MOTU 896HD and windows 7

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
kafix
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MOTU 896HD and windows 7

Post by kafix »

I recently got 2 motu 896HD's and im trying to get them installed with windows 7. So far no dice. Ive tried a few sets of drivers, and I havn't been able to get the HD's to be recognized. The drivers install fine. Then restart, but when i plug in the unit i get nothing. Windows isn't recognizing the devices. When I turn on the units without anything pluged in (firewire) they christmass tree for a few seconds then go to the standard 3 green light mode. Which seems normal.

Also I have other firewire devices (alesis IO26) that run fine on the firewire card. So the card is good.

If anyone has any advice here it would be much appreciated. I really would like to get these devices up and running.

Thanks in advance.
kafix

Re: MOTU 896HD and windows 7

Post by kafix »

Well ive cruised these forums and tried a multitude of fixes... The AVT 1394 drivers, the 3.6.7.0 motu drivers, among others. Still no dice. I suppose the units could be fried. But it seems unlikely.

Anyone have any advice? Im hopin to get these working with windows 7?

Thanks
KillDivision

Post by KillDivision »

Okay, my HD is broke at the moment and I'm currently with a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, but.....

I seem to remember the same problem. I did a fresh install of Win 7 32bit on a Asus PT6 with i7-920.
When i clicked on the speaker-icon (sorry about the bad english) i never got to see the 896. Drivers for the 896 were installed proper, everything was fine.

To make W7 see my HD I had to install the drivers for my onboard soundcard! After that when i rightclick the speaker-icon (below to the right) W7 sees both the onbourd soundcard and the 896HD. You have to make teh 896HD the standard soundcard by opening the play-/record devices.

Let us know if it worked.

Tom
kafix

Post by kafix »

No Dice. Im thinking the units may be toast im not positive. but I can't seem to get them to work even in standalone mode. (No firewire or PC). from my understanding the 896HD's can also be used as as stand alone mixers. I get no output, i can see the channel led's working from an input but I get no output on phones, or mains. So i think there is a bigger problem. Im trying to get a hold of MOTU to either get them fixed or replaced. (*sigh*) Gettin a hold of their customer support has been a challenge.

Thanks for you help! My motu's did even get that far in windows 7 when i plug in the firewire I get no *ding* installing new hardware, hardware ready to use etc. stuff. Its like the firewire isn't recognizing the device.
Publius Enigma

Post by Publius Enigma »

I haven't had any success with my MOTU 828mk3 and Windows 7 over Firewire, but it seems to work fine with Windows XP. Are you able to try with an install of XP and see how well it works?

I also noted you tried some third-party 1394 drivers, but have you tried the Windows 7 OHCI Legacy Driver? Without that I couldn't get my 828 to be recognised at all by Windows 7.
stixcom92

Post by stixcom92 »

I'm considering building a new audio DAW built around Pro Tools 9 and the 896HD. Is there compatibility between the 896HD and windows 7? It's been around a year since those last posts, so just wondering if anything changed. Thanks.