Red Lines on Audio File

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dazzjazz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Red Lines on Audio File

Post by dazzjazz »

What do these vertical lines mean/indicate?

Darren
iMac 27" 2013 24 GB RAM
OSX Catalina. Focusrite Clarett 8Pre. Heritage Audio HA73.
DP10.

Yamaha CP4. 1961 Hammond A100. Too many Leslies.
……………………
Darren Heinrich
BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano
PhD Jazz Organ Improvisation

http://www.dazzjazz.com/
grouse

Re: Red Lines on Audio File

Post by grouse »

The tempo of the file is different to the current DP tempo.
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dazzjazz wrote:What do these vertical lines mean/indicate?

Darren
But not always! There is a bug in DP 6 that I've seen where these lines can appear at random for no reason. Hopefully it will be fixed next update.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
grouse

Post by grouse »

Oh, I see. still on 5.13 here.
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

grouse wrote:Oh, I see. still on 5.13 here.
Oh... didn't realize that. Well if you're on 5.13 what it means is that somehow the tempo has changed since the soundbite was recorded. For example if your sequence is playing at 120 bpm and you record some audio, you can select the soundbite and then choose "Copy Sequence Tempo to Soundbite" and the tempo information will be "imprinted" on that soundbite. This may happen automatically, I'm not sure. Then, just to try it, change the tempo of your sequence by moving the tempo slider. Red lines should appear to alert you to the fact that your tempo no longer matches the tempo of the soundbite. You can override that, by selecting the soundbite again and choosing "Copy sequence tempo to soundbite" and it will reset it with the new sequence tempo.

That's probably not a very good explanation, but I'm not in front of DP right now and I'm wingin' it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

James is right, as well as that version 6 seems to introduce the red lines in situations where it shouldn't.

I may be wrong on this, due to DP 6 issues, but I think the red lines also appear when you drag an audio file or use the shift command to maybe move it ahead or behind from where it was recorded. I sometimes have to do this if a plug-in didn't handle latency properly, or if the chosen instrument source has a natural tendency to delay it's attack (at least as psychologically perceived -- especially pads and certain strings).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Schtiv

Post by Schtiv »

Mmm, unless I'm missing something really obvious, it would seem that the annoying 'red line' soundbite tempo bug in DP6.... has not been resolved in DP7!

This has been driving me nuts.

Am I missing something? edge editing a soundbite, recorded in the session (at the session tempo) still produces this off-putting graphic.

Oh dear, oh dear....
Macbook (M1) Pro 2021 | MacOS 12.6 | Digital Performer 11 with UA Apollo x8 & UA apollo twin | Sibelius 8 | Ableton Live 10 | , FabFilter, Soundtoys, Waves etc. | Adam, Neuman & Genelec Monitoring | Tube-Tech, TC, Lexicon 224XL, 480, PCM90 Outboard | Hardware & Software Synths. Tube-Tech, UA, Neve, SPL Pre's.