networking cables

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
jian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

networking cables

Post by jian »

I am having a hard time getting my MTP AV to network with my MTP AV USB.
I have read several post relating to this topic and from what I understand,
their are a few different versions on 8 Pin Mini Din cables. Can anyone
confirm this cable will work ?
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?c ... &sku=02316" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I spoke with someone at Motu who said it should work but he was
not positive.
I bought this cable and it's not working for me. I followed all of the steps
mentioned in the manual but still no luck. The motu tech support
said it may be a bad cable. Any thoughts?

thanks
1nput0utput
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: networking cables

Post by 1nput0utput »

It's also possible that the network port on one or the other MTP-AV is broken. You can probably find the pinout for the cable online to make sure that the cable you have is wired properly by testing continuity between the pins that are supposed to be connected.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
jian

Post by jian »

Thanks for the response. I'm not too sure how to test continuity. Could you refer me to a site that could help me with this? Would I use a regular electrical tester like the one I use for home electrical projects?

If the cable checks out correctly, should I assume the the net port is down? Is thier anyway to test if a net port is functiong correctly? On the MTP AV Parallel version, I see the net port indicator light up on the front panel when I play a connected synth but I do not see teh net port indicator light up on the MTP USB version.

Thanks again
1nput0utput
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by 1nput0utput »

You would use a continuity tester to check whether pins on one end of the cable are connected to the correct pins on the other end. Most voltmeters and multimeters have a continuity test mode where the meter will beep when the probes are shorted.

I don't think there's a way to test the network ports on the MTP-AVs, but based on your description it sounds like the port on the USB unit might be broken.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
jian

Post by jian »

Thanks again for the quick response I really appreciate your input. I will try what you said tonight and report what I find.
jian

Post by jian »

Update...I tested the cables I have and they are not RS422 compatable.
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... &sku=02316

I found an Apple Talk cable locally that is an rs422 cable. I still cannot get the two MPT AV's to network together. I only see the Net out light flash on both units. I never see the Net input light flash. I still do not see 16 channels in Clockworks. I cant see what i am possibley doing wrong, I am setting both up exactally the way the manual states and I have the correct cable linking both untits via NET port. So I guess one or possibly both net ports on each of my two MTP AV's broken. Any thoughts on how I could see which Net ports are broken so I can narrow down this issue? I have temporairly daisy chained the units so I can still send clock to the 2nd MPT AV which runs a MIDI FX units, but the timing is pretty bad. Any thoughts?

Thanks
jian

Post by jian »

I just wanted to follow up and post my progress....

I fianally got the 2 MTP AV units networked together and recogmized in Clockworks. Seems the issue I had was with the cables afterall. I was able to score another MTP II off of Craigs List for 25$ that included the original floppy disc, manual and RS 422 serial cable (thick black cable mentioned in other posts) Kind of a waste of money but I figured I would give it a try. And I'm happy I did because now I have 16 MIDI I/O for my rig at a fraction of the cost of another MTP AV USB.

Lesson learned; if you decide to buy a cheap MTP AV off of CL with the intention to networking it with an MTP AV USB, make sure it comes with the original serial cable because this cable is often harder to find than the unit itself.