DP - end of the line?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Richard Simm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP - end of the line?

Post by Richard Simm »

OK, this is it. Has NO ONE had such a problem with 4.52 and OSX 3.8 (invisible menu items and inability to save ANY files) that they are DESPERATE? Come on! I have used Performer for years, and now have a great PowerBook with the latest system software. All my other applications work fine. What is it?

I am a pro musician with enough experience to get the best out of the resources I have available to me, but 4.52 works as if I had designed it myself (zero programming experience...)

No answers to my emails from MOTU reads like the middle finger to me, and I can get more out of Logic Express with its 130-page booklet than the 1000-page monster from MOTU, which doesn't even have a diagram of what SHOULD appear in all the menus. For Heaven's sake, I'm not trying to tax the program to its limits; I just want it to do some basics!

A few more hours and I've had it with DP for good. If there are any life-savers out there ready to tell me that if I would only do X or Y, or both, all would be well, and that I'm an idiot for overlooking Z, I'd be willing to lick boots for a year and humbly beg MOTU's forgiveness. But there seems to be darkness at the end of the tunnel...
builder

Re: DP - end of the line?

Post by builder »

I would try to help you, but your description needs to be better than that.......
Like what interface are you using, do you have many plugin's, which items are invisable ( I assume you mean grayed out....)

Deep breaths help too.....
Music - http://www.missingpalmerwest.com/Missin ... songs.html

Dual 2.0 G5 (Rev. A), 4.5 GB Ram, Powerbook 1.5 GHZ 1.5 GB Ram, (BLA) 828mkII, UAD-1 X2 , 10.4.8, DP 5.13, Sebatron VMP2000e, Sytek MPA, Many Mics
dix

Post by dix »

I'm not sure what the issue is. 4.52 and 10.3.8 are solid for me. "invisible menu item"? What menu are you referring to? Not being able to Save sounds like a permissions issue. More details please rikki.

...and I've never seen the Express manual, but if it's anything like the Logic Pro manual there's no comparison with DP's, which is widely regarded as THE best DAW manual.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bassie12

Post by bassie12 »

Sounds like there may be a faulty install. Permissions repairs, scripts need to be run, and maybe a directory cleanup with Disk Warrior. Repair permissions. Reinstall. Repair permissions. Maybe even defrag with Tech Tool. Repair permissions. Yes, again.

I've been running DP 4.52 with 10.3.7 on my big rig since 4.5.2 was available.Rock solid. Mixing, editing and tracking all day, every day. Lots of tracks, edits and plugins(I LOVE Altiverb!!)My Powerbook has 10.3.8 and is just as stable. I just had a vocal sesion cancel this afternoon, so will likely update the G5 to 10.3.8 today.

Good luck
Richard Simm

Post by Richard Simm »

Thanks Builder for the quick reply (deep breath). 95% of menu items are totally missing, not grayed out, so I can't even get to normal preference setup dialogs to see what studio-size defaults are for example. Command-n etc does however appear in the menus. I only want MIDI editing and saving for now, and I can get DP open with disabled audio just fine. I can also open existing files and see all the in-file details, as well as edit, but I can't save anything. A message comes up saying the file was not saved, and would I like to try saving with a different name? - which doesn't work either.

I have installed the program 4 times and repaired permissions. I have also checked that English is the main language in my system input when installing. The problem is present even with no devices connected, except Core audio/MIDI, so I don't see how interfaces or plug-ins could be to blame. I have a new Roland Digital Piano (HP7) for MIDI input, (Edirol UM-1X interface) but my initial struggle is with existing files, which I need to edit and save.

Perhaps it is relevant that I can play the Garritan Personal Orchestra virtual instruments ok on DP's track outputs, and record the results as aiff files in the Garritan bundled Studio software. But the same problems are there whether or not that program is running.

I know extension conflicts have always been a problem with sophisticated programs - could it be just that? My PowerBook is new, so there is very little in it apart from Apple bundles etc.

Is there hope?
westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by westla »

Originally posted by rikki:

Is there hope?
I think so. DP 4.52 and OSX.38 works rock solid for me. Sounds more like a OSX conflict/permissions problem rather than a DP problem.
Richard Simm

Post by Richard Simm »

Thanks for the ideas guys, but if it is an OSX/permissions conflict, how come everything else installs and works fine? DP must be hypersensitive, surely?
PG

Post by PG »

Is there hope?
There is always hope for a Viking.

DP doesn't work with Scandinavian OSX languages. Switch to English and your menus will come back. Spell checker's like Aspell will also make DP unstable.

This is because of some language bug in DP. I have a user account in English to run DP. But actually I prefer to stay in my Danish main account and run logic Pro.

My Odin be with you..
dix

Post by dix »

A message comes up saying the file was not saved, and would I like to try saving with a different name? - which doesn't work either.
I just remebered. I got this message one time and it turned out to be an issue w the audio files themselves, which had been imported from another DAW and presumably saved incorrectly. Opening them in Peak and re-Saving As SoundDesigner files fixed it.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
jackorhythm

Post by jackorhythm »

you didn't list your audio interface. when i first started w/dp 5-6 years ago i tried a generic interface and found that i lost a lot of options by not using one by motu. i go a 2408 and that has not been an issue since. as far as 4.52 is concerned, i had a few really crippling bugs (mostly spinning beachballs) that were cured by disabling background processing and beat detection. i am certainly waiting for 4.53.

i think that what we are experiecing collectively is the result of companies rushing their new versions out in order to stay competitive.
jpg

Post by jpg »

(invisible menu items and inability to save ANY files)

I had the same problem here (France). To fix it, just set up your system language in english.
MacPro i7 2.02Ghz, 12Go RAM, MacOS 10.6.8, DP 7.24, VE Pro5
PC i7 2.80GHz, 24Go RAM, W7, VE Pro5, Play, VSL, NI
wonder

Post by wonder »

no probs here....sounds like a crappy install.....
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
westla

Post by westla »

Everything points to a "language" problem. Set up an account with only english and run DP from there.
Richard Simm

Post by Richard Simm »

Come on guys! I really have tried all that. If it's a crappy install, where's the crap? I don't even need audio, just MIDI, but I need to see menus and be able to save, at least as standard MIDI...

Any more ideas? I've even tried Danish as a system language, since the delivery was from Denmark, also British English, since the user guide is written in such GOOD English, but the gibberish in the menus is identical in every case. If five permission repairs and reinstalls don't work on the very system software DP 4.52 was created for, the programmers need to stop sales immediately and employ a few experts to help. Sorry, but the buck doesn't stop at my place...
westla

Post by westla »

If five permission repairs and reinstalls don't work on the very system software DP 4.52 was created for, the programmers need to stop sales immediately and employ a few experts to help.
Well I think that's overstating it. I know many people using it here in LA for professional film/tv work on a daily basis, and no one has encountered or heard of this problem. I think it has to do with your specific set up, not DP.

<small>[ March 06, 2005, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: westla ]</small>