Should I buy QuickTime PRO?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Should I buy QuickTime PRO?

Post by Jim »

I too think QTPro is well worth the money if you do a lot of file importing and exporting between platforms and applications. But, I want to warn you that as of this moment, QT7 has some severe problems with some particular applications. I use After Effects a lot, and just about everybody on my AE forums who jumped in too soon are complaining about crashes and other issues. Apple even has a downdater on their web site to take users back to QT6 from QT7... that's how prevalent the problems are.

It's not the first time Apple has rushed a product to market that wasn't ready.

The new codec and multi-channel features will be awesome whenever they get the bugs worked out, but for now, I'm sticking with QT6 (and Panther also), because I can't afford to beta test with all the work I have to do.

One more thing... If you have QTPro 6, you need to upgrade again ($35), when you go up to QTPro 7.

<small>[ July 16, 2005, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Jim ]</small>
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

yo Jim,

I use AE ALL the time (main video toy) - are you talking about forums on CreativeCow, or...?

I am just about to make the plunge and move from 10.3.9, DP 4.12, up to 10.4.X, DP 4.5/6 and QT7 pro... if this breaks AE (I have AE 6.0/pro), I will be in big trouble!

I used the so-called down-grader (QT7 to QT6) because I have QT6/pro and QT7 was just the player and I lost all the pro features, but I wasn't aware of the problems you are talking about.

man, sometimes I wish I could find a decent reference/matrix that would show me what would work with what, trying to keep track of all this stuff just distracts from making art!
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hi BK. My favorite AE forum is hosted by:

http://www.media-motion.tv

It's more of an email/digest based, as opposed to browser-based forum. What I like about it is: no banners, no ads, just talk. And not to mention that the most exalted AE gurus and heavy hitters, plug in developers, network and movie graphic designers, and Adobe engineers are prominent, visible and accessable.

Some of them cruise the Cow and other forums as well, but this is the one you want to subscribe to if you do any work in AE (IMO).

Apologies to the rest of you for getting so off topic.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance
midiw

Post by midiw »

Thank you to one and all for the excellent response to my question and also all the information provided.

How do you guys know all that stuff?

Well, today I went ahead and increased the wealth of Apple and purchased QT Pro.

Now how the heck do I make use of it in DP 4.6 as well as Cubase SX3?
Mac OS: Mojave
pastiche27

Post by pastiche27 »

yes I can confirm it... it works
Originally posted by BKK-OZ:
Originally posted by pastiche27:
if your into post production it is a must.... no more sharing WMP9 surround files ... YEAH!

surround - a must! bounce to quicktme movie is working great now . only for 5.1 sound though ;-( more soon to come i hope . the codec alløws up to 24 channels

im still trying to figure out if i can stream 5.1 or not .. anybody know?
sorry, can't answer your question, but can you confirm what I understand about your post, - do you mean that DP's new QT bounce feature supports a clean output of 5.1 AIFF files synced to a .mov file?