East coast storm

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

East coast storm

Post by Phil O »

Holy cow, we're getting slammed by this storm. 70mph gusts, 18 ft waves, and folks along the shore getting evacuated from their homes. We're about a mile from the shore so we'll be fine here, but a lot of people are in shelters right now and a lot more have no power, and that means no heat for many. So far, the power here only went out for about 15 minutes. (I can't believe the linemen are out working in this mess. That's a tough job.)

Looks like I won't be going anywhere today. I needed a day off, but not like this.:cry:

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
kgdrum

Re: East coast storm

Post by kgdrum »

NYC got hammered as well,20" on average w/ lots of wind, so drifts are much higher.
only 3 more months of winter :shock:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Just saw pics on the news hopefully you won't get blacked out.
I bought a snow blower last year it hasn't snowed here since.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

wylie1 wrote:Just saw pics on the news hopefully you won't get blacked out.
I bought a snow blower last year it hasn't snowed here since.
Sounds like the opposite of the "just washed my car, then it rained" effect.

I guess you guys back East are now experiencing the storm the ravaged California and the West last week... Anybody watch the Poinsettia Bowl on TV? We got more rain in a couple of days than we often get in a full year. Qualcomm Stadium was filled with several feet of water 24 hours before the game. San Diego locals worked round the clock to pump the water out, then the tarp that had been placed in anticipation of the storm was removed from the field and the game went off without a hitch, much to the amazement of the announcers.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Whew! This time my daughter managed to get out way ahead the blizzard. She's been here nearly a week! In the past, it seems that her plane is always on the tarmac when this stuff begins, and she just makes it into the air before the airport is closed. However, her boyfriend is coming down to visit us tomorrow, and he's staying with his folks on Staten Island. That seems like a short hop to LaGuardia or JFK, but weather like this can turn it into an impossible journey. I hope he makes it out tomorrow.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

Shooshie wrote:Whew! This time my daughter managed to get out way ahead the blizzard. She's been here nearly a week! In the past, it seems that her plane is always on the tarmac when this stuff begins, and she just makes it into the air before the airport is closed. However, her boyfriend is coming down to visit us tomorrow, and he's staying with his folks on Staten Island. That seems like a short hop to LaGuardia or JFK, but weather like this can turn it into an impossible journey. I hope he makes it out tomorrow.
If he's coming out of either of those airports - good luck. They just got re-opened today and they're telling some people they may not get out for up to 4 days! I live in NJ and we got hammered here in Trenton - 15+ inches of the white stuff. I saw something on the news where Elizabeth NJ (that's northeastern NJ) got 31 inches of snow. Had a couple of power blinks but nothing the ups'es couldn't handle.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

n2mpujack wrote: If he's coming out of either of those airports - good luck.
These kind of storms effect air traffic world wide we've had people stranded in the Toronto airport for a couple of days now.
Kind of a snowball effect :lol:
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

wylie1 wrote:Kind of a snowball effect :lol:
Ho Ho Ho!

Seriously though... hope all effected find their ways home safely and ASAP.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Turns out he's coming from Newark, and his flight was cancelled. He managed to snag a cancellation, however, and will be here on Thursday, with luck. He sent pictures of the snow, and it is quite severe, but also very beautiful! Their house is by the ocean, and it looks like a great place to be right now if you don't need to go anywhere else.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

down here in Atlanta----it's going to be in the low 60's with sun. I Love my new place! It's weather like that (the cold and heavy snow) that I am not missing Fort Wayne, Indiana ONE BIT! 8)
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

BradLyons wrote:down here in Atlanta----it's going to be in the low 60's with sun. I Love my new place! It's weather like that (the cold and heavy snow) that I am not missing Fort Wayne, Indiana ONE BIT! 8)
So it's warming up again? A couple of days ago you guys were shivering and dealing with some real cold.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Phil I see you guys got slammed with a North-easter. I hope your all going to be fine, you'll dig out; hell your used to this kind of thing.
We have got a little snow at my house, none in Portland and it is very cold, was in the 20's last night. In the mountains we have over 7 feet of snow right now.
Living out in the wild I have 2 wood stoves and a generator so I can get through storms.
I have had to cain saw my way out before and dig out with the tractor; so far this year I have not had to plow the road, knock on wood!
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

All is well here now. We're dug out, and it's 40 degrees here today. Wow, stuff is melting! As far as I know, no one here in town was hurt, be we did loose a couple of homes to electrical fires due to flooding down on the shore - a fair amount of water damage as well. Hope they all have flood insurance! :shock:

Now back to making music!

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Flew into JFK Xmas Eve. Snagged a room and car on Long Island Xmas Day. Got snowed in with the Mrs. on the 26th. Then a few days shoveling at my mom's and slip slidin' 'round the North Shore. Left JFK this morning, delayed in SFO for 4 hours and waiting for a flight back to BUR tonight. Raining on and off but I think overall timing couldn't have been better.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS