What's "Broadcast WAV"

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mike_o
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What's "Broadcast WAV"

Post by mike_o »

what is the difference between .wav and broadcast wav, I've heard some exitement about DP's new support for these, but why, how are they different and what are the benefits?
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll take a shot at it. BWAV is more common apparently and can be read by more DAWs on different platforms. BWAV can retain time-stamping information with the file where as standard WAV cannot. SD2 is really a very old format that as I recall, even Digidesign (who created it) isn't using it. It's funny... it's a format named after an application: Sound Designer. Brings back memories of my first Audiomedia II card. :D
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bralston

Post by bralston »

Broadcast Wave is the new industry standard for audio recording. It has a lot of meta data in the header of the file for time stamping info and the like. It is what Pro Tools now uses. I would highly recommend to anyone that all future DP projects (now that we have the choice in DP6) be recorded in Broadcast wave format to help facilitate greater compatibility with other DAWs in the market that are also moving to Broadcast wave. It will also be a much more stable audio file than SDII which has more of a tendency to get corrupted header information.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

thanks for the heads up, but what is meta data?
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

mike_o wrote:thanks for the heads up, but what is meta data?
Strictly speaking, it means "data about data". In this context, it refers to additional information about the audio file — timestamp, date recorded, etc. — that's stored within the audio file.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

By the way, there is a glossary of some abbreviations and acronyms we commonly see in this forum on page 2 of the tips sheet. Not a complete solution, but liable to have the acronyms you're looking for. If not, it has a link to another dictionary. If you find that an important acronym or abbreviation is not present, send it to me and I'll try to include it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thank you for clearing that up and for the sound(!) advice, Brian.
I've been wondering about which format to choose but figured I'd ask when DP6 eventually arrives down under.
Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Silly question maybe, but is the file type easily read by most OSes, the Finder and CD players etc?
Forgive my ignorance, please.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

monkey man wrote:Silly question maybe, but is the file type easily read by most OSes, the Finder and CD players etc?
Properly written Broadcast WAVE files should appear as regular WAVE files to apps that aren't hep to the BWAV info in the file. WAVE is a pretty ubiquitous format so there shouldn't be any problems getting DP's BWAV files to play elsewhere.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Ahh... good news, carrythebanner.
Sounds like some sort of future-proofing for DP projects can be achieved then.

Thank you!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
tripit@earthlink.net

Post by tripit@earthlink.net »

James Steele wrote:I'll take a shot at it. BWAV is more common apparently and can be read by more DAWs on different platforms. BWAV can retain time-stamping information with the file where as standard WAV cannot. SD2 is really a very old format that as I recall, even Digidesign (who created it) isn't using it. It's funny... it's a format named after an application: Sound Designer. Brings back memories of my first Audiomedia II card. :D
I had that card as well. Also had the original Soundtools app, the precursor to to Sound Designer. Man that was a long time ago.
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

I'm curious. When you look at a sound file in the finder, how can you tell if it's a wave or broadcast wave? They seem to all just say wav. Is one WAVE and the other wave?

Thanks
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

wurliuchi wrote:I'm curious. When you look at a sound file in the finder, how can you tell if it's a wave or broadcast wave? They seem to all just say wav. Is one WAVE and the other wave?

Thanks
You can't tell the difference really. From what I can tell, Broadcast Wave just took the original Wave format and added extra metadata to enable timestamping, tempo information etc. So if you have a program like 'snapper' and you bring up the file info and there's a timestamp other than 0:00:00:00 then you know it's Broadcast Wave.

Personally, I'm quite looking forward to kissing the SDII format goodbye forever. Well except for when I have to go back to old archived DP projects.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
PrimeMover

Post by PrimeMover »

Just a word of warning... BWav doesn't seem to play very well with my iPod. Sometimes they work, sometimes they crash the little bugger. So, if you drag one into iTunes, as a way of demoing the track later on an iPod or iPhone, you might want to get iTunes to re-encode it as a standard WAV file. I'll have to experiment with this, but I'm guessing it's why I had problems this morning.

I like to demo tracks in the car, while I'm driving around, as a way of hearing how they'll sound to other people... that and... I just like listening to my music ;)
Mac Pro (Quad 2GHz) | 7GB RAM | Mac OS 10.5.4 (Leopard)
DP6 & DP 5.13 | Kontakt 3 | EWQLSO Gold XP
MOTU 8pre | Alesis QS8.1 Synthesizer
DP6 crashes with ProVerb
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

Mr_Clifford wrote:
wurliuchi wrote:I'm curious. When you look at a sound file in the finder, how can you tell if it's a wave or broadcast wave? They seem to all just say wav. Is one WAVE and the other wave?

Thanks
You can't tell the difference really. From what I can tell, Broadcast Wave just took the original Wave format and added extra metadata to enable timestamping, tempo information etc. So if you have a program like 'snapper' and you bring up the file info and there's a timestamp other than 0:00:00:00 then you know it's Broadcast Wave.

Personally, I'm quite looking forward to kissing the SDII format goodbye forever. Well except for when I have to go back to old archived DP projects.
Thanks!

I too have been looking forward to using bwav, too. Losing time stamps has bitten me in the butt a couple of times.

I started tracking my first project in DP6 yesterday, but I forgot to check the preferences. When I looked later I found it was set to "SDII for current project." Dang! I had set up the tracks for this project in DP5.11 before I got DP6 and I guess that's why it was like that. No big deal, of course, but I was a little disappointed.

BTW, the tracking session went fine. Nothing horrible happened because I was working in DP6. Yeah, I got lost a couple of times, but nothing major. It was kind of fun. Very low-pressure session, though.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Perhaps this is a little off topic but what about 24 bit vs 32 bit floating point. Has anyone experimented yet with this format in DP6? Advantages, disadvantages?

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.