DP 4.12 really really slow

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jimbyjoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 4.12 really really slow

Post by jimbyjoe »

hi all

ok previous to one of my older threads, i got a new 180g HDD and put 10.3.9 on it, so I could run DP4.12. In hindsight I probably should've stuck with OS9/DP 3.11!!!! This thing is getting slower every time I use it!
Skipping audio, takes ages to open any menu options.
I've got a G4 867 with 768Mb RAM and a 2408/PCI-324.
Activity Monitor is constantly maxing out when I run DP, and no there's no other applications running (like Safari etc).

any suggestions, ie.more RAM, new Macbook and 828mkII.....
thanks for your answers!
k
Consider how much coffee you're drinking..
...it's probably not enough.
iMac 20" 2.4GHz
MOTU 828MkII
Digital Performer 5.12
Guard dog: Cattle dog
magicd

Post by magicd »

Yes, OS9 is more efficient than OSX on this model of Mac.

In the MOTU PCI Console software, disable any I/O ports you are not currently using.

In the Audio Hardware Driver window for DP, set Work Priority to Medium.
Set the Buffer Size to 1024.
This will help somewhat.

I wouldn't bother spending any more money on RAM for this computer. Time to start saving up for a new Mac.

Magic Dave
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Dp 5.12 is faster on my dual G4 than 4.12 ever was. I think some of us mentioned that. 4.12 was not efficient at all.

magicd is right -- put your money towards a new computer. (if you wanted to get DP 5.12 in the meantime, why not? Because you will need it anyway. And again, DP 4 was very slow compared to DP 5.12)

Consumer core 2 duo macs are great w DP:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21528
Last edited by emulatorloo on Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

DP 4.12 was a slow dog on any machine....

Dp 4.5 was them getting their OS X act together.. and DP 5.12 on a G4 is wonderful compared to the DOG 4.12 was

BTW I had a Quicksilver 800....
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
Dave Bourke

Post by Dave Bourke »

Until recently I was running DP4.61 under OS X 10.3.9 on a G4 dual 800 and it was like a dream ••“ rock solid.

Kind regards.
Dave Bourke
– ideation –

Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66 GHz, 5 Gb, OS X 10.5.8, iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.6.2, Mac G4 dual 800 MHz Quicksilver, DP 7.11, PCIe-424/24i, UAD-2 Quad/UAD-1e, PowerCore Firewire.
jimbyjoe

Post by jimbyjoe »

Cool thanks guys.

So you reckon I'd be fine running DP5.1 on my machine and it will be heaps faster?

If so, might have to convince the Mrs it's worth getting the 828mkII/DP5.1 pack from that eBay store...
k
iMac 20" 2.4GHz
MOTU 828MkII
Digital Performer 5.12
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

jimbyjoe wrote:Cool thanks guys.

So you reckon I'd be fine running DP5.1 on my machine and it will be heaps faster?

If so, might have to convince the Mrs it's worth getting the 828mkII/DP5.1 pack from that eBay store...
k
DP 5.1 is like a 200.00 US upgrade from MOTU from your DP3 -- www.motu.com

It will work fine with your 324/2408

I can't promise you it will be "heaps" faster but -- DP4.12 was dog slow. fro me 4.5 was a big improvement. 5.11 was a bigger improvement still -- dual g4 1.25.

Eventually though you will want a new intel mac -- I want one. Maybe you will want it sooner rather than later. Core 2 Duo mac is faster than dual g5 tower.

Be sure to read "Tracking The Big Cats" in electronic musician -- esp new cats in old cages.

http://emusician.com/gencomput/emusic_t ... _big_cats/

==
jimbyjoe

Post by jimbyjoe »

emulatorloo wrote:
jimbyjoe wrote:Cool thanks guys.

k
DP 5.1 is like a 200.00 US upgrade from MOTU from your DP3 -- www.motu.com

It will work fine with your 324/2408

I can't promise you it will be "heaps" faster but -- DP4.12 was dog slow. fro me 4.5 was a big improvement. 5.11 was a bigger improvement still -- dual g4 1.25.

Eventually though you will want a new intel mac -- I want one. Maybe you will want it sooner rather than later. Core 2 Duo mac is faster than dual g5 tower.

Be sure to read "Tracking The Big Cats" in electronic musician -- esp new cats in old cages.

==
you'll be pleased to know i've ordered an 828MkII and DP5!!!!!
so i'll spend this weekend fixing up my hard drives.

btw i also purchased disk warrior as all you guys rave about it; although because one of my HDD's is 10.3, the drive that went down was 10.4, so i couldn't run DW. so i did the next logical thing and re-installed 10.4. yes i did back up and nothing's missing, but not everything's in the right place..
k
iMac 20" 2.4GHz
MOTU 828MkII
Digital Performer 5.12
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

jimbyjoe wrote:you'll be pleased to know i've ordered an 828MkII and DP5!!!!!
The 828mkII is great! -- so you can see how it goes with DP5 on your G4. I would expect it will tide you over for a little while -- and then you can take it with you to an intel mac!

Let us know how it goes.

--
jimbyjoe

Post by jimbyjoe »

emulatorloo wrote:
jimbyjoe wrote:you'll be pleased to know i've ordered an 828MkII and DP5!!!!!
The 828mkII is great! -- so you can see how it goes with DP5 on your G4. I would expect it will tide you over for a little while -- and then you can take it with you to an intel mac!

Let us know how it goes.

--
OK one last question - in your opinion, do you reckon boosting my RAM from 768mb to 1.5gb will help with DP5 on my 867mhz?? I know ppl have said to save for a macbook, but if the RAM increase will help performance I might get it.
k
iMac 20" 2.4GHz
MOTU 828MkII
Digital Performer 5.12
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

jimbyjoe wrote:OK one last question - in your opinion, do you reckon boosting my RAM from 768mb to 1.5gb will help with DP5 on my 867mhz?? I know ppl have said to save for a macbook, but if the RAM increase will help performance I might get it.
k
I have heard that OS X really wants a minimum of 512 just to perform happily w/o anything else running. It has been my experience that the more RAM you have the better things perform.

I have dinked around w my g4 re ram configuration -- I noticed that whenever I went below 1 gig things were not as "smooth." There also seem to be a difference between 1 gig and 1.5.

If you can do the upgrade w/o it costing you a huge amount I would. In the states you can get a 512mb dimm from a reputable vendor for around 54.00 US. That's like the cost of a night out at the movies (you your date parking, tickets, popcorn, etc)! (which given what is out there is not much of a sacrifice) -- so I would say that is not too bad.

(I do hate advising you at this point mid 2007 to put more money into this machine -- but so far everything you are getting (besides this RAM) you can take with you to a new machine) I have not run OS X DP on anything slower than a single 1.0ghz machine, so I don't know how it is going to work for you. I have my fingers crossed.

A little more on:

There are some good ideas in that article, esp in the section "New Cats in Old Cages" re older machines.

He also mentions a freeware tool called "process wizard" which lets you assign more CPU cycles to whatever you want to (i.e. DP) -- I have been using that tool w no problem.

Since the article is pre Tiger I would add: -- be sure to get freeware "dashoff" to turn off the dashboard widgets -- those things eat ram and cpu.)