NAMM REPORT (2nd hand): DP SIX!!!!!!!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Phil O »

OldTimey wrote:
Shooshie wrote: But I have to say, I'm not really suffering from lack of efficiency or speed. My quad Intel Mac Pro is plenty fast enough to handle everything that I do, and then some. I've even gotten lax about closing other apps while DP is open, whereas once upon a time I fretted over every CPU cycle and practically doled them out by hand.
i know what you mean! remember the old days? having to manually allocate RAM and what not? I used to turn my internet/airport off, close all browser windows, all finder windows...but no more!
I've choked my Mac Pro a few times, but not very often. With these new arachnids coming out, I think we'll be able to do some pretty exciting stuff at blazing speed.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

monkey man wrote: Well, I might have burned my backups in mac/pc format using Toast.
Do you think this could have done it?

How do I fix this? Any idea at all?
That may have caused the corruption. Unfortunately MM, i have never been able to figure out how do fix SD2 files once they go into the "land of unix-executables". Someone else out there might though...good luck!
why would i want to skin a cat?
taylor12k
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by taylor12k »

god, please i hope it doesn't look like that..

the thing that DP has *always* had over the competition is the tasteful GUI... all grey and easy on the eyes.... look at Cubase.. how the hell can people stare at that environment without going crazy! Logic, too, is getting out of hand..

if MOTU turns DP into a rainbow-blast of a GUI it will be a sad, sad day...

KEEP IT ELEGANT, MOTU!!!
zed wrote:
Spikey Horse wrote:...even a 'new' GUI (which I have no real issues with) will be welcome to 'enfreshen' the DP experience.
Here is a mockup of how the new GUI may look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajkandy/2080275722/

But I don't know if this fellow actually had anything to do with the design of it or not... so let's not get too excited or too flustered.
taylor12k

Post by taylor12k »

are they actually SHOWING DP6 @ namm? or just talking about it?

if it's on the big screen.. someone take a photo and post it!
taylor12k

Post by taylor12k »

let's hope DP-6 will enter the 1990's and NOT SPLIT OUR AIFF FILES INTO DUAL MONO !!! just leave them be!!
la peste

Post by la peste »

Dear all,
does anyone know if DP6 allows you to create your own IRs from a sinus wave or gunshot, as altiverb does ?
I am also wondering, as many of us here if it goes 64 bits (I know this question has been already asked ... kind of a petition ?)
http://www.hangars-liquides.com
http://slurl.com/secondlife/hangars%20l ... 20Liquides

MBP2,2Ghz, DP5.13, MachFive2, 828MK2, KYMA system, MOTM modular, Jomox Sunsyn, Peak 5.2, NI reaktor 5, Live 7, Intermorphic Noatikl, plugzplugzplugz, etc...
sourgrapes

Re: NAMM REPORT (2nd hand): DP SIX!!!!!!!

Post by sourgrapes »

James Steele wrote: 4) NEW INCLUDED PLUG-IN: MW LEVELER. This apparently, according to MOTU is an outright emulation of an LA-2A and will be included with DP.

5) NEW INCLUDED PLUG-IN: CONVOLUTION REVERB. I think Jim said this was called "ProVerb" and is a convolution reverb. Apparently it comes with a lot of IRs and can import them as well. Monkey man... I know this was something you've wanted.

6) EXPLODED TAKES VIEW. I don't know exactly how this works, but apparently DP now can explode the takes in a track and easily create comp tracks from multiple takes. Very cool.

8) VIs CAPTURED DURING BOUNCE TO DISK. There's no need to print VI's to audio tracks before bouncing to disk. Very cool!!!

9) PRE-RENDERING FOR VIs. Not sure how this works, but VIs have pre-rendering making DP much more efficient when working with multiple VIs. I don't know what effect this has on making lower buffer settings when tracking VIs practical, but I have high hopes.

10) ABILITY TO BOUNCE DIRECTLY TO CD. There is an option to bounce and burn directly to CD from DP without the need for Toast or 3rd party app.

WOW!! YES PLEASE!!
pietervd

Post by pietervd »

no more freezing VIs before bouncing! finally...
auptown

Post by auptown »

la peste wrote:Dear all,
does anyone know if DP6 allows you to create your own IRs from a sinus wave or gunshot, as altiverb does ?
I am also wondering, as many of us here if it goes 64 bits (I know this question has been already asked ... kind of a petition ?)
Yes, magic Dave has said that any .wav or .aiff can be used.

You can shoot a gun and record it, but I would avoid shooting anything from the nose!

(sorry-- I know it was a cheap shot :P)
MacPro 2x2.66, 5G ram, 1 SATA, 2 raptors, 2408 mk3, MOTU HD192, Mackie MCU
Dual 2.0g G5, 7g ram, 1 SATA drive, 1 IDE drive, Duende, Liquid Mix, UAD-1,
OS X 10.4.11, DP 5.13, MOTU 2408mk3, BFD, RMX, Atmosphere, EWQLSO Gold XP, Ethno, Grace m906, Blue Sky 5.1 monitors
MacBook Pro 2.13 3G ram, ext FW drive
melenko

Post by melenko »

Great news, and thank's a lot James!
I wonder if oldDPusers (I bought DP 5, just one year ago)
will have a special upgrade price?
That would be nice!
Tritonemusic

Re: NAMM REPORT (2nd hand): DP SIX!!!!!!!

Post by Tritonemusic »

James Steele wrote: 3) COLORED WAVEFORMS. My prayer answered. The colored bar at the top of the soundbites that seemed like a kludge are gone.
Man, you are not kidding. How cool is that?

I can't wait for DP 6.66. It will undoubtedly be the best version I'll ever use.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

:lol: :lol:

Hey, 666, that would be SCARRY GOOD, wouldn't it?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

FMiguelez wrote:.

Hey, 666, that would be SCARRY GOOD, wouldn't it?

Oops. I think I'm supposed to use this one, instead: :evil: :evil:
Talcott

Post by Talcott »

Pics.....I can't believe we don't have pics.....!

:!:
Talcott.info
Spikey Horse

Post by Spikey Horse »

Talcott wrote:Pics.....I can't believe we don't have pics.....!

:!:
I've started a new thread in the hope someone provides some ... magic Dave, do you have any screenshots by any chance!? big please :lol: