NAMM REPORT (2nd hand): DP SIX!!!!!!!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
auptown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by auptown »

What a NAMM show, I'm bummed that I couldn't make it out. New fun stuff from Spectrasonics, East West, and now this!

What a NAMM dinner this will be... :(

Oh well, good things are coming, now I need a bigger wallet again.
MacPro 2x2.66, 5G ram, 1 SATA, 2 raptors, 2408 mk3, MOTU HD192, Mackie MCU
Dual 2.0g G5, 7g ram, 1 SATA drive, 1 IDE drive, Duende, Liquid Mix, UAD-1,
OS X 10.4.11, DP 5.13, MOTU 2408mk3, BFD, RMX, Atmosphere, EWQLSO Gold XP, Ethno, Grace m906, Blue Sky 5.1 monitors
MacBook Pro 2.13 3G ram, ext FW drive
Talcott

Post by Talcott »

Nice...Way to go MOTU....now it 's time to buy an octo and upgrade to Dp6....
fawk Yeah! PROverb...mojazzgracious..!

How will it play with then new Mac Pro 8 bangers?
Talcott.info
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

Wow! I am impressed. I think I'm happiest about the BWF support, all the rest is just icing for me (and what sweet icing it is).

It's almost like they've been working on this and DP5 was a stall tactic to give them the extra time to deliver this killer upgrade.

It's been a while since I've been this excited about a DAW upgrade.
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

sdemott wrote: It's almost like they've been working on this and DP5 was a stall tactic to give them the extra time to deliver this killer upgrade.
It was a $200 stall tactic. I wish that I could have skipped straight to 6.
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100
auptown

Post by auptown »

sdemott wrote:
It's almost like they've been working on this and DP5 was a stall tactic to give them the extra time to deliver this killer upgrade.
I concur! It seems like I've only had relative stability for a month or two in 5.
sdemott wrote: It's been a while since I've been this excited about a DAW upgrade.
Me too. I have been HOPING (like the mm) that I wouldn't have to buy AltiVerb. I wonder if it will be 5.1 compatible?
MacPro 2x2.66, 5G ram, 1 SATA, 2 raptors, 2408 mk3, MOTU HD192, Mackie MCU
Dual 2.0g G5, 7g ram, 1 SATA drive, 1 IDE drive, Duende, Liquid Mix, UAD-1,
OS X 10.4.11, DP 5.13, MOTU 2408mk3, BFD, RMX, Atmosphere, EWQLSO Gold XP, Ethno, Grace m906, Blue Sky 5.1 monitors
MacBook Pro 2.13 3G ram, ext FW drive
jwfatgruv

Post by jwfatgruv »

Talcott wrote:
That's what they were using for the demo!
musicarteca

Post by musicarteca »

Shooshie wrote:Sounds great! I was kinda hoping for optional broadcast Wave support, But maybe that will come in the future. SDII is getting kinda long in the tooth, but it's still workable. Especially since you can now bounce directly to CD.
I am speculating here, but I think that is what they mean when they say support for HD video frame rate.
Alex Rodriguez
Legato Productions
www.legatoproductions.com
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Spikey Horse »

jwfatgruv wrote:
Talcott wrote:
That's what they were using for the demo!
Videos anyone?
jwfatgruv

Post by jwfatgruv »

musicarteca wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Sounds great! I was kinda hoping for optional broadcast Wave support, But maybe that will come in the future. SDII is getting kinda long in the tooth, but it's still workable. Especially since you can now bounce directly to CD.
I am speculating here, but I think that is what they mean when they say support for HD video frame rate.
No, this means you can select 23.976 as a frame rate to work in. But, BWav files are also supported now.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

My favorite new feature-to-be: VI's rendered with Bounce to Disk.

Thanks for the report, James!
Apparently there is some sort of BWAV support, but I can't remember exactly!! :-)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
aizo

Post by aizo »

proverb colored waveforms yatta yatta yatta.....

i want triplets in the DE!!!!! please MOTU!!! can you hear me? TRIP-LETS!!!!!!
MacBook(black)2.0/2.0/200(OSX10.4.1), iMac 20" 2.4/2.0/300(OSX10.5), DP 5.13(soon 6?), Ableton Live 7, MX4, MSI, Vanguard, Blue, Reason 3, Zebra 2, Sylenth 1, Automat, Komplete 5, Effectrix, PSP Vintage Warmer, Altiverb, Ozone, Trash, Vinyl, (old)828, 128 express, Wacom Bamboo,(2)Presonus Tube Pre, Roland JP-8000, Roland MC-909, Roland SH-201, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Pearl Drums, Paiste/Zildjian cymbals, ESP Viper, Shamisen, Shakuhachi
BobK

Post by BobK »

Very excited! Thanks James.

I was concerned about the future of DP after the release of Logic Studio, price cut and all. Even Keyboard magazine, in its review of LS (Jan 2008), said they were worried that it could 'have a chilling effect on other developers.' And when I checked Sweetwater's NAMM coverage and didn't see MOTU mentioned, I was starting to wonder, even though it's only the first day.

So I'm delighted to hear about DP 6, and hope to see it around for the long haul.

If that leveler is as good at what it does as is the MW EQ, I'll be really jazzed. And scalable tracks window? Colored waveforms? Exploded takes? VIs captured during bounce? Bounce to CD? It all sounds great. I'm ready to place my order!
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's funny, I visited the MOTU website a few hours ago and assumed from the lack of news that they weren't releasing anything at NAMM :-).

I had to first get over my horror at the first point in the list ("overhauled GUI") and am still extremely nervous about that, but all of the other points are pretty surprising and most of them quite welcome for their impact on performance and workflow.

In particular, pre-rendering VI's and bouncing VI's to disc. This could stretch the life of my aging G4 iMac still further and get me over my final performance hump, which is the stubbornness of MOST of the Arturia soft synths to render without crashing (granted, even the older ones prefer a more powerful machine, but ironically I have more trouble with them than the ones whose minimum CPU specs are beyond mine!). A most unexpected feature and worth the price of upgrade on its own.

The one link that I saw for a small image preview scares me though -- very gaudy and distracting colours, like the other DAW's that I rejected in favour of DP oh so many years ago. I LIKE the muted colour scheme of DP and how non-distracting its current interface is. Of course vertical scaling in the mixer window is most welcome, but that is a specific/detail vs. the scary statement that the GUI (and implictly the workflow and way of working with DP) has been overhauled.

Hopefully the hints that I read are wrong and they didn't go to a single-view for working with tracks. I like being able to "switch perspective" (to borrow a term from my primary development tool, Eclipse) from Tracks View to Sequence View etc. IT sounds like they have eliminated this in favour of a single view that is supposed to have enough easy-to-grab shortcuts on it to satisfy different purposes of working?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

You had me at pre-rendering!
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

rcannonp wrote:
sdemott wrote: It's almost like they've been working on this and DP5 was a stall tactic to give them the extra time to deliver this killer upgrade.
It was a $200 stall tactic. I wish that I could have skipped straight to 6.
I had this suspicion with the release of 5 and watching the problems etc i decided to wait for 6 also there was nothing i really needed in DP5 to justify upgrading to it but there is in 6.

For once this seems to have payed off :lol:

And 4.61 stablity has payed off for me and it still did everything i wanted in a DAW.

I'm most pleased with this update news

Just please PLEASE iron the bugs out of it B4 you release it MOTU and you'll have my business for a long long time
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang