Pitch to MIDI plugin ?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
fokof
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Pitch to MIDI plugin ?

Post by fokof »

Anybody knows if there is a Pitch to MIDI plugin , freeware , software outhere that does it "real time" ?

PS I already have a VB99 .....
FMiguelez

Re: Pitch to MIDI plugin ?

Post by FMiguelez »

Do you mean audio to MIDI, as in DP's Pitch Correction feature? As in getting MIDI notes out of the performance of a singer?

Unless I don't understand your question, you know you can do just that with DP, right?
And what exactly do you mean by "in real time"?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
fokof

Post by fokof »

I meant "real time audio" to MIDI , with a bass. To trig softsynths.
On my VB99 , I can do it , but the latency is really bad , and tracking is not very good , so I was wondering if there is a software alternative.

I also tried Axon stuff and a GI20. All very bad.

I Still have hope..... in vain ?
zed

Post by zed »

fokof wrote:I also tried Axon stuff and a GI20. All very bad.
Axon is what I use with a GK-3 on my telecaster, and I have also used a GR-1 and and a GR-20 (I believe it was). Those are all pretty good hardware tools for lead lines (and Axon is supposedly the best you can do).

But I don't know about with a bass. Do they make these GK pickups for a bass? Not sure. You might have to play your bass lines on a guitar. Did you try the Axon with your synth sounds set to have a pitch bend range of +/-12? If you don't allow for that pitch bend range the units will make lots of mistakes, and will also not track slides and hammer-ons, etc.

Someone released a product about a year ago, for about a $100 that could supposedly do this without using a pickup on your guitar. Several Motunation users bought one, and said the results were pretty good.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
fokof

Post by fokof »

I've got a 5 string fretted and a 5 string fretless both with GK , but from Graphtech.
http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=2

The VB99 I got is very, very nice. It's not MIDI , it's a "modeler" , Roland calls it COSM. It "emulates" basses , FX ,amps, some synths (it's limited though).
Very good at what it does. It also does Pitch to MIDI , but the problem with bass , is the lower frequency. Since it need one full cycle to know what's the frequency , the Latency is not very good.And the tracking is not good also.

My hope was to find something in the computer world that has better tracking than in the hardware world......
I think it's weird that nobody would do such a plugin/program.
fokof

Post by fokof »

I saw this on another forum;
http://www.intelliscore.net/product.html

So it exists on the PC platform , should exist on Mac ? :cry:
spirit
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by spirit »

the latency would probably be worse on any computer plugin, but the tracking possibly could be better than the roland (most likely because the latency of the plugin would allow it more time to make sure what the frequency is).

Pickup adjustment is real important for Roland type pitch to MIDI. Different strings can make a difference (more magnetic field).
Sometimes it seems like bridgecontact transducers like on some godin guitars track a bit better than the magnetic pickups. In any case bass frequencies are particularly challenging. If you don't need to mix in your real bass try an instrument an 8ve higher (of course triggering whatever 8ve you want). For fretless the godin fretless nylon 6 string tracks pretty well (touch wood)- probably a fretted is even better. Fast tremelos are always unrealiable. Of course you have played with the sensitivity adjustments etc.
Presumably your unit tracks as well as the purpose built guitar/bass MIDI converters Roland makes. If you tried the axon you probably already covered that ground.

Good luck. If you find something good post it for everyone to know.
fokof

Post by fokof »

Thanx for the cheer up!

I really tried everything hardware wise , there are combination wich were passable like a GI20 with a piccolo bass. Or with flatwounds it tracks a little better but these were always at the expense of the bass sound (Non MIDI). And you have to always play over the twelfth fret....

I have a RMC Fanout box and tried to process the audio of the 5 strings independently in DP and it really is amazing. With the fanout box , you process externaly then feed the signal back to your GK processor.
The latency of that was at par with my VB99. (through a 828 MK3)
With classic FX and Amp emulations (and good plugins) , it is even better than the Roland hardware. If anyone would make plugin that does what the Roland units does (COSM emulations of synths) I wouldn't need this processor anymore.

But the VB99 is still what's best on the market to have certain "synthish" bass tones and be playable live. Or you can have loads of pedals but I'm not a very good dancer onstage....

For your tip about pickup adjustments , you are right , it is very critical.
I have graphtechs kits so no need to adjust the pickup but lot of tweeking need to be done in order to have a ..... well .... "certain" job done.