we could use a "Chunks EDL"?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

we could use a "Chunks EDL"?

Post by williemyers »

o.k....I had pretty good success with my "vertical nudge" suggestion...got some good chat and other ideas going. so I'll try again.

I guess I'd call this a "Chunks EDL". Something I noticed while working on a multi-Chunk film score last week was that there doesn't appear to be any place to see all of your Chunks with their;
a. start times,
b. end times,
c. durations.
Yes, you can see that info for any single chunk while you're working on that chunk and, yes, you can see the duration of the chunk in Soundbites once it's been rendered to audio.
But wouldn't be nice (and very helpful) to have a single window that showed all Chunks with Start Times, End Times and & Durations? And maybe even the ability to total up the duration values? Sort of an audio EDL? I know more than a few producers/editors that would like me to be able to furnish that kind of info.
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

nice idea!
modular

Post by modular »

I certainly like that idea. I can't tell you how many times I'm using one chunk and want to know the start and end times of another. At the moment, I have to play enable the other chunk, write down the numbers and then switch back. If there's a lot of data (Vis, audio bundles etc.) involved, it can be very time consuming. I'd also like it if I could change the SMPTE start times of various chunks from inside the "EDL" page.
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

modular wrote:I'd also like it if I could change the SMPTE start times of various chunks from inside the "EDL" page.
You can already do that from the 'chunks' window. From the pull-down menu select 'change start time'.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
modular

Post by modular »

Mr_Clifford wrote:
modular wrote:I'd also like it if I could change the SMPTE start times of various chunks from inside the "EDL" page.
You can already do that from the 'chunks' window. From the pull-down menu select 'change start time'.
Thanks Mr. Clifford. I've been a Performer user since 1985 and it runs on my computer at least 40 hours a week. I didn't know about that (even though it's been staring me in the face for God knows how long). I guess it just shows that I follow the same paths in this program over and over and never look at another way of doing things. I wonder how many other features I've been missing.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

BUT an edl would give some surprising options like trim/duration and crossfades if done completely. Could be a real excellent add on and bring in pro users. I would love global CF.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

What is global CF? I need a definition of CF for the abbreviations dictionary in the Tips Sheet.

I know what EDL is. Just not CF.

Please, when an abbreviation is not common or possibly not known to a lot of readers, give us the whole words, then you can shorten it in subsequent references. The only context I know for CF is in computer hardware: compact flash memory.

I try to keep a list of all these things for our readers, here, but I can't keep up with them all. A little help now and then would be much appreciated.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Shooshie wrote:What is global CF? I need a definition of CF for the abbreviations dictionary in the Tips Sheet.

I know what EDL is. Just not CF.

Please, when an abbreviation is not common or possibly not known to a lot of readers, give us the whole words, then you can shorten it in subsequent references. The only context I know for CF is in computer hardware: compact flash memory.

I try to keep a list of all these things for our readers, here, but I can't keep up with them all. A little help now and then would be much appreciated.

Shooshie
It just means crossfade Shoosh. No biggie. Imagine though being able to select master fader outputs and controlling crossfades into any song of sound effects build. Or... cutting exactly on cue to any piece of music and enable master outputs different on each cut.. This type of edit would GREATLY enhance any DAW for post and or album production. How about notes on cuts too like a real edl. Automatic ripple of the list when a new chunk is added, tons more. I have a CMX manual somewhere.

Even having multiple edits in parallel. One might be sound effects and another music, another dialogue for global assembly.

The only limitation might be you would have to render all vis before DP could really play everything in sync because of the massive track collection from the originals.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Doh! I thought you were referring to something involving Edit Lists. You did a 90-degree turn on me, and I kept going straight! :D:D:D

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

ouch hehe :lol: