Critique my drum Mix

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bOing
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Critique my drum Mix

Post by bOing »

Tomrabbit wrote:
bOing wrote:Yes, the feel is a little pushy. And if you put a high pass filter on the hats at about 500k, you'll have lots left over to mix with and they'll get nice and crispy. Kick sounds nice, to my ears, but I think I'm distracted by the highhats. Didn't notice the snare - sort of neutral. Levels seemed pretty constant, maybe a little more bounce in the levels would help.

[Please realize, I could be totally wrong, for what your tastes are.]
bOing, you are usually dead on. But 500k? Um, sounds a bit high. :)
Um, do I hear 250k? Okay, okay, how about 500Hz and I throw in a beach towel? Deal?

[I think I had a misfiring synapse and was thinking about guitar pots or something... :wink: ]
Success is just one more plugin away! And happiness is as close as your next upgrade.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bOing wrote:
Mr_Clifford wrote:
kassonica wrote:I like the push of drummers playing early.
Must be the 80's left over in me ;)
Well someone's gotta get to the beat first.
:)
I push a lot of my material, but I think this song feels a little more layed back. laid? Leighed? I'll get it right.
Hey, I'll push anything for a commission. LOL

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bOing

Post by bOing »

See that button over there, the red one that says "goodbye, cruel world!" with the radiation icon on it? Yeah, that's the one. Can you push it? I'll give you 50% of everything that survives. :)

Except the cockroaches. I want those for stir fry. I believe you're a termite man anyway, right?
Success is just one more plugin away! And happiness is as close as your next upgrade.
3rdpath

Post by 3rdpath »

my 2 cents...

the drums are pretty much fine, i'd just back off the verbs some because that sets them back further in the mix impact wise. maybe roll off some muddiness in the toms. also, if you want to compress, i'd bounce the drums down to stereo and compress that puppy...then bring it in under your other indie trax of drums. you gotta fusk around to find the balance between all these trax.

furthermore, the drum spread needs to be wider..not overly wide...just wider. maybe your stereo overheads could be panned wider ( assuming there's no phase issues).

listening to your mix, the drums are plenty loud...too loud IMHO. i'd pull them back, then bring in some low end support with the bass...a tight locked-in bass track makes the kick that much more effective. another thing, you have a very 'snappy' kick sound and a thin picked bass sound-somebody's gotta be in charge of the thump ( i vote kick!).

lastly, listen closely to a band you hear as a reference...someone who might be played alongside on pandora. see how they're mixing.
mac pro 2.66 quad, 7gb RAM, 10.4.10, dp5.13, M5v2.01, kontact3, reason4, ivory, addictive drums, BFD2, ocean way drums, stylus, altiverb, speakerphone, gearbox, EWQLSO platinumXP, apogee ensemble, izotope ozone, liquid mix, imposcar, vintage neves, UA 1176's...yada yada yada.
Tomrabbit

Post by Tomrabbit »

bOing wrote:
Tomrabbit wrote:
bOing wrote:Yes, the feel is a little pushy. And if you put a high pass filter on the hats at about 500k, you'll have lots left over to mix with and they'll get nice and crispy. Kick sounds nice, to my ears, but I think I'm distracted by the highhats. Didn't notice the snare - sort of neutral. Levels seemed pretty constant, maybe a little more bounce in the levels would help.

[Please realize, I could be totally wrong, for what your tastes are.]
bOing, you are usually dead on. But 500k? Um, sounds a bit high. :)
Um, do I hear 250k? Okay, okay, how about 500Hz and I throw in a beach towel? Deal?

[I think I had a misfiring synapse and was thinking about guitar pots or something... :wink: ]
:lol: :lol:

wow, that's funny, I flashed back to the guitar thing too. 500k on the Lester, and 250k on the Strat.... if i remember.
MacBook Pro 8,3 2.3GHz i7 16GB Ram 10.11.6 , DP 7.2.4 & DP8 , Ultralite, Micro Express, Altiverb 6, Nomad Factory Integral Studio Pack etc...
bOing

Post by bOing »

3rdpath wrote:my 2 cents...
listening to your mix, the drums are plenty loud...too loud IMHO. i'd pull them back
I thought so too. But the arrangement is sparse, so I guess the idea was to fill space. But yeah, they are a bit out front, like boobs in a tight sweater. [God, I love music!]
Tomrabbit wrote:
bOing wrote: Um, do I hear 250k?...
:lol: :lol:
wow, that's funny, I flashed back to the guitar thing too. 500k on the Lester, and 250k on the Strat.... if i remember.
Motunation™ - Laugh and learn. And then laugh some more.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bOing wrote:See that button over there, the red one that says "goodbye, cruel world!" with the radiation icon on it? Yeah, that's the one. Can you push it? I'll give you 50% of everything that survives. :)
Hang on mate; that's not fair! A commission paid with what I already have? I'll take a token 100k, FWIW.
bOing wrote:Except the cockroaches. I want those for stir fry. I believe you're a termite man anyway, right?
Brittle and charred... hang on, I didn't hit that button, did I? I mean, guilty as charged, RK. :lol:

bOing

Post by bOing »

Isn't digital audio fun?! :)
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Dunno, RK - it sounds like a bunch of ones and zeros to me. :lol:

Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Alright, I've done a bunch of work, and updated the link. I've still to mess with the bass part and fix that pushy feel (it's synth bass, if you hadn't guessed... my band is a trio). But I'm much happier with the drum part now. I finally am starting to like the toms, for one, and I think everythings a bit punchier, due to a great suggestion to mix in a bit of a highly compressed drum mix. I also fine-tuned the balance of the whole track a bit.

http://music.ericbarker.com/rock/Icarus ... y_Town.mp3
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy