Oh, JB, please... it feels too good...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Oh, JB, please... it feels too good...

Post by Dan Worley »

Someone posted this link on another forum and I almost passed out when I heard it and just had to share the genius of JB once again. It's almost too good. I had never heard this version before (don't know how I missed it) and it hit me like a ton of funk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_WsrLQbxuY&feature=fvw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
buzzsmith

Re: Oh, JB, please... it feels too good...

Post by buzzsmith »

OMG!

On a funk scale this has got to be a 10! And the tightness of the band...amazing!

Interesting to hear the bits and pieces that were on the "hit" version.

Thanks for posting!

(Now I make my way to the complete opposite...background ambient piano at the Steakhouse)

Buzzy

(It's on iTunes...""Make It Funky/The Big Payback - 1971-1975")
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

buzzsmith wrote:
Geeez! Thanks for telling me. I think my brain was dazed after listening to this and I didn't even think of looking on iTunes. :shock: :roll: Got it! Fantastic!!! :D

Thanks again,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Wow! It's so good it's almost insulting!

It must be a blessing to record and mix such a band. No beat detection, no quantizing, no sliding the kick to match the bass....
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
jgest

Post by jgest »

fantastic 8)
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Damn..IT!
That be funkyyyyy
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

buzzsmith wrote:OMG!

Thanks for noting that, in light of the recent discussions about music piracy, I applaud you for steering us in the right direction for a cleared performance.
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

cuttime wrote:
buzzsmith wrote:OMG!
Thanks for noting that, in light of the recent discussions about music piracy, I applaud you for steering us in the right direction for a cleared performance.
Well, thanks!

The track has my curiosity aroused. I've researched a little, and it appears that it was recorded about 10 years or so later than the original.

Rather than quote, there's quite a lot of interesting info on Wikipedia re: JB and the song itself.

One thing that was interesting, is that while James was sliding around on the floor during a performance there were subtle hand signals that the audience thought were just part of his act. However, the band members knew that he was actually pointing at various members, dancers to notify them they they were to be fined for shoes not shiny enough, or missing a step, or some other band infraction!
(According to Wikipedia).

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

buzzsmith wrote:The track has my curiosity aroused. I've researched a little, and it appears that it was recorded about 10 years or so later than the original.

Rather than quote, there's quite a lot of interesting info on Wikipedia re: JB and the song itself.

One thing that was interesting, is that while James was sliding around on the floor during a performance there were subtle hand signals that the audience thought were just part of his act. However, the band members knew that he was actually pointing at various members, dancers to notify them they they were to be fined for shoes not shiny enough, or missing a step, or some other band infraction!
(According to Wikipedia).
I have a couple of friends who played for Mr. Brown and I can tell you that's true. If you played for him you had to keep your eyes on him because he would conduct and communicate with the band through hand signals and he would change things up as he felt it. You would get fined if you missed a hit or change or if your shirt wasn't tucked in or your hair wasn't combed and he'd let you know it right there on stage. Stuff like that. Some of the stories are hilarious but I'm not the one to tell them. The guys I know who played for him all had great respect for Mr. Brown, though he could be difficult and unreasonable at times. But he would get that band playing what and how he wanted them to play. They most certainly knew he was the boss and they learned a lot from him and were devastated when he passed.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is amazing!!!never heard that one.
JB was incredible,a cd I stumbled on recently is, James Brown Messing with the Blues,if you ever see it grab it.This is also incredible and totally different than the mainstream stuff we are all familiar with.
Mr. Brown was much more influential then most people realize.A great once in a life time phenomena. :D
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

kgdrum wrote:WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is amazing!!!never heard that one.
JB was incredible,a cd I stumbled on recently is, James Brown Messing with the Blues,if you ever see it grab it.This is also incredible and totally different than the mainstream stuff we are all familiar with.
Mr. Brown was much more influential then most people realize.A great once in a life time phenomena. :D
I agree.
BTW: The album "Messing with the Blues" is also available on iTunes.

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Jim

Post by Jim »

I saw an interview with Clyde Stubblefield, where he recalled the story about fines. He'd say that James might sing, "I Gotcha'!" which meant he caught somebody not playing on (or off) the beat exactly the way he wanted it.

This is a fabulous version and recording. It's a shame that a lot of Brown's earliest recordings suffered from bad production, but that's also a testament to the quality of his music.

Thanks for posting it.

If you can find it, I highly recommend "Say It Live in Dallas, 1968." I was there. Great show, and great recording. Maceo lead the band in a fine rendition of Tighten Up.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

buzzsmith wrote:
kgdrum wrote:WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is amazing!!!never heard that one.
I agree.
BTW: The album "Messing with the Blues" is also available on iTunes.

Buzzy
I recommend the cd,for better fidelity then mp3 or apple lossless
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yeah, I think MJ and basically everyone else learned to dance from JB. They were choreographing. Either he was "just doin' it," or he sure knew how to make it look that way. Godfather of Soul!

I looked through some videos trying to see those "hand signals" and concluded that's a waste of a good JB video, so heck with that! That guy could've given foot signals and conducted the band with his toes.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:
I looked through some videos trying to see those "hand signals" and concluded that's a waste of a good JB video, so heck with that! That guy could've given foot signals and conducted the band with his toes.
:lol:

That's for sure.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13