Surround bundles

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
liberfab
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Surround bundles

Post by liberfab »

Hello everybody !
I am new on this list, and am very grateful for this opportunity.

My main problem: I use DP6 (driving Digidesign DAE), with a couple of Digidesign 192 interfaces, but I have not yet found the way to make active Surround bundles.
The DP Bundles system let me enable only mono or stereo bundles.

Please note that using the same Digidesign hardware, my ProTools software works flawlessly in Surround, no problem to make active Surround I/O bundles.
Same problem with my previous DP 5.

So, I would like to receive some help, I admit I really need it: any input will be very appreciated. :)
Fabio
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Surround bundles

Post by twistedtom »

Go to the bundles window and when creating bundles there is a box neat to the " add bundles box" it is "add mulitple" open that and select 5.1.
You will need to moce the chanels to match your interfaces as it likes to put them in 4-8.
Adding 5.1 bundles to busses and out puts works the same.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
liberfab

Post by liberfab »

twistedtom wrote:Go to the bundles window and when creating bundles there is a box neat to the " add bundles box" it is "add mulitple" open that and select 5.1.
You will need to moce the chanels to match your interfaces as it likes to put them in 4-8.
Adding 5.1 bundles to busses and out puts works the same.
Hi, thanks a lot for your kind reply. :)

I did it, but, again, no boxes enabled... :?
In the same conditions ProTools software works OK.

Please, feel free to add any other idea or suggestion, thanks again.

Fabio
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Hi there

Try this: go to the Bundles window

Click on Add, and a Stereo Bundle will be added. Under the Model heading where it says Stereo is actually a drop down menu, which gives all the surround options.

If you choose 5.1, it will give you six outputs, and you can drag these to match your outputs

Hope this helps

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
liberfab

Post by liberfab »

stephentayler wrote:Hi there

Try this: go to the Bundles window

Click on Add, and a Stereo Bundle will be added. Under the Model heading where it says Stereo is actually a drop down menu, which gives all the surround options.

If you choose 5.1, it will give you six outputs, and you can drag these to match your outputs

Hope this helps

Cheers

Stephen
Thanks a lot, Stephen, I did it, but when I switch on 5.1 from stereo, the stereo disappear and all boxes became gray again... :cry:
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Ah I missed that, it must be that DP is not seeing the hardware properly..... I am not familiar with the setup with DIGI interfaces.... do you need to check under Audio/MIDI setup??

Also not familiar with any quirks with running DP under DAE

Cheers

Stephen

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
liberfab

Post by liberfab »

stephentayler wrote:Ah I missed that, it must be that DP is not seeing the hardware properly..... I am not familiar with the setup with DIGI interfaces.... do you need to check under Audio/MIDI setup??

Cheers

Stephen
Hi again, Stephen, I checked but the AUDIO SETUP does not help...

I hope sooner or later somebody will drive me on the right point... :(

Best wishes,
FABIO
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

The ways we said works so there for it is in the protools set up some how. Your on 6? Will Qmix do any thing for digi?
Try the Apple Audio set up. It looks like DP is not seeing the fact that you have a number of inputs on your inter face. Try adding a number of tracks say 8 and move them into the spots, then try adding a 5.1 bundle. Sorry I do not have Digi ether.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

Hello !
Are you capable to create multiples output stereo bundles for exemple
1 connected to output 1 & 2
2 connected to output 3 & 4

and so on ?

Aramis

liberfab wrote:
stephentayler wrote:Ah I missed that, it must be that DP is not seeing the hardware properly..... I am not familiar with the setup with DIGI interfaces.... do you need to check under Audio/MIDI setup??

Cheers

Stephen
Hi again, Stephen, I checked but the AUDIO SETUP does not help...

I hope sooner or later somebody will drive me on the right point... :(

Best wishes,
FABIO
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
liberfab

Post by liberfab »

twistedtom wrote:The ways we said works so there for it is in the protools set up some how. Your on 6? Will Qmix do any thing for digi?
Try the Apple Audio set up. It looks like DP is not seeing the fact that you have a number of inputs on your inter face. Try adding a number of tracks say 8 and move them into the spots, then try adding a 5.1 bundle. Sorry I do not have Digi ether.
Great, thanks,I will try it on tomorrow morning,in my studio, now I am back home... :oops:

See you tomorrow, and thanks again ! :)
Fabio
liberfab

Post by liberfab »

Aramis wrote:Hello !
and so on ?
Aramis
Hello Aramis,
thanks for your kind reply, , yes, I can move a pair stereo output on any bundle location...

I will be at work on this on tomorrow, see you later ! :)
FABIO
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

Wow !
So DP sees multiple outputs , 6 and more ?
And DP does not let you choose 5.1 ?

Aramis
liberfab wrote:
Aramis wrote:Hello !
and so on ?
Aramis
Hello Aramis,
thanks for your kind reply, , yes, I can move a pair stereo output on any bundle location...

I will be at work on this on tomorrow, see you later ! :)
FABIO
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Try and see if DP allows you to create a 5.1 Buss

Cheers

Stephen

modular

Post by modular »

You're not going to find happiness if you want to set up surround bundles in DP when running under DAE. At the moment, DP doesn't support DAE/Surround. I have to create 6 mono tracks (L,R,C, Ls, Rs, and LFE), group them and send the mixes through my board. The downside is there are then no surround plugins available and you can't mix/pan signals internally. I'm really hoping that the next update addresses this. 90% of everything I do is now delivered in surround and not being able to do it properly in DP is a real drag. Due to major problems in DP6 under DAE, I also have to stay at DP 5.13. Good luck
DP8.04, Mac Pro 2 x 3.2GHz Quad Core running 10.6.8, 16GB RAM, Pro Tools HD5 with four 192 interfaces,VEP Pro 5 running on custom built PC/Windows 7, Vienna Instrument Pro, 2 x MOTU Travellers, UAD Apollo Quad, Waves 9, Slate Digital, Sound Toys, Spectrasonics Stylus, Omnisphere, Trillian, Ivory, Lounge Lizard, Kontact 5, Guitar Rig, LASS strings, Symphobia 1 & 2, Control 24, 2 x Artist Mix and 1 x Artist Control, Yamaha Disklavier Pro plus too many other VIs and plugins to list
liberfab

Post by liberfab »

modular wrote:You're not going to find happiness if you want to set up surround bundles in DP when running under DAE. At the moment, DP doesn't support DAE/Surround. I have to create 6 mono tracks (L,R,C, Ls, Rs, and LFE), group them and send the mixes through my board. The downside is there are then no surround plugins available and you can't mix/pan signals internally. I'm really hoping that the next update addresses this. 90% of everything I do is now delivered in surround and not being able to do it properly in DP is a real drag. Due to major problems in DP6 under DAE, I also have to stay at DP 5.13. Good luck
WOW, this is a knockout ! :x
So, if you are right, and my experience confirm that, DP has a major handicap indeed...
I am astonished. :shock:

I will wait for an official answer by MOTU and then will let you all know.
It is a real pity, say a shame, that surround/DAE operation is not yet supported.

Thanks everybody, this is a great group, I will be very pleased to stay tuned here. :)