Ultralite mk3 non-hybrid several issues

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jonen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ultralite mk3 non-hybrid several issues

Post by jonen »

Hey there,

im experiencing several issues with my ultralite mk3 (only firewire) which i got some days ago.
Im using it with mac osx 10.6.8 and a firewire 800 to 400 cable. driver is 1.6 54199

after i installed the drivers the device was recognized and i set it up as output device.
But when i try to play a song in itunes, itunes immediately crashes and when i try to play a youtube video flash immediately crashes as well. same goes for quicktime and vlc.

when i start ableton and set the device as output it works. except the phone out has absolutely no sound, although it is set phones assign -> phones 1 -2.

I tried to reinstall the drivers several times but that didnt help. Neither did setting the ultralite mk3 back to factory settings. Yet i couldnt test it on another computer.
I tried to install the newest firmware. but am i right that there is non for the mk3 non-hybrid?
When trying with the hybrid firmware updater it says: "Fullimage_ultralitemk3.bin not found in resources for ultralite mk3. Select the file that has the full image." and it wants me to select a file.

Since i bought this device 2nd hand i have to know whether my device is faulty or my problems are completely software based.

Thanks in advance for your help
UltimateOutsider
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ultralite mk3 non-hybrid several issues

Post by UltimateOutsider »

jonen wrote:when i start ableton and set the device as output it works. except the phone out has absolutely no sound, although it is set phones assign -> phones 1 -2.

I tried to reinstall the drivers several times but that didnt help. Neither did setting the ultralite mk3 back to factory settings. Yet i couldnt test it on another computer.
I tried to install the newest firmware. but am i right that there is non for the mk3 non-hybrid?
The headphone jack on the UltraLite is like a whole separate output path; you can hook a stereo cable to it and use it for an additional 2 mono outs.

If you want to hear the main mix from the unit's headphone jack you have to set Phones Assign to Main Out 1-2. The "Phones" option is for like if you have a special monitor mix where you only have certain tracks routed to your headphones.

You are correct that there isn't currently a firmware update for the non-hybrid mk3.

Now, as for your problems with iTunes and whatnot; I don't know how audio works on a Mac. Hopefully someone with Mac experience can help. On Windows, things like iTunes normally go through the computer's internal sound card unless you force it through your audio interface in the Sound control panel- so the MOTU wouldn't normally have any role there. Macs may well be different.