Creating a Bus

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Creating a Bus

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Have you checked Configure Studio Settings (Setup/Configure Audio System) ? You can set the number of stereo busses - if that was zero it presumably would not give you the choice of busses.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I have just checked and if you put Stereo Busses to zero under Configure Studio Settings (Setup/Configure Audio System) then you do not get a choice of Busses in the dropdown menu. That must be the issue here surely? If you are new to busses then this must be it. Not sure where the manual would tell you that. Its a setup thing rather than a process.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Aaron Guidry wrote:Sorry to cause stress here, guys. I'm not a new DP user, just new to busses.

Yes, legit (and proud) DP user, and questions directly to MOTU TechLinks never seem to get answered. This forum has always been so much quicker and easier to get the answers.
No problem and welcome to the forum. Considering you don't appear to be hiding behind an anonymous screen name, I'm inclined to believe you. But you'd be surprised how often we get basic questions by people whose dogs ate the manual. :arrrr: :sorry:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
macguy

Post by macguy »

Guitar Gaz wrote:I have just checked and if you put Stereo Busses to zero under Configure Studio Settings (Setup/Configure Audio System) then you do not get a choice of Busses in the dropdown menu. That must be the issue here surely? If you are new to busses then this must be it. Not sure where the manual would tell you that. Its a setup thing rather than a process.
The default I believe is 32... so if there's an issue, it's because it was changed from that default. I run mine @ 99 always.
macguy

Post by macguy »

Aaron Guidry wrote:Sorry to cause stress here, guys. I'm not a new DP user, just new to busses.

Yes, legit (and proud) DP user, and questions directly to MOTU TechLinks never seem to get answered. This forum has always been so much quicker and easier to get the answers.

My drop-down menus for my "Input" on an added Aux track do not have "Bus" as an option. I'm using a MOTU Ultralite, and the Input menus from the Aux track on any window (Mixer, Tracks, Sequence, etc.) only show Built-in Mic 1 (Mono) and Built-in Mic 1-2 (Stereo) as options to choose. The "New Mono Bundle" and "New Stereo Bundle" options yield no other options as well.

If I knew how to post screen shots here, I would.

At a loss. :(
Hmmm... sounds like a channel instead of an aux to me, but I could b wrong.
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Have you checked Configure Studio Settings (Setup/Configure Audio System) ? You can set the number of stereo busses - if that was zero it presumably would not give you the choice of busses.

BOOM!! This solved my problem. THANK YOU!!!!
DP 11.31, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

You are welcome !
Gary Shepherd
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Now that I'm using a bus for vocal reverb, my vocal tracks have increased in volume somewhere around 4 - 6 dB. I know how to fix this, but I'm curious as to why this happened?
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

You need to set the reverb balance to 100% wet when it is on an aux track

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

stephentayler wrote:You need to set the reverb balance to 100% wet when it is on an aux track
That definitely helped. Why did that fix it? What makes an Aux Track unique like this? Thanks for the help!
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

It's not the AUX track but the mix being 100% if you have it at 50% then half of the signal is dry and you want a 100% wet signal for the reverb so when you adjust the "send" to AUX track with the reverb that's how you adjust the balance between the "wet & dry" signal. Have you worked with a live mixer before with
reverb? That's how it works you "send" some of the signal to the reverb and it's set to 100% wet and then you bring it back in on a return or "AUX" track and mix that in so you have balance of wet and dry signal.
If you were to put the reverb on an insert then you
would mix the balance right there in the reverb, but by
using sends and one AUX track you can send more
signals to the reverb, and save cpu.
Hope this helps.
Rick
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Thanks, rickorick, for the explanation. Any other advice on Aux's is appreciated.
sprout

Post by sprout »

SOS Digital Performer Notes had a feature on aux sends a while back: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb11/a ... p-0211.htm

might be something of use there for you.

cheers,
step
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 0SX10.6.8
UltraLite, DP7.24, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Komplete 5, UC-33e, Oxygen49, Motif 6.
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

sprout wrote: might be something of use there for you.
Thanks!
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

How do I know whether to use a mono bus or stereo bus? Is it mono bus for mono tracks and stereo bus for stereo tracks?