Am I Nuts?!? Can I run EWQLO Gold and DP on 1ghz?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
emulatorloo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Am I Nuts?!? Can I run EWQLO Gold and DP on 1ghz?

Post by emulatorloo »

I think I am nuts, but I would be curious if any one is doing it.

Here are my specs:

QS upgraded with gigadesign 1ish GHZ single. I do plan to get a dual upgrade eventually, but that whole market seems to be in flux right now.
1.5 megs of RAM
Maudio Delta for I/O

DP of course, and I only use VIs occasionally.

On the other hand, I do have a couple other machines in my studio . . . A dual 500 that could probably host EWQLO to take some of the heat off, and an old PIII that I use for gigastudio or Emulator X.

Anybody have any experience, theories, or flames for me?
dix

Re: Am I Nuts?!? Can I run EWQLO Gold and DP on 1ghz?

Post by dix »

Yes, that sounds sort of nuts to me. A 1ghz machine is woefully underpowered for anything but the most minimal VI work in DP (Logic would be a far better DAW for that machine, but that's a different thread). If you get the less cpu intensive 16bit Silver edition of EWQLO you may get some more use out of it, but I'd say dual 1ghz is the minimal requirement for that VI and DP.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Originally posted by dix:
Yes, that sounds sort of nuts to me. . . If you get the less cpu intensive 16bit Silver edition of EWQLO you may get some more use out of it, but I'd say dual 1ghz is the minimal requirement for that VI and DP.
It is my understanding that, like silver, Gold is 16bit as well, but adds more articulations than Silver has, as well as adding "release samples." (which can be turned off) So strangly, your words somewhat encourage me.

Or am I still out of gas?

THANKS For Replying.
dix

Post by dix »

If you're looking for words that endorse the combo you have above, this ain't it. If "some use", as I say, is good enough for you then go for it. It's just my opinion, but I think it's a mistake.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

It's just my opinion, but I think it's a mistake.
I appreciate your honesty - and honesty is what I am looking for regarding this.

Thanks and Best Regards!
westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by westla »

I think you'll be disappointed with your results. Go for the Silver Edition or get a G5.
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Originally posted by westla:
Go for the Silver Edition or get a G5.
Thnks -- I appreciate the advice. . . .Silver and my current machine will probably keep me busy for a year or so.
dix

Post by dix »

Not to be a kill-joy again, but I have the Silver edition and I found it bogged down my old dual 1gHz pretty easily in DP. That's why I say the 2x1 is the real-world minimum requirement for EWQLO Silver.
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Not to be a kill-joy again, but I have the Silver edition and I found it bogged down my old dual 1gHz pretty easily in DP.
Hello dix:

Again, I appreciate the honesty. You mentioned Logic in your first reply . . . how was your luck w Silver and Logic?

I'm back to the MOTU world from a period with Logic -- logic kinda leaves me cold. Consequently I own Pro 6 as well as DP 4.12. However if it gets me where I need to be, maybe I could learn to love Logic.

As to where I am at and my goals here, trying to learn orchestral composition and add that to my pallete. Limited budget as I am only just getting back into trying to make money w music.

It sounds like my best strategy, short of a Dual G5 2.5 and Gold, would be to slap in a Dual g4 CPU card, and go for Silver. And get over my passion for DP and embrace Logic.
dix

Post by dix »

I'm not fond of Logic either, but it's easily 3 or 4 times more efficient than DP in terms of plugin resource management - although, running multi-timbral VIs is a real cludge (sp?) in Logic.

MOTU seems to be aware of DPs shortcomings in terms of GUI optimization, but unfortunately Logic has become the app of choice for people that want to do VI intensive programming. Let's hope MOTU continues to work to reverse this trend.

For orchestral composing there's NO way I'd recommend switching to Logic, so I guess the dual-1 thingy is what I'd go for, but those add-ons usually come with their own set of problems don't they? .....no need for 2x2.5 ($3k). A 2x1.8'd ($2k) do the trick.
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

For orchestral composing there's NO way I'd recommend switching to Logic, so I guess the dual-1 thingy is what I'd go for, but those add-ons usually come with their own set of problems don't they? .....no need for 2x2.5 ($3k). A 2x1.8'd ($2k) do the trick.
There are some dumb things that hold me back from G5 - M-Audio Tech Support claims my Delta RBUS audio card won't work in a dual 1.8, only in dual 2.x. or better. And I've got another PCI card that is end of life with G4s. . .neither a big huge deal, but both making me want to sit w my current machine a while longer.

And people seem to have pretty good luck w Sonnet and Giga Design add ons. . .I guess we will see! Both companies offer a 30 day MBG so that makes it a little easier to try it out.

At any rate, thanks for talking some sense into me re Gold. Silver probably fits who I am right now better anyway, and certainly fits the hardware I have right now better.

<small>[ March 28, 2005, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: emulatorloo ]</small>