DP7 on the G5 and all the VIs on a Macpro????

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
p.pan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP7 on the G5 and all the VIs on a Macpro????

Post by p.pan »

Hi,

I am still running on DP4.61.
And Im thinking to update my system.

Buying DP7, Complete 6 and Omisphere

I would like to work with two computers/
*G5 Dual 1.8 with X.5.8, 6G ram, 2 HD 250 Each with DP7.
Thats my main daw.
I have an UAd 1 and a Powercore for the mixing.
No VIs on this computers. I just keep my MachV 1.2.
I just record the MIDI and of course the audio.

*Macpro QuadCore Intel with X.5.8, 6G ram, 4x HDs inside 5OOG each.
With all the VIs and the Vienna ensemble Pro.
Complete 6, Omnisphere, SD 2, Styllus RMX, Ethno.

Its a big changements for me.

Let me know your advice.

And thanks to motunation
MacPro 5.1 6-core 3.33GHz 16GB RAM.
Motu 2408MKI PCIe 424, with Focusrite octopre
Alphatrack.
DP7.24, SD2, Omnisphere 1, Komplete 7,Ethno.1.0.1,Styllus RMX 1.8
p.pan

Re: DP7 on the G5 and all the VIs on a Macpro????

Post by p.pan »

Nobody come to my topics....

I still beleive its the right solution because we can separate the applications on two differents computers, between the Daw Computer and the VIs computer.
I like the Vienna Ensemble pro idea.
But I can imagine the network between the two computers must to be solid.

Thanks for your reply.
Alphatrack.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've been looking for a good way to do this too. (Run DP from a new iMac, and keep a G5 connected to host a UAD-1). No luck so far.

But you can use an ethernet connection between two Macs to run MIDI from one to the other. So playing the VIs on the newer Mac will not be a problem. I'm going to be trying ADAT connectors on audio interfaces connected to each Mac to move the audio back and forth in digital format (but haven't done it yet).
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
p.pan

Post by p.pan »

Thanks for your reply.

The advantage of the VE Pro (he look like) he link trought an Ethernet connection between the two computers the MIDI and the audio.

Tell me if I am wrong.

Sorry for my bad english.
Alphatrack.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

In concept I have a similar(ish) set up like what you want to do. I have a Mac that is the Master that controls all the VIs (or sample libraries in my case) from the PCs.

There is simply NO WAY I could do what I do with this set up. The machine where you will host your VIs or sample libraries would have a lot of RAM and fast spinning disks if you will be doing disk streaming.

If you use VSL, you will LOVE the Ensemble Pro app!

I'd advice you to do lots of reading on the topic. And I assure you if you set up everything correctly, you will be a VERY HAPPY and productive user!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

p.pan wrote:Thanks for your reply.

The advantage of the VE Pro (he look like) he link trought an Ethernet connection between the two computers the MIDI and the audio.

Tell me if I am wrong.

Sorry for my bad english.
I don't know about VE. I'm looking for solution that is not dependent on a particular application.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
p.pan

Post by p.pan »

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think on the G5 I can stay on X.4.11 or I need to have the same OS on the two computers???? in this case X.5.8.

If somebody have done this configuration let me know.

Its a big change for me I need your advices.

Vienna ensemble pro its only sale on the site VSL?

And thanks to motunation I come every day.
Alphatrack.
spirit
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by spirit »

Other than for VE pro itself you probably don't need the OS to be the same on each system. If you were doing the same thing using audio and MIDI interfaces on each computer connected to each other the OS wouldn't need to be the same, in fact it is frequently done between macs and pcs.
But you should carefully check the VE pro system requirements. At least one, possibly both of the machines need to be at least 10.5. Check the forums at VSL about the VE pro. You might also try the demo of VE pro before relying on it when you decide on purchasing an additional computer, but probably that will require OS 10.5. And even to try the demo will require an elicense key that costs about $40 usd.
Note that even with VE pro there may be a little bit of latency- but many people who have posted here (and at duc.digidesign.com) find VE pro overall very usable. You should search these bulletin boards (and maybe gearslutz and ????) for posts about VE pro- and try to distinguish between people who have actually made a reasonable effort to get it to work and those who are just talking.
Rember with two computer the files will be seperate, so if you adust any setting in the VI's those adjustment will not be saved with the Sequencer file/folder,unless you remember to transfer them over and update them- Chronsync might be good for that if you need to have all the files together.
Some people might prefer to just get an 8 core with lots of ram and do everything in one computer- there are advantages and disadvantages to each approach.
If you've already got both computers you might really consider trying to demo VE pro when you have a few days you can work with the setup (and no critical deadlines until it's stable and you have learned how to use it).

Good luck
p.s. Logic which you already have is supposed to be capable of a somewhat more limited ethernet connection of two computers in it's "Logic node" mode. But you may well not find that an attractive solution for any of a number of possible reasons, including the reasons that you might prefer Digital Performer to Logic, that there are reports of the "node" connection failing regularly, and possibly some VI's don't work on the Logic node machine.
doodles

Post by doodles »

This is what i'm doing at the moment. g5 dual 2.5 running dp 5.13 (os x 10.4.11), with a few VI's. then ethernet cable using apple network to a macpro 8-core 3.0 (18 gigs of ram). this one runs standalones of mach 5, kontakt, vienna, etc. The 2 computers don't have to have the same operating system.

Works great, but bit assy having to set-up MIDI every morning. doesn't take too long, but there must be a better way. when I've finished this soundtrack in december, i'm going to read all the threads properly and look into VE, though still not convinced it's up to what I need it for just yet.

good luck.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
p.pan

Post by p.pan »

I think I go with the VE Pro.

But I need to have the same system on the Two computers and X.5.8 is recomend.

Question:
When I finish all my MIDI tracks on the G5 and I want to record all the audio inside the G5
What is the best way???

And Thanks again Guys
Alphatrack.