Do's ans Don't's for a Crash free DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
thinkof1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

More things to avoid

Post by thinkof1 »

One of the great things about DP is that it will let you do most anything while the sequence is playing, unlike Pro Stools. Most things work without a hitch, and other just make the audio studder a little, however there are certain things that you must avoid generally when the wiper is flying.

Avoid edge editing soundbites.

Avoid moving the loop start or end markers if the wiper is already halfway through the loop or close to the end.

Don't edit fades

Let fades and crossfades be calculated before you hit play. Especially when your fading multiple soundbites. You can tell when they are done when the fade line turns from grey to the track color.

Thats all I can think of right now.

One more thing, email MOTU and thanks them for great software but also chastise them for not implimenting an Autosave feature!
Digital Performer 5.12
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz 4GB RAM 160GB HD
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 ghz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
Motu 828 mkII
silentway

Re: More things to avoid

Post by silentway »

thinkof1 wrote:One of the great things about DP is that it will let you do most anything while the sequence is playing, unlike Pro Stools. Most things work without a hitch, and other just make the audio studder a little, however there are certain things that you must avoid generally when the wiper is flying.
In DP 4, you can't change any track's record arm status or the record pass will stop. (Also, if the automation setting "mutes free resources" is on, muting a track kills playback too I think.) Has anyone tried DP 5's new "input monitor button"? I wonder if it improves this.
thinkof1

Post by thinkof1 »

silentway wrote:
thinkof1 wrote:One of the great things about DP is that it will let you do most anything while the sequence is playing, unlike Pro Stools. Most things work without a hitch, and other just make the audio studder a little, however there are certain things that you must avoid generally when the wiper is flying.
In DP 4, you can't change any track's record arm status or the record pass will stop. (Also, if the automation setting "mutes free resources" is on, muting a track kills playback too I think.) Has anyone tried DP 5's new "input monitor button"? I wonder if it improves this.
I was mainly speaking of editing while playing the sequence and not while recording. Of course during recording you would not want to mess around with the sequence for fear the the audio consistency may be compromised.

In DP5 you can change the input monitoring of each track while playing and recording, but the record enabled and track enabled status while playing only.

You can always punch in and out on the fly by using the 3 key or clicking the record button, but of course that effects all record enabled tracks at the same time.
Digital Performer 5.12
Motu 828 mkII
thinkof1

Post by thinkof1 »

by the way, with the new track enable button in DP5, you no longer need the "mute frees resources" setting since you can very easily either just mute a track or disable so it free's resources.
Digital Performer 5.12
Motu 828 mkII
MattC

Post by MattC »

Merge soundbites (or bounce tracks) where you've applied a lot of PureDSP-driven processing - a couple of times, I've had a track with lots of real-time processing become corrupted and during playback, start lagging behind the sequence, eventually crashing DP. If you've done a ton of tuning, best to be safe and just commit to it.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Matt
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

Actually that's one of the things I really like about Pro Tools and dislike about DP (& Cubase). It forces you to behave yourself and avoids crashes by disabling potential 'problem causing' functions during playback.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
thinkof1

Post by thinkof1 »

Mr_Clifford wrote:
Actually that's one of the things I really like about Pro Tools and dislike about DP (& Cubase). It forces you to behave yourself and avoids crashes by disabling potential 'problem causing' functions during playback.
Yea, I can see why you may want to avoid this idea all together. But some of us enjoy the ability to manipulate things on the fly. Especially when creatively editing MIDI and pasting audio. If you have a stable system with plenty of ram problems aren't too frequent. Obviously with ProTools you can't do many things while playing, with DP you can, but of course you dont have to if you'd rather avoid it.

One thing I will give ProTools praise for is having the auto save feature! I just incredible that many other programs refuse to add this feature!
Digital Performer 5.12
Motu 828 mkII
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

thinkof1 wrote:One thing I will give ProTools praise for is having the auto save feature! I just incredible that many other programs refuse to add this feature!
Good call.
You'd have to think 9.9 out of 10 DP users would use the feature if it were implemented smoothly.
One less thing to have to think about. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
arumdevil

Post by arumdevil »

thinkof1 wrote: One more thing, email MOTU and thanks them for great software but also chastise them for not implimenting an Autosave feature!
I felt the same way, so I came up with my own solution - which you can download here.

hth
regards,
arum

MacBook Air core i7 1.7ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD , UltraLite MKI FW, StudioLogic 990pro, DP9
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

arumdevil wrote:
thinkof1 wrote: One more thing, email MOTU and thanks them for great software but also chastise them for not implimenting an Autosave feature!
I felt the same way, so I came up with my own solution - which you can download here.
hth
Arum, you devil, you! :lol:
Thank you sooo much.
Should be installed tonight & in use tomorrow. :D

Why not post your link to the DP forum?
I meant what I said about the "9.9 out of 10" thing.

You (or your charity) could do quite well out of it, even 'though I doubt this is your intention. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
arumdevil

Post by arumdevil »

thanks, you monkey you ;)

just read through all the notes on the site and in the readme to make sure it will run on your system. The older version had trouble on some G5 systems. I removed the authorisation system to try to fix this problem but now it seems dodgy on PPC systems of OS 10.4.7 is not installed. I will try to fix it but if you use PPC you can still use the older version (maybe not on a G5 though??)

if you have 10.4.7 and a G4, G5 or Intel mac though, you should be laughing.

I thought about putting a link for it in the DP forum but wasn't sure if I would be breaking any terms of use or anything...... :?
regards,
arum

MacBook Air core i7 1.7ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD , UltraLite MKI FW, StudioLogic 990pro, DP9
arumdevil

Post by arumdevil »

ha, just noticed you are from Melbourne, are you familiar with the sound of the Cat Empire? I went to see them play in Bristol last week - they were amazing!

would be interested to hear how ASDP works on your G5, keep me posted!
regards,
arum

taylor12k
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by taylor12k »

i guess i'd be that .1 user... what happens if you make a change you eventually DON'T want to keep, and then all the sudden DP saves it over your last copy which DID want to keep...

i save every 3 seconds anyway :) and since Dp can save while it's playing, i'll often save when i sit back in my chair and listen to a latest edit...
monkey man wrote:
thinkof1 wrote:One thing I will give ProTools praise for is having the auto save feature! I just incredible that many other programs refuse to add this feature!
Good call.
You'd have to think 9.9 out of 10 DP users would use the feature if it were implemented smoothly.
One less thing to have to think about. :wink:
arumdevil

Post by arumdevil »

taylor12k wrote:i guess i'd be that .1 user... what happens if you make a change you eventually DON'T want to keep, and then all the sudden DP saves it over your last copy which DID want to keep...
You will still have DP's undo history to get you out of that one..
regards,
arum

catfishmusic

Post by catfishmusic »

Lots of great anti-crash advice on here.

Here's a very good tip that has taken me a long time to learn.......

"When it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Cheers