How do I move multiple tracks with the Move Handle?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
red1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How do I move multiple tracks with the Move Handle?

Post by red1 »

Is there a way to move multiple tracks with the Move Handle? I've search the manual with no luck, it seems like it would be a simple thing to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do I move multiple tracks with the Move Handle?

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie just posted about this in another thread, with pictures and everything. I don't remember by heart, but if you open the Key Commands window, and search for that function (move selected tracks to be together), you'll see what the current keyboard shurtcut is, or you can assign your own. I think option (or control) -home sends selected tracks to the top.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
red1

Post by red1 »

Thanks! I searched for Shooshi's post, but couldn't find it. I'll try your suggestions.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

CONTROL-HOME takes 'em to the top
CONTROL-END takes 'em to the bottom.
CONTROL-PageUp/PageDown moves 'em by one line at a time...

and one of them gathers them up when they're scattered. Seems like maybe CONTROL-OPTION-HOME. I forget off hand. I feel around for it and usually find it in a couple of clicks. I'll find it and post it next time I've got DP open. Wife and I are about to watch a movie, and it's not about DP, VSL, Wallander Instruments, Plugins, or any other DAW oriented subject.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
modular

Post by modular »

I'll usually put the tracks in a folder and then move the folder to where I want. Then I'll remove the folder and the tracks will be in place.
DP8.04, Mac Pro 2 x 3.2GHz Quad Core running 10.6.8, 16GB RAM, Pro Tools HD5 with four 192 interfaces,VEP Pro 5 running on custom built PC/Windows 7, Vienna Instrument Pro, 2 x MOTU Travellers, UAD Apollo Quad, Waves 9, Slate Digital, Sound Toys, Spectrasonics Stylus, Omnisphere, Trillian, Ivory, Lounge Lizard, Kontact 5, Guitar Rig, LASS strings, Symphobia 1 & 2, Control 24, 2 x Artist Mix and 1 x Artist Control, Yamaha Disklavier Pro plus too many other VIs and plugins to list
red1

Post by red1 »

Thanks everyone, with your help I've got it now. But it took forever to figure out how to find the home button on my MacPro keyboard...Ctrl-Fn-Home:)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

red1 wrote:Thanks everyone, with your help I've got it now. But it took forever to figure out how to find the home button on my MacPro keyboard...Ctrl-Fn-Home:)

Oh my. I didn't realize the dreaded fn key reached all the way down to the Home and End keys. I swapped mine around in Apple's Keyboard Prefs so that the default was the ORIGINAL meaning of the keys, and to use the fancy buttons like sound, brightness, and transport controls I'd have to push the fn key. Really Confusing! People trying to turn down the volume on my keyboard rarely figure it out until their ears or the speakers are blown. I wish they hadn't made this crazy system. It was fine the way it was.

Well, you can change the keys that do this. Make them anything you want. It's all part of the COMMANDS WINDOW (SHIFT-L). I recommend printing that thing out (close the section on Quickscribe Fonts first) and punch holes in it and put it in a reference notebook you can keep handy. Mark it up with your custom commands and when you get enough of them, print it again. The COMMANDS WINDOW really opens up the power of Digital Performer for me. When I come up with a routine that I think "I wish DP worked this way," I can just set up some keys in the COMMANDS WINDOW and suddenly I've got a whole new way of working.

The ability to move tracks around with the keyboard is a blessing. One other good one is OPTION-SHIFT-UP/DOWN-ARROW. This moves the selection to another track, line at a time. Oh, and the one which gathers lots of tracks together into one spot is Control-Option-Home. I was right about that in the previous post.

enjoy the ability to move tracks around quickly!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hey Shoosh... I'm experimenting right now trying to find the right setting with which to print the Commands window. Seems like in Print Preview there's always half a row at the bottom of page where it's cut off and I can't read it. I'm losing a row of the commands per page. Any advice on how you printed yours out to avoid that?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:Hey Shoosh... I'm experimenting right now trying to find the right setting with which to print the Commands window. Seems like in Print Preview there's always half a row at the bottom of page where it's cut off and I can't read it. I'm losing a row of the commands per page. Any advice on how you printed yours out to avoid that?

You're right! If Page Setup is set to 100%, you lose exactly one line per page. I had Page Setup set to 90% (for no special reason other than to conserve paper), which scrapes a little off the last line, but not so much that you can't tell what it says or what the command is. 101% also worked about the same, but of course it takes more paper. See if Page Setup at 90% helps yours to come out right.

Shoosh