Uses For Old G5 in my Studio

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
spirit
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Uses For Old G5 in my Studio

Post by spirit »

Peter P.
If you decide to connect the two computers with hardware interfaces (i.e. 828 etc.) you might consider using Logic or mainstage to host your VI's. It has not been scientifically proven, but a lot of people think that logic is more efficient in it's use of cpu power for VI's than any other apple DAW which may or may not be true, but if you have Logic 8 you might as well try it.

regarding the VE Pro download: In early October they included "Epic Orchestra" for free if you purchased VE Pro. If they still do, the "Epic Orchestra" download was around 6 gigbytes. You might see if there is a university or library that has fast internet connection to do a large download.
Maybe plan to do everything at one long session-for example you may want to download Dp7.01 or Dp 7.02 which are probably over 100megabytes.

You may also want to see additional comments left at your thread about using the G5 with a macpro for VI's.

And presumably you have considered that for simply hosting VI's a PC could be used for that purpose, possibly for as little as half the cost of the MacPro- but probably with a lot more time from you learning how to set up and configure a PC- and possibly less reliability, plus hosting software (cubase le might work for cheap?)- just in case money is real tight because probably a mac pro costs a small fortune in zaimbia. With a PC it is much more complicated because it might do typing and internet easily but not work right for audio if the motherboard isn't right with the right firewire chip etc. etc. etc.
p.pan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by p.pan »

Thanks a lot guys.

For me the download I must to forgot too big.

There is a Dealer in South Africa Import VSL products I send to her an email already.
Perhaps he have it......

Do you Think I can find a dealer for this product????

And thanks
MacPro 5.1 6-core 3.33GHz 16GB RAM.
Motu 2408MKI PCIe 424, with Focusrite octopre
Alphatrack.
DP7.24, SD2, Omnisphere 1, Komplete 7,Ethno.1.0.1,Styllus RMX 1.8
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

p.pan wrote:
Do you Think I can find a dealer for this product????

And thanks
As far as I know, VE Pro is download-only, unfortunately. But, you could write to the company to see if they could help you.

support@vsl.co.at
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
midiw

Post by midiw »

I use my supercharged 8500/G3 as a slave with little to no pay.

It rips and burns DVD movies and TV shows and my PVrecorder.

It rips and burns CD's i buy and loan from my Public library.

It's a wee bit slow but who cares it has all day or nite to get the job done.

Get on with it mate!
Mac OS: Mojave