Best Orch sample lib for M5?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Flare
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best Orch sample lib for M5?

Post by Flare »

Garritan is subjective... i personally didn't care for it...

VSL is good, thorough, but a bit tedious, and sterile in terms of recording. Imports work pretty well, but the performance switching (not the performance library) doesn't transfer in M5, obviously.

If you're looking for the most inspiring, instantly playable libraries I've found were the String and Brass collections from Sonic Implants. In particular, the ensembles are EXTREMELY helpful for sketch composing, which is how I work most efficiently. Granted it's specific to those 2 sections, but they're working on a woodwinds library.

Each library has strengths, but Sonic Implants have impressed me the most. I haven't tried EWQL symphonic libraries though.

My advice to anyone, is to mix and match...
Marc Mitchell

Post by Marc Mitchell »

hi all :) ,
just to share with you what i recieved from VSL this mornning in reply to Mach 5 support..

we ran several tests with instruments from the horizon
series (opus 1) and with the latest version (which is
already streaming) it seemed we would be able to do so.

unfortunately the instruments (programs) are literally
*exploding* during import and it would take great pains
to remap them (VSL instruments have up to 16 layers with
controllers and keyswitches attached), so we didn't
even come to the point where to run some stress-tests.

another point is, that we would need a more generic
performance tool for mac (a standalone version for
halion3 and kontakt 1.5.3 is almost finished), what
doesn't seem to be possible, although motu is very
supportive and interested.

since all this would block too many ressources in the
current situation there are no plans to release a
native version in the near future

sorry for having no better news ...
with kind regards from vienna,
christian marin

:( so there it is ...

Regrds in music
Love in life

Marc Mitchell
Sanctuary music tech / innersense media
www.marcmitchell.co.uk
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Question for Flare...
How do you use the Sonic Implants libraries in DP?
I couldn't find MachFive on their web site.
Do they support it or are you using another player?
Thanks.
All is well
Flare

Post by Flare »

Waterstrum,

To be honest, I'm not. I'm using it within my 2 gigastudio rigs. However, I'm assuming that you can easily import these libraries into M5 using the UVIX utility. I've succesfully traslated a number of other giga libraries, including a number of the VSL series.

I'll try a conversion to M5, and let you know how it goes.

But honestly speaking, there are specific things that the Sonic Implants features that makes it the biggest bang for my buck...
studiofuoriporta

Post by studiofuoriporta »

anyone tried miroslav vituos cds? anyway, if you are looking to a soft soundy orchestra, one of the best is kurzweil k2600 orch card... i didn't understand if someone knows how to put it on M5. even if i own the k2600 with card, could be useful put it on M5...
MarkH

Post by MarkH »

There is a Soundfont based Audio-Unit instrument that costs $15 and is developed by Andy Drabble. It uses Apple's DLS Synth Engine to play the sounds.

Both the Sonic Implants Strings and Sonic Implants Brass libraries are available in Soundfont format.

http://andydrabble.users.btopenworld.com/soundfontsynth/moreinfo.html

There is also the Miroslav set from Ilio and it's in Akai format. It retails for $2,495

http://www.ilio.com/miraslov/

<small>[ December 06, 2004, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Mark Holloway ]</small>
G5 Quad, 30" Cinema, MOTU Traveler, KRK Rokit 6 Special Edition, DP 5.1, OS X 10.4.8
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Excuse me- to those of you posting here that you've converted Giga samples with keyswitching intact- please tell me how you did it!! I've posted a topic here about this with no replies and I can't get the keyswitch Giga banks- VSL, Miroslav, etc to work. Somebody, please tell me the secret to converting key-switch Gigas to M5 as I use these all the time- Thanks!!
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
MarkH

Post by MarkH »

I asked Universal Sound Bank (developers of UVIX) what the best format is for the Sonic Implants and here is their reply.

----
I think the best results (%, parameters, etc...) would be achieved with gigasampler but it will be radically faster to convert from Kontakt or EXS24...

If you choose giga, pay special attention to layers conversion -> Expert mode in MachFive. Also make sure you get enough room because it has to convert the samples as well...

Hope this helps. Please keep in touch if you have further questions/issues

Sincerely yours,

Guy
Tech support,
USB
G5 Quad, 30" Cinema, MOTU Traveler, KRK Rokit 6 Special Edition, DP 5.1, OS X 10.4.8
cKaz

Post by cKaz »

I think that the VSL performance tool for the Horizon line is ready to go on Mac for Kontakt. But it says the "stand alone" version so I don't know if that means what it would do in the AU version.Also the Pro version and Cube version are still only EXS24 and Giga.
rikp

Post by rikp »

I am using the Garritan Orchestra (not the personal orchestra) Giga version and the whole enchilada loaded fine. I have been using it for years and the sounds are first rate for strings. I also have a Giga setup but it is so much easier to run it in DP using the Mach5

Peace

Rik
http://www.coffeecupmusic.com
Mac Pro 8 Core 22 Gig RAM, 2 Hackintoshes, DP 8, ProTools 11, Logic X, Waves, Kontakt, Vienna Strings, EWQL Platinum, GPO, BFD, Omnishphere, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Altiverb, DrumCore, EZ Drummer, LASS, HollyWoodwinds, and too much money spent on VI libraries.