Unexpectedly quit

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Unexpectedly quit

Post by gavspen »

This is completely new, clean installation. Mac mini M1, Big Sur 11.6.2, DP 11.

I had it open yesterday but now it unexpectedly quits on start up, 6 times in a row. I dont even get to the checking plugins part. Splash screen, quit, that's it. I was running Rosetta (for the benefit of iLok) but even unclicking Rosetta, it wont open. I would try an update (although it was working yesterday so I dont think that would accomplish anything) except I cant do that if I cant open it. Nothing is different today. I am completely out of business at the moment. Any ideas?

This is maddening.

Gavin

PS I seem to be getting redirected to motu.com/de. (I did leave a techlink.) What's that about? My german isnt very good.
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
gavspen

Re: Unexpectedly quit

Post by gavspen »

Shut the Mac down for about 1/2 an hour (although I can see what that might have to do with it) and it's running again.

Someone save me from this incomprehensible madness!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When this happens to me (once in 11, too many times to count in 10), I start DP in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key which resets any paths to default. Quit. Restart again and see if you still have a problem.

There are other causes and solutions but this is the one to try first.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

gavspen wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:25 pm Someone save me from this incomprehensible madness!
And who else would that someone be, but Mike? Haha.

You mean start the Mac in "Safe" right? Or do you mean start DP while holding the shift key, having started the Mac normally?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

gavspen wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:26 am You mean start the Mac in "Safe" right? Or do you mean start DP while holding the shift key, having started the Mac normally?
Precisely. Old "stupid Mac" trick. Doesn't work with all apps but certainly does with DP. Normally, when this happens to me, it's after I've installed or updated some plugs or VIs—with a clean install, you would have done a bit of that. I figure that whatever installer corrupted another plug's path and Safe start lets DP and the MacOS rebuild whatever went south.

A Safe Boot (start the Mac with the Shift key held, log into your User account and let your desktop icons rebuild, Restart your Mac) is not a bad idea either after a clean install but doesn't take the place of a Safe start. If you see generic alias icons, a Safe Boot also rebuilds the Desktop. Another old "stupid Mac" trick.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro