Anybody have new EM mag? DP pitch correction overlooked?!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Phil O »

Does he mention in the article what version of DP he was using? Is it possible it was pre-pitch correction?

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
spirit
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by spirit »

Or maybe he's such a die hard TDM user (at this point DP's 2nd class status for TDM implementation makes it so a TDM user pretty much has to be a "die hard")- Pitch functions don't function in TDM mode. (Though one can switch audio engines, do pitch, bounce and switch back).
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Phil O wrote:Does he mention in the article what version of DP he was using? Is it possible it was pre-pitch correction?

Phil
I dunno, but didn't pitch correction appear in 4.6? That's been quite a while I think.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I haven't read it yet, but if they are miss=stating something, or not being fair, or whatever, they DO print comments or appologies or revisions in the next issue. An email can be sent to the editor, and they'd print a correction or a clarification on their next issue...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

No... you're right and I think they will. I'm just surprised that they could make such a glaring error.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

It's a glaring omission, for sure Jimbo, and it's got we Unicorns glarin' at 'em. :D

It's especially hard to stomach because EM's traditionally provided more support in terms of ads, reviews and previews for DP than just about any other mag.
Hugely disappointing, for sure, but it just might create an opportunity for DP to receive its own special review and treatment, and subsequently the chance to tweak the readers' taste buds into the realms of "good taste".

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Storm the Gates!!!!!!
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
tikibars

Post by tikibars »

As an occasional EM reader (they leave it laying around the lobby at the studio I work at most often), and a user of Performer/DP since 1992, I have to agree with everything written to date in this post.
But with all respect to all of you, why not stop whining about it in this forum, and write a polite but firm letter to EM expressing your disappointment (which I do feel is justified).
That will do a lot more good than all of the (understandable) steam-blowing going on here.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

tikibars wrote:As an occasional EM reader (they leave it laying around the lobby at the studio I work at most often), and a user of Performer/DP since 1992, I have to agree with everything written to date in this post.
But with all respect to all of you, why not stop whining about it in this forum, and write a polite but firm letter to EM expressing your disappointment (which I do feel is justified).
That will do a lot more good than all of the (understandable) steam-blowing going on here.
With all due respect: Duh!

It is written and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

James Steele wrote:
tikibars wrote:As an occasional EM reader (they leave it laying around the lobby at the studio I work at most often), and a user of Performer/DP since 1992, I have to agree with everything written to date in this post.
With all due respect: Duh!

It is written and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Double Duh!! you're not the only one :wink:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just bring this up again because I don't subscribe to EM. Did they ever print a retraction or apology or something like that???

waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

By the way, I think DP's pitch correction is a wonderful thing.

I've got Autotune and MD but I find myself using DP's built in pitch fixer more and more.
It is now my favorite of the three.
Once you learn the features it is a really powerful tool.

Another reason I can't use Logic for paying sessions.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

yes they did mention DP's built in pitch correction in the Dec issue (letters to the Editor)their explanation is as it is a DP specific app ,they wanted to focus on cross platform third party applications .
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

kgdrum wrote:yes they did mention DP's built in pitch correction in the Dec issue (letters to the Editor)their explanation is as it is a DP specific app ,they wanted to focus on cross platform third party applications .
KG
WEAK!!!!! Own up, already! If that were there reason then why give examples of pitch correcting in DP with some half-assed method using spectral effects instead of pitch correction. If that's really their explanation, then they take us for fools. I can't believe they'd weasel like that. I have a one word summary for their response... two syllables... the first syllable is Bull.
Last edited by James Steele on Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wheever

Post by wheever »

...Durham?
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!