Considering Switching to MOTU hardware from Digidesign

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Ish
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Considering Switching to MOTU hardware from Digidesign

Post by Ish »

Hi. This is my first forum post so I apologize in advance if I do anything inappropriate. I'm using Pro Tools LE with Digi 002R with Black Lion Audio Signature Modification. This rig permits recording only 16 tracks simultaneously,and I want to record 24 at once. The problem is that going to even HD Native would be very costly. It appears that switching to MOTU hardware and Sonar Pro might be cheaper but I don't know what I need to buy partly because there doesn't seem to be anything that matches the 002R feature for feature. My additional equipment which I would want to use with the new system include 16 very good pres,an Apoggee Rosetta 800 (8 channels of AD/DA conversion)and temporarily, a Behringer ADA 8000, 8 channel converter with pres, also modified by Black Lion Audio. The MOTU 24 I/O and Steinberg 816 CSX have been suggested, but I think additional gear would be needed. So what do I need and what do you suggest. Many thanks in advance. Ish
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Considering Switching to MOTU hardware from Digidesign

Post by BradLyons »

Welcome to the forum. Is this for recording live or in the studio?
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

Two Litepipe i/o's would be what you need if you record at 44 or 48k. Firewire, the 838mkIII would be great. Near-zero latency hardware mixer built in is great for setting cue mixes and monitoring/recording MIDI hardware. If you want a PCIe solution, MOTU's 2408 mkIII would be excellent, with three litepipe i/o pairs, although the PCI hardware mixer lacks some of the features (reverb for cue mixes in particular) incorporated in the Firewire version. Clock using Word Clock from your Rosetta; both MOTU units have Word Clock BNC i/o.
Ish
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Ish »

BradLyons wrote:Welcome to the forum. Is this for recording live or in the studio?
Thanks for the welcome.
It would need to work well for live situations. But I would be interested in hearing your recommendations for the studio as well.