DP8 (or next version) speculation?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 (or next version) speculation?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It's all relative. Apple and MS have the resources to fast track stuff and keep (or try to keep) secrets from each other. That is, until some R & D guy leaves his new generation iPhone in a cafe somewhere. I guess we can hope some MOTU R & D guy leaves his laptop around... hee hee...

What's telling is that someone actually cares so much about this aspect of their music making. Really? nothing else to work on today? Heck, if you need something to do, PLEASE! UPDATE MY WEBSITE. Haven't touched it since mid-2008! :boohoo:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Matcher

Post by Matcher »

There have been rumours that Magic has said something about a new customizable menu and a window set, that would take advantage of hyper threading, allowing you to update your Facebook profile straight from within DP.
MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4
MIDI Life Crisis

Yes, but I heard that MOTU is doing so to incorporate Finale into DP and go into direct competition with AVID and PT! DP 8 is said to have instant recognition not only of what you play, but what you meant to play. All wrong notes fixed before they even leave your fingers.

And it that weren't enough, MachFive ver 3 as well as Media 100 are also included not as plugs but as core elements in DP 8.

But wait! There's more!!!

For an extra $99 there is a new stovetop audio interface that provides excellent BOURBON PANCAKES!

MOTU has to face, their secret is out! Can't wait to fill my face with these babies!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Speculation and future development goes in the MOTU "Theoretical" and OT section, not Techniques, etc. Topic moved.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

We need a food section too. ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:We need a food section too. ;)
LOL :lol: :rofl: :roll: So true.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I can think of a few things I would find useful but for the most part I feel DP7 is the best one yet.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Tab to transient, a Mastering limiter, thats about it.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
hrw

Post by hrw »

Creative block De-blocker plugin would be useful.... on occasion!
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
MIDI Life Crisis

Competition Eliminator Plug like they have in Ego v 1.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Here are two items I would like to see. I may have sent these to MOTU at some point; I don't remember. But I guess I'll send them again.

1) A Command-Drag (or any other key-drag) command for dragging and snapping any event or selection to exactly the desired beat or subdivision, as in dragging a whole phrase (MIDI or soundbite) so that the first object now is located at [for example] 25/1/000.

In other words, I select a bunch of notes with their associated controllers and/or automation, then I drag so that the first note gets dragged to an even 000 beat. (or 120 or 240 or 360, depending on the grid setting) I'm not sure it should use the first event or the first note when determining this. I'm inclined to say first note, as we may depress the pedal slightly before we play the note. We don't want the pedal being quantized, we want the audible phrase. So controllers would move in relation to the notes, but the first note would always be the one to be quantized. That could be a preference, actually -- note or event.

2) "Remember This Selection" and "Save This Selection." The first would save the selection temporarily for returning to it soon by invoking a key-command. The latter would enable you to accumulate a library of saved selections. This would in many ways simulate the Region behaviors that many people seem to want and love, while making it more useful in my opinion, and without having to reinvent DP to implement it. Right-clicking any event that was in a saved selection might immediately invoke that selection, or in cases where it belongs to two or more, it would drop down a quick menu to choose which selection you want. Think "regions," only a lot more flexible, plus they could be non-linear.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
hrw

Post by hrw »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Competition Eliminator Plug like they have in Ego v 1.
Hahaha. i like the cut of your jib.... still don't quite know what that means though... something positive think i... different.
h.

VI's/Plug-ins:
million others.
hrw

Post by hrw »

Shooshie wrote:Here are two items I would like to see. I may have sent these to MOTU at some point; I don't remember. But I guess I'll send them again.

1) A Command-Drag (or any other key-drag) command for dragging and snapping any event or selection to exactly the desired beat or subdivision, as in dragging a whole phrase (MIDI or soundbite) so that the first object now is located at [for example] 25/1/000.

In other words, I select a bunch of notes with their associated controllers and/or automation, then I drag so that the first note gets dragged to an even 000 beat. (or 120 or 240 or 360, depending on the grid setting) I'm not sure it should use the first event or the first note when determining this. I'm inclined to say first note, as we may depress the pedal slightly before we play the note. We don't want the pedal being quantized, we want the audible phrase. So controllers would move in relation to the notes, but the first note would always be the one to be quantized. That could be a preference, actually -- note or event.

2) "Remember This Selection" and "Save This Selection." The first would save the selection temporarily for returning to it soon by invoking a key-command. The latter would enable you to accumulate a library of saved selections. This would in many ways simulate the Region behaviors that many people seem to want and love, while making it more useful in my opinion, and without having to reinvent DP to implement it. Right-clicking any event that was in a saved selection might immediately invoke that selection, or in cases where it belongs to two or more, it would drop down a quick menu to choose which selection you want. Think "regions," only a lot more flexible, plus they could be non-linear.

Shooshie
def +1.

VI's/Plug-ins:
million others.
MIDI Life Crisis

hrw wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Competition Eliminator Plug like they have in Ego v 1.
Hahaha. i like the cut of your jib.... still don't quite know what that means though... something positive think i... different.
h.
Sorry. Should have been more specific. It's a plug that sends a 5k files to your competitor's computer (Mac or PC) and wipes the drive whilst sending all his contacts to you. V2 is supposed to also replace his name with yours on the machines of all professional contacts in his email account.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

DP8 (or next version) speculation?

Post by James Steele »

Transport control in CueMix.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!