Get Dp 6.0 or stay with 5.13?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Trevort
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Get Dp 6.0 or stay with 5.13?

Post by Trevort »

Hey guys(or gals to be PC),

I am currently running DP 5.13 on my new Mac Pro (8-core)
Should I take the jump to DP 6 now or wait a bit
in terms of use. Everything for now seems to work fine.
I'm using Superior 2.0 which is also new for me. Damn those hihats!
Any thought's for or against?
Users of both prefered.

Thanks!

TT :lol:
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Get Dp 6.0 or stay with 5.13?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Opinions will different. I've been using DP (actually it was Performer then) since version 2.7 and have defended it to the near-death. After about a week (minus a day or two) I am dropping back to 5.13 as there are too many issues for me to deal with day to day.

If you're doing smaller, non-critical stuff, DP 6 might be OK. Then again, save your "Audio Unit Info Cache" file from DP 5.13 somewhere safe if you do decide to upgrade. You might need it to access some of your 3rd party VI's.

Also, if you make a living making music and/or sound and have paying clients or collaborators who will start to freak if you cannot deliver on time, I'd suggest staying on 5.13 until MOTU has had time to iron out the kinks. Just browse around the forums a bit and you'll see what the issues are.

Again, welcome!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Trevort

Post by Trevort »

Thanks so much for the inside on the subject.
I had a feeling it would be best to wait. It just looks interesting.
I'll wait until the bugs are ironed out.
Thanks for the welcome!

TT
:D
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Trevort wrote:Thanks so much for the inside on the subject.
I had a feeling it would be best to wait. It just looks interesting.
I'll wait until the bugs are ironed out.
Thanks for the welcome!

TT
:D
No problem. If you're are already using 5.13 then you know it's a great app. I am hopeful that 6.0x will be even better, but it's not quite ready for prime time - in more ways than one.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
INMT

Post by INMT »

You know I was going to get 6 but 5.3 is doing everything I want for the moment with zero issues. So I think I'll stick with it until I upgrade my laptop or something.
Non-Violence never solved anything.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Keep in mind it's worth it to purchase DP6 now (either full version or upgrade), even if you don't install it. You will need the installer disc, after the updates come out. The updates won't work without the original version of DP6 installed from the disk.

I purchased the upgrade and haven't installed, but I look forward to when the maintenance updates come out and I can then install.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

If it aint broke (In your opinion) Don't fix it.

At some point, though the bugs will be ironed out and DP will be the new master.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Trevort

Post by Trevort »

David Polich wrote:Keep in mind it's worth it to purchase DP6 now (either full version or upgrade), even if you don't install it. You will need the installer disc, after the updates come out. The updates won't work without the original version of DP6 installed from the disk.

I purchased the upgrade and haven't installed, but I look forward to when the maintenance updates come out and I can then install.

Are you suggesting that I will pay more later if I don't get it now?
I could understand what you are are saying if this is the case.
I just thought about buying it now to work with it now.
But, not at the expense of being a crash test dummy.
So, I'll wait. I hope not too long as other things might catch up with updates.
I don't want to be stuck in the "twilight zone".
I wouldn't want to go to another DAW at this point.
So, I'll stay with DP 5.13 for now.
Everything works at this point.
TT
mwalthius

Post by mwalthius »

This is all rather depressing.

I've been out of town for the better part of several weeks and just returned to find my copy of DP6 waiting for me. I plunked down my credit card simply upon learning that the new version had vertical zoom in the track window, something I've wanted for a long time.

But now I read the posts on this board, and many of them are unfavorable. Bugs, bugs, bugs... the whole "it ain't quite done yet" nonsense that seems to plague so much software these days.

I have 5.13 and it runs just peachy keen. I think I'll hold off on 6.

So it goes.

Michael
DP 9.52, MacOS 10.14.1, iMac
Yamaha Montage 8, Virus TI, Moog LP Tribute
Omnisphere, Diva, Sylenth1, Alchemy, Z3TA+2, more
http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd
PrimeMover

Post by PrimeMover »

Well... I'm running both right now... I haven't decided to move EVERYTHING over to DP6 yet, but I've started to migrate here and there (as of this morning). So far, ProVerb is the only thing that really is an all-and-out "gotta-have-it" feature for me, and it may be the thing that keeps me coming back for more DP6 action. However, a few things aren't working quite right yet.

But, I've gotta say, next to ProVerb, eVerb sounds like a "bug" to me, now. So one could say DP5 is just as buggy.
Mac Pro (Quad 2GHz) | 7GB RAM | Mac OS 10.5.4 (Leopard)
DP6 & DP 5.13 | Kontakt 3 | EWQLSO Gold XP
MOTU 8pre | Alesis QS8.1 Synthesizer
DP6 crashes with ProVerb
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

PrimeMover wrote:So far, ProVerb is the only thing that really is an all-and-out "gotta-have-it" feature for me, and it may be the thing that keeps me coming back for more DP6 action.
Track comping is the "gotta-have-it" feature for me. Any time I have to comp a track, the time savings are huge with the Comp Tool!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!