Displays/Monitors - what to buy?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Displays/Monitors - what to buy?

Post by BobK »

I'm another former Kensington Expert Mouse Pro user who never thought he'd give it up, but now uses the Magic Trackpad. I haven't tried out ji-touch yet, and I don't use any special gestures, but I still like it.

My main issue with the trackpad is how easy it is to do things accidentally. For example, I just zoomed in to this page by brushing my middle finger sideways while my thumb was touching the pad gently but unintentionally. Also, sometimes the trackpad doesn't connect when the Mac Pro awakens from sleep. So far, neither of these have been deal-breakers.

Back to displays: I picked up a Dell 24" LCD (2407 WFP) in the summer of 2006 after reading good reviews. I never thought I'd buy a Dell product, but I've been happy with it overall. It was $750 (before tax, shipping), and I think Apple's 23" display was around $1,100 - 1,200 at the time. One thing I like about this model is that the height is adjustable; not all Dells had/have this feature, nor did Apple's.

There were several revisions of this model, and I remember reading reviews saying certain earlier ones were problematic. This wasn't a deal-breaker, but I'd be similarly careful about researching a Dell now. Also, their support sucked, especially for a Mac user.

I've long considered getting a second display, but Shoosh and Mover got me thinking about sticking with one, and maybe getting a 27" at some point.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Didn't I hear, once, that Apple and Dell monitors are actually made by the same company? I mean, Apple isn't really a monitor company. They may design the product, define the specs, but the actual functional components are made by someone else who knows better. I heard about 5 years ago that Dell and Apple were using the same componants for their monitors, but Apple was charging a premium (big surprise). Not sure how true this is, but it makes sense to me.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
BobK

Post by BobK »

Prime Mover wrote:Didn't I hear, once, that Apple and Dell monitors are actually made by the same company? I mean, Apple isn't really a monitor company. They may design the product, define the specs, but the actual functional components are made by someone else who knows better. I heard about 5 years ago that Dell and Apple were using the same componants for their monitors, but Apple was charging a premium (big surprise). Not sure how true this is, but it makes sense to me.
I don't know any specifics, but I'm pretty sure I've read that Apple buys raw display components (like the LCD itself) from other manufacturers, just like they use hard drives and optical drives from Hitachi, Western Digital, etc in their computers. But just because they use, say, an LCD made by Samsung doesn't necessarily mean the end product will be the same as Samsung's - other components could be different.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Prime Mover wrote:Didn't I hear, once, that Apple and Dell monitors are actually made by the same company?
Dunno about that, but I do know that their 27" US has all (at least, AFAIK) the same specs as the equivalent Apple display. Of course, Dell doesn't have any of that special 'Stevie' magic, but from what I can tell, the monitors are equivalent.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Matcher

Post by Matcher »

I just got a Samsung s27a750d which is a full hd 120hz led display. I got it for gaming at 120hz, but I have to say the 120hz combined with exceptionally fast response time makes everything feel smoother and more natural than on any system I've used before. I think we'll see Apple adopt the technology probably sooner than later.
MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4