Motu 828 mk2 Firewire and Windows 10 Problems

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
klosar666
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu 828 mk2 Firewire and Windows 10 Problems

Post by klosar666 »

Hi,

I’m having that problem, Windows 10 crashes when I try to play music through Motu 828 mk2firewire.

I use Kalea Firewire pci card, it should be Texas Instruments chips, that's how they say in description.

I have installed the latest Motu driver 4.0.6....

In device manager I can see all the outputs,... also in the “sound icon in tray” I can see and choose the playback device no problems. But when I want to play some music via any music player, Windows 10 crashes, blue screen.

I have installed those Legacy drivers,.... without them, the Motu 828 isn’t recognized at all.

Please help soon as you can, I don’t want this go for 1 month. I waited now 1 month for that firewire card, LOL

Will search again and try to find anything useful online, but as I see a lot of people have the same problems, and it seems to be a windows 10 problems, and you must have figured out yet, so please help.

I have searched this forum and also can't find anything useful.

In device manager under the "Sound, video and game controllers" i can see "MOTU Audio Wave for 64 bit" and under details it says "device migrated".
But under the "audio inputs and outputs" whatever motu output/input i check, it says "device not migrated".

Also tried to install drivers with "compatibility troubleshooter" and the same, blue screen when i want to play.

Please help me guys i'm ultra desperate, i already made a support tech ticket to the Motu team, but i want to figure this out as quick as possible, lol

I think the problem is with the drivers because they are not compatible with windows 10.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day
terrybritton

Re: Motu 828 mk2 Firewire and Windows 10 Problems

Post by terrybritton »

First, in Device Manager I would disable (not remove) "MOTU Audio Wave for 64 bit". That is the MOTU Windows Audio interface, not the ASIO driver. It is VERY finicky.

I use Voicemeeter Banana instead as my Windows Audio interface to my 828 mk3 hybrid and Ultralite mk3 hybrid, which use the Firewire connection. It is far more stable, and most importantly it performs sample rate conversion efficiently when the content changes its sample rate. Those changes tend to crash "MOTU Audio Wave for 64 bit" on many people's machines. Make Voicemeeter the default playback device, and in the A1 dropdown in Voicemeeter at the top-right of the program select from the bottom of the list the ASIO 828 selection.

If you do not want to do that, try this: Go into the Windows Audio Sounds Panel (right click the small speaker next the clock in the bottom right and click "Sounds"), then go into both the Playback AND the Recording tabs and double-click (bring up properties) for each item MOTU Audio Wave for 64-bit creates and in the Advanced tab set each one to the SAME sample rate.

That is a good place to start. The problem lies in the fact that these MOTU boxes change their sample rate IN THE BOX when it encounters content having a different sample rate than it is currently set to. It "grinds gears" when doing so, and sometimes blue-screens the computer. You can help prevent that somewhat by setting all the Playback and Recording settings to be consistent, so it doesn't get confused.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
klosar666

Post by klosar666 »

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply and forgive me for my late response.

I have tried everything you said and still crashes...

I have two Motu 828 mk2, both with firewire and they crash the same.

On that Voicemeter Banana i don't have an ASIO 828, but ASIO MOTU, i click on it and it crashes.

Also when i try the other method in windows playback/recording devices, i have checked and all of the analog outputs were 44100 and the main output was 48000, when i switched to 44100 it crashed again.

The Motu tech support doesn't reply me, i don't know, for company like Motu it should be a piece of cake to make Windows 10 drivers and fixes for all kind of bugs.

I know there must be some little fix for this, as i see all the outputs/inputs on playback/recording devices.

Do you maybe know for that Motu program, which appears in the "tray" some black icon, i remember i had it installed before i had my interfaces, but can't find it now, nowhere. I was thinking to try with it, if there are any options or whatever to get my cards working LOL.....

Please help me out otherwise i will go to the doctor to ask for help, i don't know, maybe if i go to mental psychologist and he writes to motu tech support team, then they will help when they hear people going ••••ing crazy because they can make a 20mb driver to make work their interfaces on Windows 10.
Who uses windows 7 ???!!! I believe they are still many of them, but also the most g33ked win7 enthusiasts switched to 10 because of many hardware drivers not supported anymore in win7, WTFFF????!!!!! I have a amd ryzen built pc and there are not drivers for win7, so i guess we are kinda 2019 year and not 2002.

Thanks a lot and please forgive me if i've been rude, but i'm running outta my nervs and will crash the interfaces and send them to Motu, crashed and burned, as a priority 1st class royal mail, with Trump on the plane delivering my motus to the company, and will see then if they will make proper drivers.....
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
klosar666

Post by klosar666 »

I also have tried some older driver MOTUAudio_3.6.7.3 from Motu official downloads page, but doesn't detects any outputs/inputs with that driver.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

All those crashes are very unusual. Try calling, not writing, MOTU Tech support. They answer right away if you call early in the morning when they open - try calling about 9:05 AM EST. 617.576.3066

If I were the suspicious type, I would be most suspicious of your Firewire card.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

klosar666

Post by klosar666 »

Hey Terry,

I am suspicious too for the Firewire card, but yesterday when i checked online for Texas Instruments FW card it showed me the same company Kalea, the same as i bought over Amazon.de.

