MSI DAT file to any drive?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

reidc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MSI DAT file to any drive?

Post by reidc »

Can the MSI dat file reside on any drive on my system (including external firewire drives) or must it reside on the system disk?

Reid C
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MSI DAT file to any drive?

Post by chrispick »

reidc wrote:Can the MSI dat file reside on any drive on my system (including external firewire drives) or must it reside on the system disk?

Reid C
I know you can place .dat files for other apps on other drives. I do it for Atmosphere, Ultra Focus and Charlie to name a few. Presumably, this works for MSI too.

You do have to make sure you create an alias of the .dat in the appropriate /Library/Audio/Plugins subfolder. I'd assume MSI will want its alias in the MAS folder since it's MOTU, but check your manual to confirm. If not, then the Components folder.
alexff
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by alexff »

...thats right..but

some of us have had problems with MSI 1.1 and doing just that with the DAT file. The solution is to keep the DAT file in the default folder (whatever that is..)
Macbook, Leopard 10.5.1, Logic 8.01, MOTU Traveler.
---------------------
http://www.smoothbeatsonly.com
papageno
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by papageno »

alexff wrote:some of us have had problems with MSI 1.1 and doing just that with the DAT file.
In that case I would advice inspecting file owner and privs, this is best to do in Terminal.app.
I have had cases when stuff on external FW disk has wrong access privs or wrong group. That has been enough to mess things up.
Luckily there are cmod and chown commands to help out.
+372 56222285