with editors for Radias, Miniak, AN1X and Evolver, running Win 7 64bit) use SysEx for comunication, that's one way of how the error manifests (the other one possible is even more entertaining -- imagine using SysEx dumps for backup of your precious patches... then what you have saved on your hard drive is a useless pile of bytes...).

As MOTU ignored all of my attemps to get support for this particular issue (and from what I've read, I am not alone in this), there is only one 100% working solution: Use a different MIDI interface for SysEx -- I am currently using Edirol's FA66 and it works flawlessly, as do many others).

From what I've read, the other solution is to use the old driver (version 1.01, version 1.02 allegedly introduced the SysEx bug), but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I can't confirm this... If you manage to find it, please let me know, thanks!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Has this received the chip upgrade so that it will function with an Intel Mac? Take a look to see if it needs it or not:

https://www.motu.com/store_products/har ... idiexpress

https://www.motu.com/store/hardware_rom_updates

It costs $20 if you need it. Most of these also have a CR2032 battery that causes problems if it fails.

I upgraded my MTP-AV last week.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
hut

Post by hut »

Thanks, but my MIDI Express XT is practically brand new, so I don't think this is necessary -- furthermore, the sysex problem manifests itself even if I use the patchbay in stand-alone mode, without computer...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Maybe I was asking the OP.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Seth33

Post by Seth33 »

I had the same problem. I tried repeatedly and unsuccessfully to send sysex information (song files) from an old Alesis Datadisk to an old Alesis sequencer and drum machine (all of which are working perfectly). At first, I thought I was doing something wrong, but I gradually ruled that out. I came to realise that it was the XT which was the culprit -- it in some way corrupts the information and renders it useless, shutting down the sequencer and drummachine in the process. MOTU simply must know that there is a problem in this regard and owe it to customers who have forked out big bucks for their products to do something about it. But, I could get absolutely no response from MOTU. In fact, not only did they never reply, they eventually removed my request for support from Techlinks.

As for the driver version, I am not sure about the numbers being mooted here, version 1.01 or 1.02. On the website, they offer a new update: version 4.0.48697. I am not sure if it will make a difference.

All in all, MOTU is the worst company I have ever dealt with and the MIDI Express XT the worst buy I ever made. An utter waste of money if you want to use it as a patchbay / router. I would strongly advise anyone thinking of purchasing it to not do so.
hut

Post by hut »

I've created 2 techlinks regarding the issue, the first one wasn't answered at all, the second one had one answer (requesting details) and then again, no reply. I'm 100% sure XT (even in stand-alone mode) is the problem, but I wasn't able to find version 1.01 anywhere (and certainly not on MOTU's site; older drivers offered there don't make any difference). I would've ditched XT long time ago, except as I know, there is no other stand-alone 8x8 MIDI patchbay manufactured today... :(
Seth33

Post by Seth33 »

I thought you might like to know of the results of an experiment which I did yesterday. I got a M-Audio Midisport 4x4 and, in conjunction with the wonderful MIDI utility MIDIOX (http://www.midiox.com/) which allows one to route the ports, I was able to easily send and receive songfiles to and from the Alesis DataDisk without a problem. However, when I tried to replicate this with the XT, once by using the routing capabilities of the XT itself and once by using the routing capabilities of MIDIOX, I was unsuccessful once more. Clearly, it seems to me, the XT does something to the information being passed from port to port.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Firmware 1.01, 1.02 is upgraded by replacing the chip. If, as you claim, it is nearly new, this is not your problem.
hut

Post by hut »

Seth33 wrote:I thought you might like to know of the results of an experiment which I did yesterday.
I did the same using Edirol FA66 and indeed, sysex coming thru FA66 is fine. I can also confirm that XT manifests the problem even in stand-alone mode (without USB)... So, unless MOTU tech support and developers become 10000% more active, the question is: Does anyone else in the world today make a standalone 8x8 MIDI patchbay with USB capable of at least a fraction of XT's features?
UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider »

Thanks for saving me some money, guys. I was JUST about to order a MIDI Express XT to replace my micro lite, since the micro lite sometimes locks up when my PC reboots.

But I use SysEx all the time, so this will be a definite no-go for me.

But like everyone else- what else is there?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have the MTP AV usb. Replacing the chip set so that it works with Windows and Intel Macs upgraded the firmware to 2.0.1 and I replaced the C2032 battery at the same time.

BTW, mine has a silkscreen on the face proclaiming, USB-Macintosh-Windows COMPATIBLE. My Intel Mac could not see it until I replaced the chip set and then it was fine.

I have no problem with sysex but maybe I'm not be using it the way that you do.

I found mine on eBay a number of years ago. They're averaging $125-$200 for the older usb version like mine. Again, the chip set to bring them current is $20 plus the new battery.
stratblue

Post by stratblue »

I too have had this problem, to add injury to insult it caused two Line 6 filter pros to fail terminally. Luckily, Juno records in London stepped up to the mark and gave me my money back. I'm now using an ESI 8x8 interface which so far works very well.
MOTU 828 mk3, genoQs octopus, TR8s, V Synth XT, Novation SuperNova, Akai Z8, BMW M3 V8 & R1200GSA.
sertem

Post by sertem »

Does sysex error still continue?