MX4

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

tdblanchard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MX4

Post by tdblanchard »

I purchased MX4 as a knee-jerk reaction when i saw it on sale at guitar center for $99. the sad thing is, i'm a week away from getting my new cpu on which i will be migrating completely to osX.
What can i expect?
are the sounds that good??
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

You didn't make a mistake in terms of making synth sounds. In comparison, Reaktor is much more costly for possibly some incremental advantages. At $100 it is a great way to try out another MOTU product.
What Else?
BigEcat

Post by BigEcat »

I've had MX4 since its release and have updated to ver.2, and I••™m still having fun with it. What I love about MX4 is that nothing else sounds like it. I think you••™ll be very happy with you decision. It••™s very intuitive in it••™s layout, where other VI••™s (Absynth for example) I find not as user friendly in it••™s layout. My only complaint is that the sounds are sometimes brittle. But a little EQ, or sending it out to an external processor helps warm it up.
G4 Dual 1.25/2x80 gig HD/2gig ram/ OS10.4.11/DP6.1/828 MKII/UA-2-610/Mach 5-2/MX4/Waves Musican & Native Power Pack/Atmosphere/Stormdrum/Stylus RMX/Guitar Rig 3/Lots of samples/+7 cats
Flare

Post by Flare »

It's the best sounding synth to come out in the past few years.

This is an opinion coming from someone who currently owns:

Nordlead 3
Virus C
Novation Supernova

You really have to discern what you want from it. I do a sh*dload of patch tweaking and controller mapping to draw out the true power of the MX4. I was surprised at MOTU's not having great examples of just how insane the combination of filter/res/fm controlling could have on the more rhythmic stuff.

It's a steal for the price, but takes a swipe at lower life processors (Read: G4's)
Flare

Post by Flare »

Mr Video,

Reaktor and MX4 can't be compared. Reaktor has an inexaustable number of ways for a creative to make their own sound. Reaktor is far deeper than MX4, and the learning curve of specific ensembles is significant. That said, BOTH are worth their weights in gold!