" pre recording " audio?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
nikki-k
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

" pre recording " audio?

Post by nikki-k »

Hi!
Maybe I am dense and missed it, but I cannot find anywhere in the manual that mentions if there is a buffer of any kind when recording.

PT has it (only in quick punch?), so does Logic, and I think Cubase does. Logic's is sweet IMO. When you record, it records from the start of the count in (if enabled) or pre-roll, BUT the region created will be sized with the start at the point chosen (post count in). Huh?? Well, what this does is it allows you to stretch left to expose any bits that might have occurred just prior to where you intended to punch in, begin recording, etc.

With a punch, I love this because I can slip the material (essentially) so it lines up properly if I jump the gun ever so slightly, OR I might simply decide to extend the start of the region back a bit... there are other reasons as well, but the main point being that recording is occurring.

When I record in DP 5.13, I have not found any way to "pre record" like that, and looking at the soundbite itself would lead me to think there is no pre-recording going on. (and yes- I know I should simply record early to avoid the xmas rush... ;) )
pcm

Re: " pre recording " audio?

Post by pcm »

nikki-k wrote:Hi!
Maybe I am dense and missed it, but I cannot find anywhere in the manual that mentions if there is a buffer of any kind when recording.

PT has it (only in quick punch?), so does Logic, and I think Cubase does. Logic's is sweet IMO. When you record, it records from the start of the count in (if enabled) or pre-roll, BUT the region created will be sized with the start at the point chosen (post count in). Huh?? Well, what this does is it allows you to stretch left to expose any bits that might have occurred just prior to where you intended to punch in, begin recording, etc.

With a punch, I love this because I can slip the material (essentially) so it lines up properly if I jump the gun ever so slightly, OR I might simply decide to extend the start of the region back a bit... there are other reasons as well, but the main point being that recording is occurring.

When I record in DP 5.13, I have not found any way to "pre record" like that, and looking at the soundbite itself would lead me to think there is no pre-recording going on. (and yes- I know I should simply record early to avoid the xmas rush... ;) )
No, this does not exist in DP.

I use it in PT all the time, and I mean, ALL the time. I can't tell you how many times being able to move the punch-in point earlier has saved my a**.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: " pre recording " audio?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

nikki-k wrote:(and yes- I know I should simply record early to avoid the xmas rush... ;) )
Hee hee - either that or come in late all the time.

Y'know, even the lowly Editrack for Atari ST was ALWAYs in record mode. Never miss a take was an ad slogan if I recall. I really miss that and do wish DP was always recording 'just in case; I ever come up with anything resembling brilliance. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

My feeling is that, since you can always move a punch point LATER, it's good in DP to punch in early (on an audio track this is) - that way you never miss anything, and you can regain anything that you 'punched over', by simply dragging the left edge of the newer soundbite to the right, and revealing what is underneath it.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Indeed thats what i do and it does work.

I must admit though, the way logic is always recording is one of the only features I miss from my logic days and they were doing it way way back in logic 4.5.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Yeah, Kass, me too but a different brand - I never used Logic, but as a beta tester for Ensoniq (synth corp, o.o.b. for years...) they had this MR-61 Workstation we were testing, and it had a 'pre-recording' feature - like if you played something cool, but weren't in record, or weren't even in the sequencer, you could hit a button, and it would capture what you'd just done, and slapm it into the sequencer, where I think you could redo the click, to put it in time, and work from there. Actually, I think it remembered the last 16 things you did.

Kinda like an ex wife.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

tommymandel Wrote
Kinda like an ex wife.
:lol:

Except they only remember the BAD takes :shock:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
nikki-k

Post by nikki-k »

OK, thx. I scoured the manual pretty well (I thought), so when I did not see it...

I am guessing a "Capture Last ..." does not exist in some oddly named form either then, right? Typically, I will hit record with MIDI, and then if it isnt a keeper, Command+Z and return to last position, record again. (And yes- I have accidentally done that when a string of bad takes occurs...hence, I love Command+Shift + Z just as much...maybe more...lol...)

I am so tired of seeking for my holy grail DAW.. between DP5 (have not seen a full DP6 new feature list yet..is there one? Complete?) and Logic, I have almost every feature set. Cubase adds some cool stuff, and then once composed, I love using PT to track and mix. But that is another post...

nikki :D
modular

Post by modular »

DP used to have this feature when operating under DAE (worked the same way as Pro Tools) and I used it all the time. The audio was recorded right from the moment the sequence started to play with a movable boundary being created at the punch point. It was removed when DP 5.1 came along. I called tech support and they said it was an "unintended feature" that they might put back in the future. it was a real drag that a nifty little way of working was taken away Perhaps the feature was unintentionally removed. I sure hope it comes back.
MIDI Life Crisis

modular wrote:DP used to have this feature when operating under DAE...
I don't know how I missed that. Was there a DP specific instruction? Do you remember what version had it? I'd be interested in pulling my old machine out of storage and setting that up, just to see it work. TIA.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
pcm

Post by pcm »

modular wrote:DP used to have this feature when operating under DAE (worked the same way as Pro Tools) and I used it all the time. The audio was recorded right from the moment the sequence started to play with a movable boundary being created at the punch point. It was removed when DP 5.1 came along. I called tech support and they said it was an "unintended feature" that they might put back in the future. it was a real drag that a nifty little way of working was taken away Perhaps the feature was unintentionally removed. I sure hope it comes back.
Wow, I had no idea that was gone. Who could possibly have thought it was a good idea to remove that, and would actually allocate time and trouble to do it?
pcm

Post by pcm »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
I don't know how I missed that. Was there a DP specific instruction? Do you remember what version had it? I'd be interested in pulling my old machine out of storage and setting that up, just to see it work. TIA.
Yes, it definitely worked. I used to use it on DP 4.61 and DAE 6.9. The problem for me was that so many other things didn't work, so I haven't tried it since.
MIDI Life Crisis

pcm wrote:
Yes, it definitely worked. I used to use it on DP 4.61 and DAE 6.9. The problem for me was that so many other things didn't work, so I haven't tried it since.
It may have been hardware specific. I was using a lowly AM III card (I think that what what they called it). But that DIGI driver never was compatible with the card. Maybe that's why I don't remember the feature on my machine?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
pcm

Post by pcm »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
pcm wrote:
It may have been hardware specific. I was using a lowly AM III card (I think that what what they called it). But that DIGI driver never was compatible with the card. Maybe that's why I don't remember the feature on my machine?
QuickPunch (what Digi calls these feature we are discussing) is only available to DP when running under DAE, which therefore precludes any LE-based system, such as the Audiomedia-family cards. On the PT side, it is available to both PTHD and PTLE users, but DP cannot access Digi features unless DP is using their engine, not MAS. So, true, you would NOT have seen this.

I was using it under an HD system. DP flew with the finesse of a PTHD system, it was something beautiful to behold. But the bugs were too troublesome, and the motu techs always seemed to have never heard of any of them, despite them repeatedly logging things I would tell them. Naturally, I bailed on DP/DAE.
modular

Post by modular »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
As pcm said "it definitely worked" There was no DP specific instruction. You could just drag the boundary back right to the point where playback began. Would love to have it back.