I have a secret...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I have a secret...

Post by Phil O »

...I see stupid people. They are everywhere. They don't even know that they're stupid.

I had a fellow coming in today at 3:30 to record some guitar. Acoustic? Electric? Don't know. The only info I got was "...to record some guitar. Don't worry about it. It is just going to be a loose session. Whatever happens happens." I told him that I couldn't start until 3:30, but he could come at 3:00 if he wanted to get settled in. He showed up with an electric guitar, a drummer, and a trombone player at 4:30.

me: We're getting a late start and you didn't mention drums. The trombone I can get going in short order, but the drums will take a little time. What's your schedule look like?

him: I have to leave by 5:00 at the latest.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

...I have a secret.
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bkshepard

Re: I have a secret...

Post by bkshepard »

Just put them all in the same room with the guitar and record whatever bleeds into the guitar mic. :D
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

LOL... where have all the brain cells gone... long time passing...
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

I would have set up one mic in the middle of the room and told em to play......
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Tomrabbit

Post by Tomrabbit »

Yea, but which mic? :D
MacBook Pro 8,3 2.3GHz i7 16GB Ram 10.11.6 , DP 7.2.4 & DP8 , Ultralite, Micro Express, Altiverb 6, Nomad Factory Integral Studio Pack etc...
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

Tomrabbit wrote:Yea, but which mic? :D
An SM 57 pointed directly at brick wall covered in Glass and away from everyone. :|
iMac 3.06 i3|OSX 10.6.8|8 gig ram||DP 7.24|Motu 896HD|2 Avalon VT 737's|Presonus ADL600|Slate VCC|Superior Drummer 2|EZ Drummer|1.1.6|Kontakt Player 4.1|Steven Slate Drums EX|SampleTank 2 XTAntares ATR-1|Presonus Central Station|Neumann TLM 103|Rode NT1|Audio Technica AT 4033 X2| Rode NT-5's|and lot's of other junk
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Tomrabbit wrote:Yea, but which mic? :D

$20 radio shack mic and I would of told em it was a U47 :lol:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

bkshepard wrote:Just put them all in the same room with the guitar and record whatever bleeds into the guitar mic. :D
kassonica wrote:I would have set up one mic in the middle of the room and told em to play......
Yeah, I considered something like that at first, but when the guy told me 5 o'clock! The drummer couldn't have unloaded his drums and set them up by 5. What WERE these people thinking?!!!!
I was polite and told them to re-schedule with a clear explanation of why there wasn't sufficient time to do anything today, and what to expect next time. Now I have to figure out what to charge them. :?

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
npatton

Post by npatton »

I shared this with a friend who runs a studio here in town. He responded by telling me of a client who showed up and was ticked because my friend didn't keep a supply of percussion instruments on hand. He (my friend) is the consummate professional, and I asked how he responded.

He said that after the guy's disorganization, "deep" artistry, and time-wasting, he just laughed in his face.

Sometimes there's only so much you can take...
Mac Pro (Late 2013) (3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM) OS 10.13.6
MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 gigs RAM); OSX10.11.6; DP 10.13; Unisyn 2.1.1; Stylus RMX; MOTU MIDI Express XT; MOTU 828x; Kurzweil PC3 with Kore 64; Roland XV-5050, D-50; Alesis QS7; Yamaha S90ES, TX-216; Hammond XK-3

----------------------------------
FWIW, my own music can be heard at...
http://www.neilpatton.net
http://http://www.pandora.com/neil-patton
Business Site: http://www.pattonmusic.com
WSVP
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by WSVP »

If there is one thing I have learned in the last 20+ years as a recording engineer and a studio owner...

Beavis & Butthead are NOT fiction.
jgest

Post by jgest »

WSVP wrote:If there is one thing I have learned in the last 20+ years as a recording engineer and a studio owner...

Beavis & Butthead are NOT fiction.
:lol: :lol: :lol: classic. Don't forget ren and stimpy (if they were "musically" inclined)
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Have you ever had someone who thought they were smarter than you correct you on something you were doing, even ridicule you for not knowing the first steps, and you had to sit there patiently and wait until they were done, because there was no way you could explain to them why your way was actually smarter than their way, and that you used to think like them, but you got smarter, so all you can do is smile until they are done, and then go back to doing it your smart way, even though their stupider way is considered the smartest way by a whole generation of people who do it that way and who haven't learned yet what you've learned, and it's going to be years before they do, because you just figured it out, and you figure other smart people are also just now figuring it out, but it takes a long time for it to spread, and then you have to endure the realization that the dumber person who was correcting you is now talking to other dumber people and laughing about you being a stupid person who doesn't even KNOW he's stupid, because he (you) was doing XYZ, and he (the dumber guy) had to go tell you that it's supposed to be ZYX, and that in a trial by jury, most people would say that the dumber guy is the smarter guy, because they don't know enough to understand why what you're doing is actually smarter, and therefore did you realize that there is a paradigm shift between Smart and Smarter, which causes less smart people to think it's Smart and Dumber, creating a sort of theory of relativity around the word "smart" causing some people to think they see dumb people when in fact it's only their relative inability to see smarter people?

Ok... I's just wonderin'.
:lol:
Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

PS: If you actually made it through that previous post and still had enough room in your brain to process it and figure out what it meant, you will recognize that it's a saga told often in these forums, for it's the Saga of Using Digital Performer in the 1990's, and it's also the Saga of Talking to People Who Use Logic. And that brings up another thing: have you ever been afraid that you were the smarter person in that scenario above, but then had this little pang of doubt shoot through you and make you wonder if in fact you're the dumber one after all, and that it's just going to take you a while to figure that out? [cue Twilight Zone Music] :shock:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Dude, time to switch to decaf. :lol:

Phil
jgest

Post by jgest »

Shooshie wrote:And that brings up another thing: have you ever been afraid that you were the smarter person in that scenario above, but then had this little pang of doubt shoot through you and make you wonder if in fact you're the dumber one after all, and that it's just going to take you a while to figure that out? [cue Twilight Zone Music] :shock:

Shooshie
As in a spice short of a curry, or not the sharpest tool in the shed?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
(just kidding)
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;