Waves Q-Clone with presets?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
felicopter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Waves Q-Clone with presets?

Post by felicopter »

Hey everyone,

just found out about the Waves Special
and Q-Clone for $48 sounds pretty sweet.

Are there some presets included by purchase?
Or do I need to capture them myself?

Any opinions on the plugin in general?

Thanks, ƒelix.
Armageddon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waves Q-Clone with presets?

Post by Armageddon »

While I've always been aware of this plug, I've never tried to use it before. However, for the sake of this discussion, I just loaded it up and, yes, it comes with a wide variety of presets (or for different applications (mastering, instruments, bell curves, vocals, etc.). I don't think any of them are actually specific to a "real EQ", though, so, to get the sound of a Pultec or a Massenberg, you'll still have to capture it yourself. Also, while you can capture and hold inside Q-Clone, I think it comes with a secondary plug called "Q-Capture" that also does this. It's probably worth the money if you plan on capturing EQs yourself; otherwise, if you're just planning on using it with its presets only, there's probably plenty of EQs out there that you can actually tweak that can do the same job better. Why not download a demo from Waves and see if it works for you, before buying?
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
OLB

Post by OLB »

perhaps you could check these impulses:

http://www.henryolongashop.net/Merchant ... ry_Code=QC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.henryolonga.net/Blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I guess it never occurred to me that there would be Q impulses for sale like IR impulses! Too bad this particular dealer doesn't have sound examples up, but I'm pretty sure there would have to be a wide variety of Q impulse dealers out there, both of the free and paid variety. If that's the case, then Q-Clone would be a wise purchase -- although, you'd have to bear in mind you can't actually tweak them, you'd be reliant on however the impulses were set up by the person who captured them. Meaning, if you wanted to adjust one band or add a low cut, you'd be out of luck, unless you found an impulse that was already set up that way. Waves should have tried to make it more like an IR plug, in which you could adjust more of the parameters (at least, have the ability to switch bands on or off), but if you can load it up and use impulses that were professionally crafted, I'd say it's worthwhile. Emphasis on "professionally" (unless you were capturing them yourself) ...
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
OLB

Post by OLB »

No sound demos but you can even try it yourself!

A very generous demo sample pack: http://www.henryolonga.net/Blog/?p=1004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under the Vimeo link you can click on Demo of samples. Have fun :)
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
felicopter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by felicopter »

Very very cool and interesting.
Thank you so much for your input!
Unfortunately I do not have my iLok with me right now,
since I am moving, but thanks to you I know more than I would have with just the demo :)