Would you be so kind and just take look at the firewire pci-e card that i have, so maybe you will see at the first look that is not good. ;D ;D ;D

https://www.amazon.de/ASMedia-Carte-con ... ay&sr=8-18

This is the exactly the same card, the problem is that i bought NEW and not used, but it came somehow used, on the chip i can see some white "ashes" around it and...

I will try to call them right now if they are available and see what can we do.

Thanks a lot and will post what Motu tech tells me
klosar666

Post by klosar666 »

But the problem is not the firewire pci card, as hardware.
Because i can see the outputs/inputs and also people used an older Mac G5 lool with firewire jack on motherboard and works. So i suppose that my pci card should be at least 10x better of that....????
klosar666

Post by klosar666 »

I will NOT call motu tech support because I'm from Europe and is too expensive...
I can only call the police, that i have a product from Motu, which they say in their homepage that is windows 10 compatible and can't use it, so let them further cover all the costs i will have with it. I don't have time to waste to try and try this to make it work??? i have work to do and need to make the motu 828 work as soon as possible. ••••ing idiots of motu engineers are not able to make a proper driver for ••••ing windows 10, it makes me wonder what garbage of trashes is their interface made of!!!!!

i can see people going crazy online, they buy a brand ••••ing new motu traveler or whatver other ••••ing product of motu for 1000$ and they have the same proiblem!!!!
holy ••••ing god!!!

i can see my tech support ticket is in progress.

thanks a lot for your help, but it's kinda fuking crazy, i have 2 of those motu 828mk2, and cant make them work with firewire, otherwise they are fully functional
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

I've never heard of that company before. But I do know you need to be VERY careful with electronics purchases on Amazon these days - lots of recycled used stuff is being sold as new.

My card is the Siig one here:
https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-FireWire-2- ... B000G6U8VY

That company is very reputable. It is a Texas Instruments-based chipset.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

klosar666

Post by klosar666 »

Ok, now i don't have money anymore ;D ;D ;D

But if the outputs are recognized in audio devices, then it must work!
I would understand my firewire card is bad if the Motu wouldn't be recognized at all.... idkkk

I've got the reply from motu tech support ticket:

1. Disconnect any MOTU hardware from your computer.
2. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
3. Right-click on "MOTU Hardware" and select "Change".
4. In the MOTU Hardware Setup window that comes up, click "Next" and then "Repair".
5. Restart your computer and reconnect your MOTU hardware.

LOL :D :D :D of course i tried it and still crashes.... I knew it from beginning it won't work, this is the problem in Windows 10 i think..... damn..... wish i hadn't buy those interfaces, now i'm stuck, lol
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Well, a crash is a very serious occurrence and is an indicator of something being extremely wrong. I would not blame Windows 10, as others have it working on their Win 10 boxes. What you CAN blame is still an unknown. But it is oversimplifying it to merely cast aspersions at Windows 10 or at this or that driver or piece of software. It is a very complex issue, and as I said - a crash is an indicator that some piece of that puzzle is very broken. We hit the usual suspect - the Firewire card/driver - and reinstalled the MOTU drivers. So, it is something else. I cannot help much more without having your unit in my possession (please don't send it to me!!!) ;-)

I would probably go to a clean installation of Windows on a different partition at this point. (The same Windows license would apply to both installs on the same machine. The installer recognizes the other copy of itself and makes a dual-boot automatically.) Then you can set things up without other stuff in there that could be making problems, and slowly add stuff you use until it crashes again. Then you would know.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

klosar666

Post by klosar666 »

Hi, thanks a lot for your help, i figured it out, the firewire pci-e is bad, will not return it to amazon.de, but never ever again buy from amazon and will tell all my friends to do the same.
I have checked my purchased and i purchased a NEW firewire pci-e, but when i came, it was used, as i mentioned before, there were some white/gray/black marks on the chips, like it was burned, motherfucking amazon scammers!

I was suspicious since the beginning and then a guy from Motu tech support wrote me back that he checked their 828 mk2 and it worked fine on windows 10, so then i had another windows 10 computer, i deleted everything, then it took me 2 days to install a hackintosh with Mojave and Sierra OS, to check if my Motu 828 will work there with drivers for mac, and of course, blue screen again. I pulled out the pci-e and crashed it in billion pieces in case i will be stupid again and try to make it work somehow. damn. now need to wait another 14 days to get another firewire card, but this time i will buy the same as the motu tech guy will tell me, if it will be too expensive like 1000€, i will go and scam/rob amazon the same way they did to me.

Will post here when i get that fw pci, not pci-E!!!!! if it work as it should, hope i will not have any ••••ing crackling noises that also many people have. I have 3x pairs of active speakers and 1x of passive, of course i want to bang them all!!!!!
••••ing china cheap electronic scammers, stuff made from plutonium meteorite to spare the money, radium 200.000+, the analyzer crashes!!!

i remember when i bought 4x led case fan 120x120 from ebay, the fans stopped working but the leds were still on HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA thanks god i figured it out in 1 week because was too hot LOL then never again bought any cheap fake stuff, made on the street, with no shoes and dirty hands not washed 2+ months.... and then i touch that and then smoke HAHAHHAHAHAHAH motherfucking china fake copies scammers, go to hell!
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

PCI and PCIe are not compatible. PCIe is much faster. Are you certain you have both styles of ports in that machine????

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/pci- ... patibility

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid