OMF import (DP 7.22)

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Morpheo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OMF import (DP 7.22)

Post by Morpheo »

Hi,

I recently switched back from ProTools (9) to DP 7.22 (Been using DP for years actually, back when it was just called P :wink: ). I need to import projects into DP but something seems definitely wrong with OMF importing in DP7. I've looked into various threads and did the suggestions (mostly repairing permissions, embedded and not embedded, even opened the OMFs in Logic (which worked just fine btw) and re-export them from Logic. DP doesn't want to open them no matter what, and always gives me the same errors (-193 and -35).

Without the ability to properly import OMFs in DP it's almost useless, as I have tons of work already made in ProTools, the only way to go for me *has* to be OMFs... I can't consolidate some of these. No need to mention it's kinda frustrating so far....

Any secret hint? tx.
Last edited by Morpheo on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
sprout

Re: OMF import (DP 7.22)

Post by sprout »

How frustrating.

No secret hint, but FWIW DP 7.22 is handling OMFs without any problems here. I've just been double-clicking the OMF in the finder, then creating a new project when it opens.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 0SX10.6.8
UltraLite, DP7.24, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Komplete 5, UC-33e, Oxygen49, Motif 6.
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Well it seems to be working now! :woohoo: ;)

fwiw, if I uncheck the "enforce avid compatibility" and "quantize edits to frame boundaries" buttons in ProTools, and link to the original audio files instead of embedding in a single file, DP opens it like a charm. I will try other options (copy whole audio files etc...) but there's hope now! wheew! :wink:
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
sprout

Post by sprout »

Great news!
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 0SX10.6.8
UltraLite, DP7.24, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Komplete 5, UC-33e, Oxygen49, Motif 6.
anapena

Post by anapena »

I have imported OMFs into DP since version 4.5. Usually everything works fine, sometimes not. I have used ancient Nuendo as omf tool, nowadays it is too old. Logic 8 is now my backup tool. Recently I had to go back to the DP4.5 to open files right. 5, 6 and 7 messed up the bites. But 7.22 still crashes with this project, so I use 7.12. I must have the nerves of the cow... 8)
I have considered to switch to the new ProTools or Cubase/Nuendo. I don't know...atleast Cubase/Nuendo handled these omfs...
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Well.... What seemed to work still doesn't work at all. It's weird: the ONLY way to import an OMF in DP from ProTools is to simply link all audio files to the source folder in the OMF. Well, no big deal. Then, in DP, I choose said OMF which apparently opens just fine... One slight problem though: every track has magically become mono!!!!!! Yes I'm talking about a real mono signal, and I do make sure each and every pan button in DP is properly assigned to left and right... :wink: Just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, I listened to a drum track, solo, first test L+R: clearly mono, yet L and R buttons are both in place. Then left channel only: output obviously to "1"(left), BUT, still the sum of the 2 tracks on my left speaker!! That's the first time I'm *cough* experiencing such an issue. Then for fun only I tried the right channel, still the same, this time on the right speaker of course. While it might sound oddly funny, this is really, really, more than annoying, because I just can't use ANY ProTools project with DP, I can't import anything, and I have tons of projects I would need to use in DP. I thought getting back to DP would have certainly been easier... :twisted:

While I do enjoy DP more than any other DAW when I start a project from scratch, as soon as I need something that's been made previously in ProTools, DP becomes useless to me. Please MOTU, do something to fix this SOON!!!! PLEASE!!!!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There's more than one OMF file type so be sure yours are compatible. I can't remember the differences at the moment, but it matters. Sorry to be so vague about that. You can search the forums for more "OMF file type" stuff, It should come up.

I get OMFs mostly from Final Cut and they work fine in DP 7.22. Just did a two hours piece with many music and dialogue tracks and everything went absolutely smoothly.

BTW, you can hear the finished product on Turner Classic movies Apr 3, 2011 at 5PM PST, 8PM EST (check local listings). It's called Fragments.

Not much on the TCM link yet... there will be.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I use AAF between PT9 and DP 7.22. I link to the original files in order to prevent doubling the data. It works like a charm. I'm in the process of trying out the PT shortcuts in DP in order to prevent an acute case of Schizophrenia :)
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
dottedsixteenth

Post by dottedsixteenth »

I have been having a problem not only importing OMF files into DP6 but also connecting a movie to mix to as well.
My files are always on an XSAN and I get the MacOs file error-54. The work around at the moment was to copy the files to a local drive on the computer, then everything worked. However it caused me some embarrasment in front of clients who were saying "don't you have ProTools?"
I have always had issues using the Xsan to record to. Very unstable.
Anyone have any answers?
Dana Thomas'
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Have you tried clearing it up with Apple or Motu?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl