OK, you people who defend the MW Leveler...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: OK, you people who defend the MW Leveler...

Post by Shooshie »

Armageddon wrote:I do think the audio plugs in Logic and Cubase are more comprehensive than the ones in DP -- that's kind of always been the case (and Cubase actually goes the extra mile and puts dynamics and EQ stock on every channel). However, let's look at the facts: they almost have to be to make up for the programs' other deficiencies. DP started out as a MIDI program, then followed suite (or is it the other way around?) with Cakewalk and added audio capabilities (presumably, to add vocals and guitars to your keyboard compositions) before becoming a full-blown audio/MIDI DAW. I think they've gotten their audio act more or less together, their MIDI features have always been the best ... but their plugs haven't been updated since the days of FreeMIDI. Granted, there's plenty of people who like the included plugs and use them religiously, but I don't think I've ever dropped a MOTU plug on any track, aside from maybe the two-band EQ when I wanted to shelve some low end, and only because it was the least-CPU-intensive alternative (I've tried using T-RackS EQ, but it tends to add unwanted color). It's a bummer from the perspective of having to buy a lot of third-party plugs to compensate, but it's worth it to me, because I love DP and can't imagine using another program.

That being said, no program's included plugs are gonna be as good as a third-party solution -- some may even suggest this design is on purpose, so DAW manufacturers aren't competing with their third-party plugin providers -- and while having a great included plugin set may work to get someone started in the wonderful world of computer sound engineering, you unfortunately have to drop some cash to get the comprehensive tools you want.

James, I didn't mean to "lob a grenade"; if you and Shoosh (we've had long posted discussions about the merits of DP's plugs and VIs) dig DP's plugs, then that's what works for you. I was actually pointing out that Leveler is a free plug, like Trim or DC Offset, and that if people are having problems with it, go back to using third party solutions, as they would have if Leveler wasn't included. My problem with both Leveler and ProVerb is that it feels like MOTU feels the need to compete with Logic and Cubase, rather than focus on what makes DP specifically so great in the first place.
Well, it's not so black and white about DP plugs. I've made albums with them, back when the only other choice was Waves and a few others, and I had Waves and could have used that, but DP's EQs were every bit as good. So I used DP's EQ's. Now they have a fantastic EQ, but that's beside the point. The real point is that DP's plugins may be aging, but they're not awful. They may look old, but they still work fine. I mainly use Waves plugins myself, but I have no qualms about DP's lineup if I need to use them, as I do when I'm out with my Powerbook. So what I'm really saying is that there's no place here for calling that stuff crap. It's just not.

Next, let's get the history correct. DP was the first front end for Pro Tools that combined MIDI and audio. Period. DP was the rage in Hollywood during the 1990s, and every musician with a record contract rode around with his Powerbook and DP with his/her latest mixes. The other MIDI apps did their best, but DP was at the top of the heap. It's only real competitor was Vision for a long time. When computers got fast enough to handle more than 2 or 4 channels of audio, DP led the pack in native audio. The only advantage that Cubase had was that it ran on a PC, and PCs cost about half what Macs cost back then. Until Steve Jobs came back, they were faster, too. But that gets into the old wars about the PPC RISC processors vs. the Pentiums, and the pipelines that carried 4 times the work load per CPU cycle, and so forth. Anyway, Macs still held the edge for audio production, whether it be with Pro Tools, DP, or Vision. Then Vision sadly disappeared, leaving Pro Tools and DP, plus this obscure, arcane tech toy called Logic. Logic was complicated and it took twice as long to do anything, but it had its adherents. Still, I think most of the audio world was surprised -- no, shocked -- when Apple chose Logic as their audio development platform. Rumor had it they talked to MOTU, but MOTU wouldn't budge, or something, but that's all just rumor, and there's never been anything to substantiate that. But sometimes I wish they HAD.

I wrote the Wikipedia article about DP some time back. You can look up the history there, but every so often people come along and rip it apart, leaving so little of the history that it's practically worthless. I have restored it a few times. Currently it's about 1/5 the size it used to be. There's also a timelinethat fairly well nails down some of the history using MOTU's own brochures. It's pretty informative.

It's always been fashionable to try to pull down DP. MOTU has always been a quirky company that does things its own way, despite what anyone else thought, and strangely, they've always ended up being on top of things again and again, after the initial ridicule died down. Here lately, I'd say they made some big mistakes, but they've moved pretty quickly to correct them as best they can. If past performance patterns are any indication, DP 6.12 or 6.13 will be incredibly nice to use. But here's the bottom line: when you hear a project made in DP played next to a project made in Pro Tools, each by a master of his tools, you can't tell which app was used for which project. A Waves engineer once told me that DP actually used their processors with greater accuracy than Pro Tools. That was probably 5 years ago, though, and may not be the case anymore.

I've probably ground my point into the dirt, but let me just emphasize it once more: Nothing about DP is crap. It may or may not be your favorite app. I encourage everyone to use two or three, just so they know what they're really dealing with. I have Logic and DP, but prefer DP over Logic any day. And I could mix a project with all DP plugins, possibly excepting reverb, and I'd defy anyone to choose it out of a lineup and say it's obviously DP because it sounds like crap!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

bongo_x wrote:I don't know, there's some good and bad. I don't understand the DP compressors at all, but the MWEQ is really good and the Preamp(?) is something I use all the time, even though I have a bunch of other distortion plugins. A lot of the rest are OK, but that's a long way from they all suck.

bb
Don't forget the Pro verb either.

It's not quite the aliverb but with importing the right IR's and some fine tweaking it's not far off and it's comes bundled with DP.

The MW Limiter I use a lot as well.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Shoosh, I don't think anyone, especially not me, said that DP was "crap". If I thought DP was crap, I'd be on a Logic forum right now, bitching about how lousy their pitch-correction plug and EXS-24 is when I tried to use them on my last music project. I said their plug-ins were terrible. That's an opinion, MY opinion, and while I should have prefaced that sentence in my original post as "In my opinion, all DP plug-ins are terrible" and bypassed a lot of this argument, I stand by what I stated. I apologize for not having put that part in the original statement. The crux of my argument was that since Leveler is a free DP plug-in, its usability for serious sound work may be questionable. Not impossible, questionable. You guys are getting great results with Leveler, ProVerb, etc. and defend their merits to the bloody end -- I wasn't addressing you. I was addressing the people who are having problems with using Leveler and other DP plugs as serious sound tools. In my opinion, you need go no further than the fact that most of DP's plugs absolutely haven't changed in either GUI or function since 3 to realize that their usefulness may be severely limited. Again, Leveler's a free DP plug. Don't use it. There are plenty of third-party solutions available that can provide the same, if not better, results. Chances are high that many people have already purchased those solutions. I'm one of them.

In every one of my posts, I've prefaced myself by saying how much I love DP the program, so I'm not sure where you got the wholesale negativity from.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Armageddon wrote:...most of DP's plugs absolutely haven't changed in either GUI or function since 3 to realize that their usefulness may be severely limited.
Not to play devil's advocate but I'm reminded of the analog mixing desk that didn't change much in fundamental layout or function for decades and continued to be useful. I don't think necessarily an unchanged GUI, connotes limited usefulness. And well... function? An EQ is an EQ. Same function. What you're talking about I think is whether or not the algorithms within the plugs have been updated over the years and improved and only MOTU knows the answer to that one. If they didn't slap a "New and Improved!" label on their GUI, that's their fault I guess.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

James Steele wrote:Not to play devil's advocate but I'm reminded of the analog mixing desk that didn't change much in fundamental layout or function for decades and continued to be useful. I don't think necessarily an unchanged GUI, connotes limited usefulness. And well... function? An EQ is an EQ. Same function. What you're talking about I think is whether or not the algorithms within the plugs have been updated over the years and improved and only MOTU knows the answer to that one. If they didn't slap a "New and Improved!" label on their GUI, that's their fault I guess.
But it still goes back to the fact that it works for you, and not for me. I think we all had a similar discussion regarding DP's VIs: you and Shoosh and many others love 'em, I and some of the other members don't. I view the plugs and the VIs DP includes as bonuses, not as essential parts of the DP experience, and after having tried them out waaaaaaay back in DP 3, I decided that, for me, they were cheap and virtually useless. Every version of DP I've gotten since then, I've checked out the plugs to see if maybe things have been significantly improved, and for me, they haven't. When 6 came out, I looked over ProVerb, felt it was unnecessarily complicated and perhaps even unfinished, and after a long and agonizing discussion about the way things were set up inside of the plug on this forum, likewise set it aside with the other plugs and got on with my life. In that case, I was hoping to circumvent blowing $500 on Altiverb, but Altiverb is the plug that will give me the results I was hoping to get from ProVerb, so that's life. The way you guys view the plugs inside of Logic or Cubase? That's how I perceive the plugs and VIs inside of DP. It's not really that big of an issue; they're a bonus, as far as I'm concerned, like the included MIDI grooves. I don't use those, either, and most of the time, I forget they're even there. I have a nice set of third party plugs and all the VIs I can handle, so I don't need them, and whether they're buggy or not is an issue that doesn't affect me in the slightest. While I certainly wish DP would somehow augment their plugs and VIs, or at least modernize them, they are, to me, the absolute least important part of me working with the software. I dismiss them and move on. That you guys can use them, enjoy using them and get positive results from using them is great
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
busle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by busle »

James Steele wrote:I got a reply from someone at MOTU with a workaround:
There is a way to do this.

Wait for the plug-in to get into a warmed up state.
While still playing back, click on the meter - this will bring up a menu.
Choose Save Current T4 Cell Memory.
This is now loaded into the plug-in's memory.
In order for it to take effect you must reset the cell.
This is accomplished one of two ways:
Insert a both a plug-in Bypass On and Off automation event at the start of your sequence (they must be one right after the other).
Or close the plug-in window (you'll have to open and close the window again if you stop playback long enough for the cell to cool down).
oh god that is such great news to hear. I just finished a mixdown where I was using the Leveler on several tracks that came in and out throughout the song, and had to use the "dummy signal" work around (pasting audio before the actual part comes in that you have to volume automate to zero so Leveler has a chance to warm up), and while the song came out sounding fantastic, getting it to sound fantastic with the Leveler was a bit of a nightmare. totally worth it, but very frustrating. I did try a non-realtime bounce to disk last week and was stunned to hear that it sounded literally nothing like the live playback sounded. it's good to know that between the above workaround and just knowing that you have to do a realtime bounce, using the plug will actually be just as easy as any other plug in the future.

I still say anyone who naysays this plugin is crazy. even without the workaround it would still be worth it. so what if it requires a bit more effort to use? the final product is what matters most in the end anyway, isn't it?

yes, this is the first I've seen of this thread and I only glanced through it, so someone's probably already said all that. oh well! :P
busle

Post by busle »

Armageddon wrote:...I looked over ProVerb, felt it was unnecessarily complicated...
seriously? I'm kind of a dummy, and it seems pretty straightforward to me! :)
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

busle wrote:
Armageddon wrote:...I looked over ProVerb, felt it was unnecessarily complicated...
seriously? I'm kind of a dummy, and it seems pretty straightforward to me! :)
+1

More to the point really, HOW DOES IT SOUND?
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
busle

Post by busle »

'zactly!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Armageddon wrote:you and Shoosh and many others love 'em, I and some of the other members don't.
Please don't put words in my mouth. I can use DP's plugins, and have done so many times to great effect. In actuality, I prefer Waves plugins, and have paid many thousands of bucks for the privilege of being abused by that rotten company. But DP's plugins are workhorses that get the job done. That's not the same as saying "I love 'em."

All I'm saying is that it would be nice if you didn't trash 'em here. Opinion or not, to say that they are terrible is a lie. Is that what you or anyone else here really wants to tell the world? It's like politics or religion; your side is right and the other is wrong. In reality, it's just not true. You may or may not have noticed that DP has been suffering quite an image problem. Well, can you guess where most of that comes from? This forum. People come here asking for help, and are told "bah, that stinks. Don't use it."

Man, I really appreciate most of your posts here. You've been great in all the help you give. I really am not trying to single you out. Honestly. But we've got to face the facts: WE create the image of DP in the world. We don't have to agree that it's all rosy; we all know it's not. We've got a long way to go. But if I'm going to walk this long trail with you and everyone else, by golly, I'd like to keep it real and at least keep a semi-positive attitude about it. Hard to do when every 2nd post says "CRASH CRASH CRASH" or "SUCKS" or "STILL BROKEN, meh, I'm going to Logic!"

An interesting case is Magic Dave. He uses nothing but DP plugins, to my knowledge, or at least mostly DP plugins, and he can do amazing things that simply cannot be distinguished from ProTools or Logic by sound. So... terrible? I don't think so. Not your favorite? Yeah. I can buy that.

Forgive me for taking such a hard-line stance here, but I've had private conversations with some of the best contributors to this forum who have said they're having trouble hanging around. The nay-sayers are so rampant that it just makes them want to throw in the towel and quit. I've admitted similar feelings. In fact sometimes I go several days without even opening the forum. But I'm not one to go down without a fight. This is it. If I can convince some folks that we need to change the attitude around here, NOT to lie and say "everything works, it's your fault you have problems," but neither to say "it sucks. You can't fix it. MOTU's betrayed us again," then I know most of us will still be here next year. And DP will be better.

There's a middle ground. Every one of us knows that MOTU is working on this stuff. Every one of us who've been using it a while knows that this is a common pattern, and that soon DP is going to be 98% great, and 2% questionable for the next upgrade. It's always been that way. It's GOOD to debate the flaws, but it's BETTER to do so with constructive criticism. Let's try to instill some morale in the troops, Ok?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

I had to use Protools today, Shoosh, and I'll can't WAIT to get back to DP tomorrow.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Great post, Shooshie! Geez... I'm the guy who started this forum and there's days where I wonder if the forum is doing more harm than good. I have tried to be fair. I used to get criticized for being a fanboy and built up a rather undeserved reputation for the few times I've actually booted someone from this forum-- which has been a rare occurence. But I fear the pendulum has swung the other direction. One only has to look at Mike's (c0mp0ser) recent post about how he uses DP with Bidule to see the ENORMOUS potential this forum has to be a positive force and for users to help each other utilize DP to it's fullest potential. That sort of exchange of ideas and advice is worth its weight in gold.

This is why I have begun moving more of the venting/complaining/ranting posts off to the "Gripes" section as of late, because frankly they ARE bringing me and others down. And I do think it presents a skewed and unfair picture to the person who is contemplating purchasing DP and comes here for more info-- especially since MOTU does link to this site from their Support page.

I don't get any support from MOTU and we're not beholden to them, but I think as a user there is a certain respect and courtesy they deserve, and some benefit of the doubt when possible. To be honest, I know one person at MOTU who used to come here years ago and would find the tone so depressing he would stop coming here. I've even toyed with the idea of setting up a non-anonymous board or invitation-only forum that might require using real names, rather than hiding behind aliases, as it's a well-known fact that people who use their REAL name on the internet tend to behave better when they have to be accept responsibility for their own words.

In the mean time, I think some self-restraint is in order. You know it reminds me that in order for any society or community to function and enjoy certain freedoms, there is implicit responsibility and a social contract. When that starts breaking down, it's no fun for anyone. Rights are abridged because there are a few who can't be responsible. Example-- in San Diego it is now illegal to drink an alcoholic beverage at the beach. That's right-- ILLEGAL. Why? Because of a bunch of stupid college kids who got stupid drunk (beer bongs, and the like) and then got into a melee with police last Fourth of July. Frankly, they should have put each one of the troublemakers in jail for 2 weeks and if they missed exams or classes or their jobs, too damned bad. Then those of us who were responsible could enjoy a beer or glass of wine with our sunset without being marked as criminals. But I digress. The point is, those who forget how to police themselves, end up being policed by someone else, and the latter is NEVER better than the former.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James, please just keep doing what you're doing. Compared to other forums, this one provides a good balance. The rant ratio is comparatively low, and the help ratio is the best. On balance, I'd say the list of doing a lot more to help DP (and its users) than to harm it. Maybe the best thing we can do with the pointless or unfounded rants is to ignore them. Things that don't get answered fall off the front page pretty quickly here.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I wasn't trying to be combative in any of my posts, and while I'll admit I went overboard and too generalized in my dislike of DP's plugs, I've always tried to temper anything negative I've said with the aspects of the program that I genuinely love in the same post. Divergent viewpoints are what make this forum interesting, though I concede I could have done it more constructively, in this case.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Armageddon wrote:I wasn't trying to be combative in any of my posts, and while I'll admit I went overboard and too generalized in my dislike of DP's plugs, I've always tried to temper anything negative I've said with the aspects of the program that I genuinely love in the same post. Divergent viewpoints are what make this forum interesting, though I concede I could have done it more constructively, in this case.

Thank you. Again, I really wasn't singling you out. I've just been climbing up on the soap box lately, because someone has to do something, and James has done about as much as he can do. Well, I saw my name sitting up there by James's name, and it just occurred to me... maybe I'd better start saying what's on my mind. As I said before, the vast majority of your posts have been very constructive. And it takes a gentleman to concede to the constructive viewpoint, so thanks again. I won't labor the point; I think most everyone understands the dilemma.

Here's hoping for not just good times, but great!

Shooshie