UVI workstation- M5 patches- SOLVED

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
oldecuriosity
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UVI workstation- M5 patches

Post by oldecuriosity »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:27 pm Oh man I never thought of this, but this is a totally rational solution. It's possible MOTU would have to pay AcousticSamples and PACE a fee to update the libraries to run on M1 Macs, which would make the incentive to fix end of life M53 libraries that much less likely.

Definitly gonna look into this, thanks for doing the research! :headbang:
Glad I can help. It’s not a perfect solution, as some libraries can’t be upgraded. For example, F Grand is a UVI product, not AcousticSamples, and it’s only sold as part of the Key Suite bundle. Probably not a huge loss because there are so many other quality piano VI’s out there. That being said, I didn’t realize how much I used the “Universal Instruments and Loops” library as well as the “MachFive Biosphere” in some projects, and no easy solution for those yet. AcousticSamples has their Orchestral Suite which is closely related to Universal Instruments, but not sure if I want to spend close to $200 for convenience but average sounds as opposed to starting fresh with something more powerful yet more expensive. Win some, lose some . . . .

DP 11
iMac M1 (24-inch, 2021) 16GB RAM
OS X 11.6.2
SMS

Re: UVI workstation- M5 patches- SOLVED

Post by SMS »

SOLUTION: First, as suggested, running DP in Rosetta fixes the authorization issue, and somehow Falcon was looking in the wrong location for the content (it was the UVI Ultimate Soundbank stuff that wouldn't authorize). Once corrected, all is well with Falcon in both DP and MainStage under Rosetta- M5 patches seem to open and work in Falcon exactly as they did in M5. Hurray! The two issues combined made it difficult tracking down the cause.

UVIworkstation also doesn't get the authorization error under Rosetta. I guess I didn't need to buy Falcon, but I'm glad I did- like M5, it's a great-sounding full-featured, and well designed VI.

Thanks for your help.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

SMS wrote:I guess I didn't need to buy Falcon, but I'm glad I did- like M5, it's a great-sounding full-featured, and well designed VI.
I’m a little too lazy to go back in this thread and look, but I might have been the person who suggested getting Falcon. So I’m relieved you like it. It seems like it’s pretty much MachFive version 4.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
SMS

Post by SMS »

Yeah… It’s kind of like Falcon is Mac OS and Kontakt is Windows so I get why Kontakt is the “standard” but Falcon really is elegantly engineered and sounds great.

I’m looking forward to not having to run in Rosetta I’m assuming it’s an issue with the iLok software?
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT