Isn't the 828 a bit long in the tooth?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
donato
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Isn't the 828 a bit long in the tooth?

Post by donato »

What would you expect as far as a new FW Motu interface coming out?
gregwhartley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by gregwhartley »

"We are all disgusting, doomed to our dirty little tasks. Eating and farting and scratching and smiling and celebrating holidays." -Bukowski
donato
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by donato »

But that's not really a successor, more of an either/or or an addition.
gregwhartley

Post by gregwhartley »

That's true, but I think it may be the new "828" line, so to speak. I don't see why they would continue producing new versions of the 828 when they could just start adding features to the 8pre to combine the two products into one very powerful box. Maybe someday the 8pre will become a 1RU, 192 kHz/24-bit, 8-combo jack input, MIDI, TOSLINK/ADAT optical, BNC w.c., SPDIF, AES/EBU, 2 headphone output, firewire powered, DSP (processing) beast! For now I'm still happy w/ my Traveler though :) . I would like to see MOTU pick up on the DSP thing however, like if they were to include a UA Expander sort of feature in one of their boxes - that would be completely killer! I guess I'm just asking for them to include every piece of gear I own/want into a single rack unit product - is that so wrong :? ? Next up would be incorporating a slide-out control surface...
"We are all disgusting, doomed to our dirty little tasks. Eating and farting and scratching and smiling and celebrating holidays." -Bukowski
jrdmcdnld

Post by jrdmcdnld »

Presonus and Focusrite (and others?) offer 2xadat i/o for 8channels at 96k or 16 adat i/o at 48k. Maybe Motu has something in the works that can compete (we're talking firewire here).