The DP6 Countdown Thread

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by billf »

Timeline wrote:Wataya think shipping to Alpha Centauri will cost ya? :)

My life savings. :D
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
wolding

Post by wolding »

The new Sweetwater "Gear Encyclopedia" catalog has DP6 on page 30. But their website does not list it yet. I too am waiting (im)patiently.
Billo
MacBookPro 2.16MHz, 2Gb ram, 320Gb HD, Mac OS 10.6.1, DP7.1, Ultralite, 8Pre, OWC 500Gb ext. fw HD.
bOing

Post by bOing »

Spikey Horse wrote:...last minute mini features...or 'take smilies'

:D good take
:? not sure
8) sounded great .. ahem ... 'at the time'
:oops: wrong key
I love this idea. :)
Success is just one more plugin away! And happiness is as close as your next upgrade.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Timeline wrote:Wataya think shipping to Alpha Centauri will cost ya? :)
Easy. Call Fedex or whatever you guys call it and ask what a billion mile delivery will cost.

I think the star is 5 light years away at approimately 200 million miles per LY.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

4.7 light years nicky so at least they'll save a few bucks.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Good point Mark. That is a huge saving. :?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Well every cent counts when your talking 100's of millions of miles.

:lol:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
IAMLFO
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by IAMLFO »

Spikey Horse wrote:Of course the longer we wait the more time they have to stuff it full of last minute mini features that'll come in really handy....

.... I dunno, different fonts for the counter or something.

:wink:

or 'take smilies'

I'm still waiting for the aural feedback feature. You know, the feature that, while you are in the middle of a particularly good take or while nailing an improv a voice from DP6 says `You R-O-C-K ROCK!" or `You are a jam freak!" or in a sultry voice says`Can I meet you in your dressing room after the show' or says `I love you man!' The way I see it is that there will be hundreds, no thousands of exclamations that will let me know just what a musical gift to mankind I am. :lol:

-Kevin
24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MK2, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, DP 5.12, Cubase SX 3, Logic 8, DP 5, Finale 2008, GPO, Strad, Gro, JABB, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, Orchestra Gold, All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Atmosphere, RMX, Banshee Talkbox
IAMLFO

Post by IAMLFO »

Timeline wrote:What continues to bother me and I doubt I'll ever get used to it is the fact that in the last 10 years I have NEVER gotten one email asking me what features or satisfaction I have with DP nor what features I use and don't use. They appear like stuck up AH's for the most part with the few exceptions like Dave and some of the support staff. They tell us little and do their own thing and were out her as their sole support base. It infuriates me to no end.

If I had another option I would jump ship immediately as when I tried and spent 1500 bucks on Nuendo which was a bust.
I have found this kind of treatment to be the same sad story across all DAWs except two - Sonar and Reaper. People wonder why Sonar is so popular. One of the several reasons is because Cakewalk communicates with their users and then they incorporate features into new versions that came from the users. And to top it off they even say that the feature came from users.

As a former Cubase user I can say this was one of the most frustrating aspects of Steinberg. The company communication was *horrid* and features that had been begged for for years and years never made it into the product. The company came off arrogant and non-caring. A real shame because Cubase has alot going for it.

-Kevin
24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MK2, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, DP 5.12, Cubase SX 3, Logic 8, DP 5, Finale 2008, GPO, Strad, Gro, JABB, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, Orchestra Gold, All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Atmosphere, RMX, Banshee Talkbox
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I agree Kev.

My fave support people award goes to the guys at ATTO. I have always been included in requests for info on operations on their cards and treated kindly with "beyond service performance" and attitudes.

Recently when I had to buy Apples raid card because Apple changed the plug architecture and orphaned ATTO in the process, the tech guy spoke with me for a while and still mailed me links to outboard drive bays and helpful tips even though they had no chance of making money at that point. They're long term thinkers over there and it was simply awesome business.

If I can ever buy another one of their products in the future I will.
billf

Post by billf »

Spikey Horse wrote:Of course the longer we wait the more time they have to stuff it full of last minute mini features that'll come in really handy....

.... I dunno, different fonts for the counter or something.

:wink:

or 'take smilies'

I like these, hope they include them. Although I think they should add one more:

:x DP Crashed Before Saving Session
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
pounce

Post by pounce »

Timeline wrote:
pounce wrote:i'm ready for it, and i'm waiting as patiently as i can. i have a project i'd like to try this out on early next month.
You sire be a brave soul
i mean to say that i have an amateur project i'm doing that is low pressure, without the client in the room. still a number of audio tracks, so i can give DP6 a proper workout without a client over my shoulder. i think it would be a hoot. all the stuff i'm doing right now includes clients in the room the whole time. so i'm not so much brave, but i just am picking the most opportune time.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Well good luck. Fun is the best thing to keep in mind on any project and a low risk one is perfect for a first go.

I have had so many crashes today trying to remix that I'm a bit worried about stability of future upgrades. Lets hope they get all the carbon out this time.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

monkey man wrote:I think the star is 5 light years away at approimately 200 million miles per LY.
Actually one light year is about 5,880,000,000,000 (5 trillion, 880 billion) miles.

And remember, Fed Ex requires a zip code.
bjornln

Post by bjornln »

Killahurts wrote:
monkey man wrote:I think the star is 5 light years away at approimately 200 million miles per LY.
Actually one light year is about 5,880,000,000,000 (5 trillion, 880 billion) miles.

And remember, Fed Ex requires a zip code.
Gentlemen, grab your towels, beers n' peanuts...it's just a hitchhike away..
(if you get the reference)

/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.