How do I determine how much OTB Latency?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
gongbass
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do I determine how much OTB Latency?

Post by gongbass »

After being pointed to the 'Expert Sleepers-Latency Fixer' by this great forum I have a question that I'm simply lost on. I understand the process of inserting this plug on the "Send" track and how it works BUT I don't know the method for determining how much latency a track that I'm sending to outboard effects/compressors/EQ has.

Is there a simple way of finding this? I know PT and Logic have a plug that essentially does the math for you, like DP does with Plug Ins. I can't even imagine the time I'll save once I get this protocol down, so if anyone would be kind enough to explain the process, I'd be greatly appreciative! Thanks for reading everyone!
Mac Pro 3.2, 8 Core. Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0. (2) MOTU 2408 MK3's (BLA Mods) & 8 Pre. Motu Micro lite for MIDI (interface for Mac Pro) MOTU Ultralite MK3, Dp 7.2, Reason 4, Ethno 2, MX4, Symphonic Instrument, Mach 5 V2, Electric Keys, Ivory II Grand, Arturia CS-80V, Arturia Prophet V.2, PSP Vintage Warmer, Softube Trident A-Range EQ, IK Classik Reverb, Focusrite Liquid Mix, Peak LE

Affordable "E" Drum session work: gongbass@msn.com
Dan Worley

Re: How do I determine how much OTB Latency?

Post by Dan Worley »

There may be a plug-in that does all this automatically for you, I don't know.

Basically you just record the return and measure the difference between its starting wavefom and the original's.

Go to Setup > Time Formats and set it to show in samples. Go the the SE, turn off the grid and zoom in. Highlight the area between the start of the original's waveform and the start of the returns waveform and read the selection length (in samples). Divide that number of samples by the sample rate. The quotient is the number of milliseconds.

Oh, use a sharp transient soundbite to measure, like a stick click or something. It makes it much easier to see the waveform. Also, make sure you zoom all the way in or you'll get false results.

--
Edit: Changed "it's" (the contraction for "it is") to "its" (the possessive of it). I just hate that! :oops: :lol:

c-ya,

Dan Worley
Last edited by Dan Worley on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP10.13
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Dan Worley wrote:There may be a plug-in that does all this automatically for you, I don't know.

Basically you just record the return and measure the difference between it's starting wavefom and the original's.

Go to Setup > Time Formats and set it to show in samples. Go the the SE, turn off the grid and zoom in. Highlight the area between the start of the original's waveform and the start of the returns waveform and read the selection length (in samples). Divide that number of samples by the sample rate. The quotient is the number of milliseconds.

Oh, use a sharp transient soundbite to measure, like a stick click or something. It makes it much easier to see the waveform. Also, make sure you zoom all the way in or you'll get false results.

c-ya,

Dan Worley

That is the way to do it, but come on lets admit it, it's a PITA.

It's the one thing I've wished for in DP for a long time.....
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Didn't there used to be a calibration file included with the install disk around version 4.6 or so? Couldn't it still be used?
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
gongbass

Post by gongbass »

Thanks guys. So this isn't really any different from lining up spikes manually. Its still a time consuming process. Although, if the OTB latency is the same every time than this plug is actually a very big deal. Problem is from what I can tell, latency differs depending on gear being used.
Mac Pro 3.2, 8 Core. Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0. (2) MOTU 2408 MK3's (BLA Mods) & 8 Pre. Motu Micro lite for MIDI (interface for Mac Pro) MOTU Ultralite MK3, Dp 7.2, Reason 4, Ethno 2, MX4, Symphonic Instrument, Mach 5 V2, Electric Keys, Ivory II Grand, Arturia CS-80V, Arturia Prophet V.2, PSP Vintage Warmer, Softube Trident A-Range EQ, IK Classik Reverb, Focusrite Liquid Mix, Peak LE

Affordable "E" Drum session work: gongbass@msn.com
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I don't use any outboard boxes when mixing, but I would guess you'd only have to measure each piece once and that should do it. As long as you don't change the path it should be consistent each time (I would think).

Not sure if there's a tool for this on the install disk as cuttime suggested or not.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Works the same for every piece, and fwiw, my number hasn't changed since I measured it sometime in the DP5 era. Here's a bit from a thread on the topic from a few years ago:
To figure out my roundtrip delay, I measured everything every which way. My buffer setting had no influence on the roundtrip duration (And it's my understanding that it shouldn't. Buffer only influences things the app cannot anticipate, i.e. patch thru. But regarding playback from disk, and placing of recorded material to disk, the buffer delay will be compensated internally. AFAIK. I get confused.)

The Sample rate DOES influence the roundtrip delay. Haven't tested whether the bit depth does (I never use 16bit), but it logically should, too.

At 24bit, 44.1kHz my roundtrip is 120 Samples, again regardless of buffer setting, according to my test. So that's what my Latency Fixer is set to.(...)

To measure your roundtrip, make a two-pop (1kHz sine at -18 to -12dB for 1 frame (about 33ms) and insert it in a mono track. (I made like 30 in a row, every two seconds.) Make sure the wave starts at 0 and smoothly goes up from there. Send it out and back in and record to an adjacent track. Set levels to match as close as possible.

Magnify like crazy. (The new track's waveform will as a 'side benefit' show you a bit of the distortion your DA-AD chain introduces... you'll also see if your polarity is correct, not unimportant.) Then shift the new recorded track earlier until they are in perfect sync. Pan one left, the other one right and play back. When they play back good and loud and dead center, you got it. [sthg that's especially easy to check on headphones... note that since you will have some distortion due the roundtrip, and since you won't be able to match levels 100%, you won't be able to do a null test on this one.] DPs waveform display is amazingly accurate, so once you've lined up the waveform, the playback will just confirm what your eyes are seeing.

The number of samples shift necessary to get the recorded track earlier to line up with the original is your roundtrip delay. My number has worked for me in many critical applications.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Welcome back Kubi!
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

cuttime wrote:Welcome back Kubi!
+1000

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:Welcome back Kubi!
+1 :dance:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Thanks. Pleasure.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

nice to see you back here Kubi :dance:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I would have missed the return of the prodigal son! Welcome back!!!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Kubi wrote:Thanks. Pleasure.
I am so glad to see you back!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Hi, Kub. And yet another welcome back.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.