Did I just destroy my 828?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
aaronlyon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Did I just destroy my 828?

Post by aaronlyon »

The main and monitor volume pots on my 828 were very dirty sounding, making pops when turned. I opened the case and sprayed some Tuner/Control Cleaner & Lubricant (contains dichlorofluroethane, white mineral oil, silicone fluid, chlorofluroethane) into the pot casings.

Now it sounds as if I've just shorted out the two volume knobs. All I get is a loud hum. Imagine me swearing a steady stream of profanity.

Did I just kill my 828?

-aaron
DP7*, Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz, 12GB RAM, MOTU 828mk3, Mac OS 10.6*
* Bleeding edge updater--if it's released, I've updated, and bled.
wonder

Post by wonder »

I would say send it in and get an incredibly nerddy guy to take a look at it.

or just dip it in some sulfuric acid, that'll clear it up
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

Hello !
Normally !!! when a potentiometer start to do that , there is a need to replace it .....Have someone to replace that volume potentiometer ....
And if replacing it does not fix your recent problem .....well sometihing has happen when you have opened the box ....

Aramis
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
oldguitars

Post by oldguitars »

sounds like you over sprayed, wait for it to dry a little. Some of the juice prolly got somewhere it wasn't supposed to. hopefully....
3GHz 8 core, 6GB ram, DP 5.13, OSX.4.11, PTLE 7.4.2, Rosetta 200 digi003, waves platinum, mach five, distressors, ADL 1000, API, Calrec, UA mic pres, neumann, AT, shure, Sennheiser and rode mics...old guitars and drums...nord rack 2, s90, micro korg...yaddda yadda.
http://myspace.com/monkeydenrecording
aaronlyon

Post by aaronlyon »

Well, it didn't "dry out" over the weekend. I tried blowing out any excess lube, but it's still totally busted. Guess I've got to send it in. Joy.
aaronlyon

Post by aaronlyon »

I don't understand what happened when I sprayed the cleaner into the pots. I just did a test where I sprayed a puddle of cleaner onto a piece of plastic and used my volt meter to test conductivity. The cleaner is NOT conductive. So how did it short out my pots? Maybe there was already flotsam or debris in the pots that I stirred up with the cleaner?
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

aaronlyon wrote:I don't understand what happened when I sprayed the cleaner into the pots. I just did a test where I sprayed a puddle of cleaner onto a piece of plastic and used my volt meter to test conductivity. The cleaner is NOT conductive. So how did it short out my pots? Maybe there was already flotsam or debris in the pots that I stirred up with the cleaner?
Exactly , the cursor is isolated from de side of the pot .....Too much of your isolating stuff does it .......Clean it with alchool .....pure .....The greassy stuff will be removed and alchool evaporate fast .....

And also , preferably replace tha pot .....

Aramis
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
Resonant Alien
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Resonant Alien »

Not all "Radio Shack" type cleaners of this sort are intended for use on "delicate" gear. I have had friends do the same thing and fried equipment - the stuff can be pretty corrosive on some materials. It's better to use "canned air" - there are no solvents in it - it's just super-compressed air in a can and gets rid of most dirt and dust, unless you have gunk that is really caked on.

Good Luck! We all have fingers crossed for ya
aaronlyon

Post by aaronlyon »

I let it sit for 48 hours with no change. I used compressed air, but it didn't help, so I sent it out to MOTU.

MOTU will repair or replace my 828 for $50 + shipping. Unfortunately, it may take four to six weeks. Nevertheless, this is great support from MOTU, and I am very happy with their repair policy.

-aaron