ilok 'fix'

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ilok 'fix'

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

My USB hub fell and my iLok went south. I have a second iLok as both MX4 and MachFive came with them, and all the auth's are on one - including Plugsound Pro and Extreme FX.

I tried the iLok in several other of the G5 USB ports but no dice. So I tried it in the Mac Mini, Still no dice, but as I removed it, the light came on for a second. So I reinserted it and jiggled it and it came on as long as there was downward pressure on the iLok. (Obviiuosly a loose soldering connection.)

Reinserted it in the G5 and the same thing. If I needed to send it to iLok for an RMA repair they'd hit me for $40. But I can transfer all the auth's for free as long as the Mac can see the old and new iLoks on the system.

Nothing heavy, but I did want to document this as some folks may THINK they need to send in their iLok when all they need to do is jiggle their dongle! Why pay someone to do that for you when you can do it yourself?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
sdfalk

Re: ilok 'fix'

Post by sdfalk »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:My USB hub fell and my iLok went south. I have a second iLok as both MX4 and MachFive came with them, and all the auth's are on one - including Plugsound Pro and Extreme FX.

I tried the iLok in several other of the G5 USB ports but no dice. So I tried it in the Mac Mini, Still no dice, but as I removed it, the light came on for a second. So I reinserted it and jiggled it and it came on as long as there was downward pressure on the iLok. (Obviiuosly a loose soldering connection.)

Reinserted it in the G5 and the same thing. If I needed to send it to iLok for an RMA repair they'd hit me for $40. But I can transfer all the auth's for free as long as the Mac can see the old and new iLoks on the system.

Nothing heavy, but I did want to document this as some folks may THINK they need to send in their iLok when all they need to do is jiggle their dongle! Why pay someone to do that for you when you can do it yourself?

Actually that's exactly what happened to me..thanks for pointing this
out for the rest of the class :)
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

sdfalk wrote:Actually that's exactly what happened to me..thanks for pointing this out for the rest of the class :)
I only did it to see your boxer again! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Jim

Post by Jim »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:some folks may THINK they need to send in their iLok when all they need to do is jiggle their dongle
I do that all the time, and I don't even have an iLok.
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Jim wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:some folks may THINK they need to send in their iLok when all they need to do is jiggle their dongle
I do that all the time, and I don't even have an iLok.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: