FYI... new ($12.95 - good DEAL!) VI magazine out

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

FYI... new ($12.95 - good DEAL!) VI magazine out

Post by BKK-OZ »

Just downloaded it, so I have no idea if its any good or not... Virtual Instruments

<small>[ July 14, 2005, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: BKK-OZ ]</small>
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
aplanchard

Re: FYI... new ($12.95 - good DEAL!) VI magazine out

Post by aplanchard »

I subscribe and find it to be excellent. Nice to have such a well-written and focused magazine.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

its also nice-n-shiny too!
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
azusa749a
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by azusa749a »

Hey that's a good old Nick, the editor/publisher.
I always enjoy reading his columns from Recording and Mix.

I believe he uses DP too.
davidc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by davidc »

Hi. Where did you see that it's free? I see it listed as $12.95
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I dunno about 4ever, but if you register you can download the pdf after registering with them.

Maybe $ for the print version?

I would think they could do it 4 free, there is a lot of advertising in it.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
onion

Post by onion »

Good tip! I'm downloading now. It'll be interesting to see how the writers and editors take on the challenge of filling up an issue's worth of material every [insert publication period] with as narrow a focus as virtual instruments. I think it's possible, but most others have failed to generate enough read-worthy copy despite a broader scope. Enough posting...off to read!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Very Cool!..This is one of those: "Why didn;t I think of that"..products!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Nick Batzdorf

Post by Nick Batzdorf »

Aargh.

Someone just pointed this out to me.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's not free. What happened is that we weren't able to keep up with the deluge of subscribers signing up for downloads, and just put it on auto-pilot, figuring that we'd sort it out later. I guess we have to put it back on manual.

By the way, I wish we could do it free because of all the ads. :) You don't want to look at our books. It's incredibly expensive starting a business, believe me! No grandeur here, I'm afraid.

And thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it. Hopefully people who have signed up will like it enough to support us by subbing.
Nick Batzdorf, editor/publisher
Virtual Instruments magazine
www.Virtualinstrumentsmag.com
Nick Batzdorf

Post by Nick Batzdorf »

And Onion, we do nothing but talk about this stuff all day long. :)

There are something like 750 V.I. products on the market and counting. We'll be fine.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Sorry Nick if I cost you anything... not my intention @ all, I just innocently went thru the sign-up process and was then able to download the pdf, thought it was good, so I passed the info on to others.

I promise not to read any more of it until I pay!

BTW, the ads are my favourite part, so I wasn't having a go @ you for that either...

I love a mag that gives good ad.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
Nick Batzdorf

Post by Nick Batzdorf »

No no, please read it! And if you like it, shout about it to everyone you see on the street. :)
onion

Post by onion »

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
And Onion, we do nothing but talk about this stuff all day long. :)

There are something like 750 V.I. products on the market and counting. We'll be fine.
Nick, in re-reading my post, it seems I came off rather more negative than I ever intended. I'm sure you and your staff worked hard on this project, and I wish you all the best of luck and truly hope your magazine succeeds. What I've read of the first issue--the Reason article, the Klaus Badelt interview, and the King Idiot sampler piece--I've enjoyed, and I look forward to reading future issues.
Nick Batzdorf

Post by Nick Batzdorf »

Thanks Onion, and I hope I didn't sound snippy, because your comment is certainly valid. I just know from 10-1/2 years editing Recording magazine that the question is always what to leave out, not what are we going to say.

You know, if anyone is interested in checking out the magazine, please email me privately: NB@VirtualInstrumentsMag.com. We have courtesy trial offers going out with a few companies - people who buy Steinberg/Yamaha, East West, Sonic Implants, Chicken Systems, etc. products get a coupon for a free trial courtesy of that company - and there's absolutely no reason we can't "sneak you in" under that program.

<small>[ July 17, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Nick Batzdorf ]</small>