Calling all UAD-1 users!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
giles117
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Calling all UAD-1 users!

Post by giles117 »

Here is another vote for UAD.

Been using it for a while now. it is my Goto Set of Plugs. Powercore is 2nd and waves.. Hmmm basically when I just want5 something different. (Like almost never. LOL)
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

Hey everyone! Thanks for all of the great replies. I have a few other BIG questions regarding the UAD-1:

1)How well does this non-Native system do with the new Latency Compensation doo-hicky in DP4.51?

2) How many instances of plugs can one card put up with? Do the plugs have to run off of the card engine?

In short, is anyone running into any problems setting up plugs throughout a 24-32 track mix with a UAD-1?

Thanks so much!

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
Coleman

Post by Coleman »

Hi. I'm also looking into buying the UAD-1 Studio Pack. Any info. out there regarding latency issues with DP4 and UAD-1?

Thanks!

Coleman
Coleman

Post by Coleman »

Whoops!

Just noticed that Jeff asked the same question (only a little more specifically). Looking forward to replies...

Coleman
dix

Post by dix »

Originally posted by jeff:
1)How well does this non-Native system do with the new Latency Compensation doo-hicky in DP4.51?

2) How many instances of plugs can one card put up with? Do the plugs have to run off of the card engine?

In short, is anyone running into any problems setting up plugs throughout a 24-32 track mix with a UAD-1?
I'm not having any real latency issues - hit Play once and it's fine.

Here's a pdf that will tell you max amount plugins you can run on the uad-1.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

Runs great in dp 4.5. The latency thing is invisible. The only problem is that the card maxes out at around 80% usage. It's some issue with the g5 pci bus and the uad-1 card. So, I personally don't get a ton of the plugs available. My guess is that this is some hardware thing between apple and ua. don't know if it will ever be resolved short of redesigning a new card. You can email them for specifics. But, I like the plugs so much and I wanted more horse power so I just ordered a 2nd card if that tells you anything. I think they've taken my mixes to a new level. For me it's the compressor plugs and the pultec. Very cool.
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Same here, the latency compensation is very cool, but that 80% card max out is strange. Just tried out the precision limiter.....damm......got to get it.

<small>[ January 08, 2005, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: kwiz ]</small>
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
emagine

Post by emagine »

I'm using 2 UAD-1 cards and 1 Powercore card in a mac G4 1.25 single processor mac. Dp 4.5 works well in terms of delay compensation and made using the UAD-1 a joy. The one problem with DP 4.5 that has stood out for me is the instability caused when I used the sends to mix. If you are placing a reverb on an aux and adding reverb to tracks this way I have found DP 4.5 to be unstable. DP 4.51 has been better for the sends in my case however the delay compensation seems less reliable sometimes requiring several starts and stops or time to pass before track ran in sync. In my case, I have found it difficult to choose which of the programs to use since I need delay compensation and I mix using the sends. When things are working it is a thing of beauty and DP 4.5 and 4.51 and the UAD-1 cards are an excellent combination. I find the UAD-1s much more stable that the Powercore card I use and a lot less problematic when using DP 4.5. I have been running projects of 24-32 tracks at 24 bit 44.1khz on my machine. There are several different plugs to use with the uad-1 so in my case I find that I can use several of the less cpu intensive plugs like the cambridge eqs ( say 8-10) and still have room for a few more card intesive plugs like the Farichild, 1176, or Putec-pro on stand out parts of my mix. I would suggest you maximize the ram in your computer as these cards do use a fair amount of your computer's cpu. The UAD-1s have been some of best studio purchases I've made offer great potential with the latest versions of DP.

Emagine
G5 2.0 DP / OS 10.4.8 / 4 gig ram/ Powerbook 1.67Ghz 1.5 Gig ram / Metric Halo UNL2/ DP 4.6.1 / Reason 3 / Avid PCI Expansion Chassis / 4 X UAD-1/ Powercore Element (VSS3) /
demonsp

Post by demonsp »

Howdy all! (happy new year)

I just received my third and fourth UAD-1 cards, Yayy for me!!
I bought so many because they're the only plugs I like. Having worked with Waves plugs in a PT mix 24 system and tried everything else, they are my plugs of choice.

I work on 24/192khz recordings and four cards are plenty for a mix.
Now I wish I could say the same for DP..=(

I'm still running 4.12 and it's really not happening...

But hey! I got the killer plugs!
Dual 867Mhz G4 (MDD), APPLE 17" Display, MacOS 10.4.11, 2Gb. RAM, 4 internal drives (2 x 120 gbs./8mb cache audio drives in ATA66 bus, RAID stripe), MOTU 896HD, 4 x UAD-1, WaveArts Wavesurround Pro, DP 5.13, Reason 3.0.5, Recycle 2.1, Novation Remote 25SL, Mackie HR624, MGE ups.
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

Originally posted by demonsp:
Howdy all! (happy new year)

I just received my third and fourth UAD-1 cards, Yayy for me!!
I bought so many because they're the only plugs I like. Having worked with Waves plugs in a PT mix 24 system and tried everything else, they are my plugs of choice.

I work on 24/192khz recordings and four cards are plenty for a mix.
Now I wish I could say the same for DP..=(

I'm still running 4.12 and it's really not happening...

But hey! I got the killer plugs!
Are you using a Magma expansion chassis to run all these cards? Also, can't imagine using this type of card without the automatic delay compensation. I waited until DP 4.5 to get mine because of it. How do you do it :confused:
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
demonsp

Post by demonsp »

Oopsy daisy! Late reply.

Apologies.

I don't use a Magma, just 4 cards inside the Mac (G4) and interface is firewire.
Have set up system so I use one thing on a separate bus. (PCI for DSP, Firewire for interfaces, USB for small peripherals, ATA for drives, etc)

Hope this helps! Excuse the lateness.
Dual 867Mhz G4 (MDD), APPLE 17" Display, MacOS 10.4.11, 2Gb. RAM, 4 internal drives (2 x 120 gbs./8mb cache audio drives in ATA66 bus, RAID stripe), MOTU 896HD, 4 x UAD-1, WaveArts Wavesurround Pro, DP 5.13, Reason 3.0.5, Recycle 2.1, Novation Remote 25SL, Mackie HR624, MGE ups.
dtobocman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dtobocman »

Just to confuse things... The TC Powercore's (stock) Classic Verb is sweet. The plates on that thing have a special appeal that I've only heard on hardware verbs... and very few of them at that. It's my go-to vocal reverb.

I'm also loving the Virus Powercore plug (not stock). Whoopie... a fully programmable analog synth that sounds absolutely incregible.

I'm using Waves for EQ and compression, but there's a bug with DP4.x where the plugs come up "flat" until you click on one of the fields... and 1 in 10 times that doesn't even work. Pretty goofy for professional work... Be warned.

I don't know if the bug has been repaired in DP5. Anyone know?[/i]
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

I bought the UAD-1 card and love it. I do like what the powercore has as options, but price for what you get, I went with it. I also like the ease of upgrading to more cards.
[MacPro-4x2.66/7G/OSX10.5.2 - 2x896HD - ADA8000 - Lucid Genx6 - DP5.13 - Logic 8.02 - 2xUAD1e - ExpressXT - Mach5 - MX4 - Korg LegD - impOSCar - Battery3 - uTonic - Rapture - DimPro - Vanguard - Reaktor5 - Absynth4 - FM8 - Pro53 - Vokator - Waldorf Ed - Addictive Drums - Melodyne - Ultra Analog - Zebra2 - WaveArts - - Altiverb - Etc. ]
[Virus TI - Virus B - Waldorf Q - Waldorf uwXT - Supernova II - Nord Rack 3 - JP8080 - XV5080 - Fantom X7 - Triton Rack - Pro/cussion]
dweiss

Post by dweiss »

I've got the UAD and some Waves plugs as well. I like all these things, but the Waves upgrade thing stinks.

Question for you guys who have moved away from the L1/L2 to the Precision limiter: How do you handle dithering and noiseshaping now?
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

Man, this thread is old. Started back in January of last year. Who ressurrected it?

Oh, UAD-1 is great. A must-have for mixing.