DP6 AU sidechain working?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
XYZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP6 AU sidechain working?

Post by XYZ »

In pre-release documentation, DP6 was said to be able to more fully support the AU specification, to include side chaining.

Does anyone know of any AU compressors that are working with AU sidechain?
MacPro2.66/3GB/828mk3/Rosetta800/UAD-2Quad/Waves/
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

I was just checking out Sonalksis http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php?section_id=315T

It has external sidechaining?? woah , gotta download this thing.

T
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There are not many plugins that I know of which actually utilize side-chaining. One of them is DP's original old compressor. Waves plugins allow for it, but require you to split the channels of the audio file and all sorts of complications, but they work without real side-chaining enabled. I guess the Sonalksis is a good bet. I haven't seen it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Shooshie wrote:There are not many plugins that I know of which actually utilize side-chaining. One of them is DP's original old compressor. Waves plugins allow for it, but require you to split the channels of the audio file and all sorts of complications, but they work without real side-chaining enabled. I guess the Sonalksis is a good bet. I haven't seen it.

Shooshie
Does it strike anyone else as odd (or maybe there's a technical reason) that sidechaining was implemented in the now-ancient Dynamics plug but not in the newer Masterworks plugs? Whenever I need a sidechain function I have to go for the Dynamics plug, and let's face it, it ain't the best sounding plug by today's standards. I've tried, but never figured out a workaround.

cheers
Phil
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
XYZ

Post by XYZ »

Looks like the dB audioware has the most flexibility and functionality. I was hoping that audio units would eventually allow any [most] compressors to expose their control signal such that I could buss a sidechain signal to any compressor. I was hoping to [for example] add in an emphasized sibiliant signal to an LA2A so that it would also de-ess, use a kick to duck a waves L2 on bass, etc. Oh well, maybe next revision of the AU spec.
XYZ

Post by XYZ »

philbrown,

Exactly! This is why I was excited when I heard the latest AU standard would allow side-chaining, and that DP6 was being brought up to the latest AU standard. What I did not think through is that the plugs have to also expose the side chain in order to be able to connect up to it. In hind sight, I probably wanted more processing on the side chain anyway [like wanting to compress and possibly expand, and EQ the sidechain heavily]. Still, it would be great to get the great sound of some of [for example] the UA compressors when needing a side chain vs the plain Jane MOTU dynamics plug.

X
burn em

Post by burn em »

Tonio wrote:I was just checking out Sonalksis http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php?section_id=315T

It has external sidechaining?? woah , gotta download this thing.

T
Indeed! Very good comp I use all the time.

Would be very stoked if I could finally use the sidechain!
Macbook Pro i7 17"-10.6.8 16Gb DP 7.24 ][ G5 dual 2 ghz pci, 4Gb-10.4.11 DP 7.12
Nomad Factory ][ Airwindows Gatelope (The best drums gate. buy it!) ][ Altiverb 6
MOTU 828 mkIII, 828 mkI x3, 8Pre ][ Apogee AD16, DA16 & Duet ][ MC Mix ][ API 3124+ ][ Toft ATB 24
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

burn em wrote:Indeed! Very good comp I use all the time.

Is that the SV-315 Mk2. I was looking at that the other day. Sounds like you like it. Please tell us more. What would you compare it to, soundwise? Have you had good experiences with Sonalksis as a company?...etc.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

It definately works in DP 6/leo on a MAC PRO quad 2.66 so far, no knob issues of any kind !!
30 day demo, no limitations.
I gave it a try. Very subtle but is capable of some character. I have't gotten to really get in with it to actually use the soft knee algo for a subtle compression, etc.
Seems really stable in DP6 and everything is layed out nice.

Would like to hear more from burn em

T
PrimeMover

Post by PrimeMover »

I still use the old dynamics plug more than the masterworks compressor just because I'm not as comfortable doing single-band compression with the MW compressor. I know you can turn off the multi-bands (right?), but I'm not exactly sure how to do it. Call it habit... maybe even a bad habbit, but I still use the dynamics proceessor. Also, I'm guessing that the old plugin probably uses less CPU time.
Mac Pro (Quad 2GHz) | 7GB RAM | Mac OS 10.5.4 (Leopard)
DP6 & DP 5.13 | Kontakt 3 | EWQLSO Gold XP
MOTU 8pre | Alesis QS8.1 Synthesizer
DP6 crashes with ProVerb
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Phil O wrote:
burn em wrote:Indeed! Very good comp I use all the time.

Is that the SV-315 Mk2. I was looking at that the other day. Sounds like you like it. Please tell us more. What would you compare it to, soundwise? Have you had good experiences with Sonalksis as a company?...etc.

Phil
The Sonalksis Essentials Bundle is for my money the very, very best "work-horse" plug-in bundle there is. It's my first choice for track EQ and compressor, one of the very few software plugs where you can i.e. crank the high end some 6 or 9dB and not get punished by crappy graininess, and of all the ones I tried (and I've tried a whole lot!) it is in my experience the smoothest and most transparent compressor plug. The gate is also great, though the mono version forgets settings in DP5.13. Hoping that is fixed with the mo' better AU implementation in DP6.

You can use the whole bundle pretty much like analog hardware, and it sounds like clean, transparent (as opposed to thick and vibey) analog gear as well.

In comparison, the Waves Renaissance EQ and comp sound smallish and old-timey (though I use it often for that very purpose) and MW EQ sounds downright shrill (again, that's in comparison - MW EQ is not bad by any measure!) The Sony Oxford EQ and compressor sound colder and grainier in comparison as well, though there's a place for that. (I ended up only keeping the Sonnox Transient Designer.)

Sonalksis Essentials is not overtly 'vibey' (for that I use i.e. Abbey Road compressor or Abbey Road Brilliance pack) but rather clean, smooth and transparent. IMO it's the one set of EQ/Compressor/Gate that's positively indispensible - if I had to reduce my selection to a single set, Sonalksis would be it.

And they've been easy and straightforward to deal with, though I haven't had too much reason to.

:D
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Thanks for that Kubi !
Have you tried the sidechain module on the 315?
I have'nt had a chance to tackle that yet.

T
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks Kub. 8)
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Ah the 315 - I really really like that one.
How to describe it...
Transparent yet not characterless.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

yes, but does the side chain work in DP6 now? :roll:
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing