The DP6 Countdown Thread

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

bOing wrote:[Damn, I knew this was a cult!]
Next NAMM come have purple kool-aid with us at the MOTU-MAC dinner. :-)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bOing

Post by bOing »

James Steele wrote:
bOing wrote:[Damn, I knew this was a cult!]
Next NAMM come have purple kool-aid with us at the MOTU-MAC dinner. :-)
Can I bring my own glass? I'm not too keen on plastic.
Success is just one more plugin away! And happiness is as close as your next upgrade.
J.Daniels
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by J.Daniels »

does any one have the full latest sos DP6 feature rundown: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr08/a ... p_0408.htm
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Much thanks for the link.

It must be getting close to 6 time :D
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yes Mark, almost 6 o'clock in MOTULand. :D

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
pounce

Post by pounce »

i'm ready for it, and i'm waiting as patiently as i can. i have a project i'd like to try this out on early next month.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I read on a blog somewhere that it's due for release in March. Hmm. Hope so.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

pounce wrote:i'm ready for it, and i'm waiting as patiently as i can. i have a project i'd like to try this out on early next month.
You sire be a brave soul
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre »

The only thing that surprises me is that there are no teasers / screenshots / spec lists on the MOTU website by way of pre-release marketing. There's obviously a stable working version or they wouldn't have demo-ed it at the trade shows so I'm sure they are in a position to release the details to whip up interest.

Personally, I am a bit fed up with Logic's core audio errors and occasional graphical bugs despite it's other great new features and am waiting to see if DP6 will be a good alternative to run alongside it for a change of environment when I need it. I need to see if they have changed a few areas of DP5 that I am not entirely comfortable with before I take the plunge.

D.
DP5, Live 7, MAX/MSP, Zebra 2, Apogee Duet
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The Sound on Sound article is encouraging. If you have a subscription (which can be had cheaply for a small number of issues, or $35 for a year for online issues), you can read the whole thing.

Here's a brief, tantalizing excerpt:
The Track Selector list has been 'unified', so there's now only one, which updates as you switch between different editing windows. Consolidated Window cells can now have tabs, allowing multiple windows to be active at any time and selected with a single click. There are brand new 'Inspector palettes', which can live in the Consolidated Window or float separately above other windows, displaying Event, Snap, Cursor and Selection information that continuously updates as you work.
Most of that was evident to anyone who watched the videos from NAMM, but it does confirm what was previously speculation or educated guessing. And there's more, though the author is still going by what he saw at NAMM. Nevertheless, he seems to have gotten more details than Magic Dave was giving in his presentation.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

What continues to bother me and I doubt I'll ever get used to it is the fact that in the last 10 years I have NEVER gotten one email asking me what features or satisfaction I have with DP nor what features I use and don't use. They appear like stuck up AH's for the most part with the few exceptions like Dave and some of the support staff. They tell us little and do their own thing and were out her as their sole support base. It infuriates me to no end.

If I had another option I would jump ship immediately as when I tried and spent 1500 bucks on Nuendo which was a bust.

I recently went into a studio and watched the engineer switch portions of 10 tracks of drums and preview them on ProTools by simply highlighting the section and switching between 8 takes. It was so seamless I was floored. He used the nudge arrow u-down button for takes and one button to re-preview.

Wow. They must still be thinking workflow. On the other side if the coin I hated the sound. :lol:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Timeline wrote:I recently went into a studio and watched the engineer switch portions of 10 tracks of drums and preview them on ProTools by simply highlighting the section and switching between 8 takes. It was so seamless I was floored. He used the nudge arrow u-down button for takes and one button to re-preview.
DP6 is just around the corner. Your implied wish will be fulfilled!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
billf

Post by billf »

Timeline wrote:What continues to bother me and I doubt I'll ever get used to it is the fact that in the last 10 years I have NEVER gotten one email asking me what features or satisfaction I have with DP nor what features I use and don't use.
I have wondered how they go about the process of deciding what each new release will contain. It does seem to be a super-secret thing. But as long as they continue to make each new release competitive, that's what matters most. So, we shall see how DP6 does on that front once it is actually released into the wild and the user reports start arriving.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Wataya think shipping to Alpha Centauri will cost ya? :)
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Spikey Horse »

Of course the longer we wait the more time they have to stuff it full of last minute mini features that'll come in really handy....

.... I dunno, different fonts for the counter or something.

:wink:

or 'take smilies'

:D good take
:? not sure
8) sounded great .. ahem ... 'at the time'
:oops: wrong key