Black Lion Mod on 828mk1 (not mk2) Good?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
detroitdiesel
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Black Lion Mod on 828mk1 (not mk2) Good?

Post by detroitdiesel »

Not the mk2 but the original. Anyone done this? Happy you did?

I've got an original AND a mk2. thinking of modding both.

Thanks, DD
bkshepard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bkshepard »

I, too, would love to know about this, although this thread should probably be in the MOTU Hardware forum.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

Modded my mark I and I'm very happy ••¦ I noticed more clarity right away, even on my old tired NS10-ms.

I 'm happy HTH Schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
dixiechicken

Post by dixiechicken »

Black Lion Audio dont do the clock-mod any more.
They will be coming out with their own masterclock unit.

This is what they told me about their mod - as it pertains to MOTU-828:
As for the analog stages, amplifier bandwidth is increased from roughly 8mhz under the stock design to 250mhz under the modification. While it may sound insane that a circuit capable of 8mhz of frequency response would have a 'rolled off' sound, spectral analysis of the circuit shows about a 1/2dB slope in frequencies above 12k, and that gradually worsens to a 3dB dip in frequencies over 18k. This is corrected under the modification.

THD and noise sit at roughly -85dB in the stock design, and under the modification they are dropped to -110dB. While it would be one thing if the stock design's THD content was low order, it's actually comprised largely of high-order artifacts.

It gets a little more complicated than this when we're dealing with circuit slew rate. When driving an output cable, circuit output current is a more important factor, but on the input side, circuit speed is critical. The adaptations we employ increase circuit speed by nearly 600 times, so the input stages are capable of much greater depth and articulation. While there is an apparent increase in headroom, there is nothing to support this increase from a mathematical perspective. My theory is that the increase in circuit bandwidth and drop in THD+N lends a smooth openness to the signal quality that is reminiscent of increased headroom. We've not taken measurements for IM distortion, so I can't give you any information there, sorry.
Cheers: Dixiechicken
------
My God it's full of stars....
------
Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Nehalem/Xeon 2.93 GHz 32-GB ram, OS-X 10.13.5-Swe, DP-9.52, Unisyn-2.11, 828-MkII,MTP-AV usb, Latest drvs, Wavearts plugs, Kurzweil-2000, Proteus-2000, EPS-16, Pod-II,
Digitech RP-155, Soundcraft UI-16, Emes Kobalt monitors.
------
detroitdiesel
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by detroitdiesel »

DC- Thanks for the info. I'm fixin to send it in. Seems like a worthwhile experiment for the short $$.

DD