MIDI latency and buffer settings

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
motuscott
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by motuscott »

Is it possible that I am experiencing latency in MIDI playback of external hardware units. I track at 64 buffer and when I change to 1024 the playback is noticeably off against the click and recorded audio. I've noticed this randomly before, but just today I nailed it to the buffer setting. Am I wrong? How do you deal with this?
Thank you.
imac 2.4 Core2Duo 4G RAM, MBP 2.26 Core2Duo 8G RAM/ OS 10.6.8
MOTU 828mk2, microlite
DP7.24, Reason6.5.3, B4II, Ethno, RMX
wylie1

Re: MIDI latency and buffer settings

Post by wylie1 »

Is this something new?
Does the MIDI data line up with the click in the sequence window?
What MIDI interface are you using?

I had a weird latency issue after updating my OS it turn out to be a Midisport driver.
Updated the driver all was well again.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Not sure if this helps, but I've noticed consistent MIDI hardware latency if I choose "Monitor through effects" or whatever the other choice is called besides "Direct Hardware...".

(not in front of DP right now)

And in my situation, the MIDI is exactly lined up with the grid lines.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

After I wrote the stuff below, I remembered the answer: Turn OFF "Sync MIDI playback to MIDI thru" (or something like that) in the MIDI preferences. I have experienced exactly what you speak of, and fell confident this is the source of your troubles. Uncheck this option, which I believe defaults to ON.

It's not supposed to work like that, and doesn't on my machine. How to fix, I have no clue except to suggest a restart, repair permissions, trash preferences, and make sure drivers are up to date. Checking to see where your MIDI notes line up against the grid is a good idea.

Also, do you really need to track at 64? I find 128 is imperceptible delay for VIs, and can track at 256 without pain since DP6. By the way, unless you are using VI's or monitoring thru effects, you can keep the buffer big.
motuscott

Post by motuscott »

Thanks all for the replies. I am unable to repeat the results today (as has been the case when this happened before) so I'm not sure if I am even stating the problem correctly. I'm pretty sure it's a setting, either in DP or mac or in my physical routing because I have reinstalled the whole shebang in the past and this intermittent problem spans those reinstalls. It's true that I don't have my head completely wrapped around the concept of the MIDI patch thru options or audio patch thru or recording music on computers or computers in general or music. OK, Back in!
imac 2.4 Core2Duo 4G RAM, MBP 2.26 Core2Duo 8G RAM/ OS 10.6.8
MOTU 828mk2, microlite
DP7.24, Reason6.5.3, B4II, Ethno, RMX
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

In the preference, there is a setting in the "MIDI Solo & Patch Thru" called "sync Recorded MIDI to patch Thru" Try to enable or disable it...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.